Feck Rust

Contact SUK it's not upto the dealer to dismiss it. Or ask if SUK have any other approved body shops near you

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The guy at the dealership was from the service dept so that's what's annoyed me the most as he probably doesn't even know anything about bodywork. He was very quick to say it's not covered under corrosion warranty as I must have damaged it. As I say it is a tiny spot just now but obviously if left it will become worse.

Have a look at my thread and please join in with pictures as I'm in a very similar situation with the dealer fobbing me off and the body shops contradicting the dealer.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/314084-rusty-sills-help-me-dispel-the-bull/#entry3759163

I rang Skoda UK this morning to air my corrosion issue and was advised to pay Griffin Mill Skoda Pontypridd a visit to have them take a look. I was then pointed in the direction of their Body Work garage in Bridgend 10 mile's away called Motorvation so quite frankly I was not amused being sent on a wild goose chase.

Nevertheless the boot and sills have been looked at and tested with a paint thickness thingy which proved there has been no previous work done and consequently the car has been booked in for a proper check this Wednesday.

The tester thinks the boot will be covered under the 12 year corrosion warranty but not sills as Skoda will argue they are caused by stone chips.

He said I should contest their decision on the sills and explain that the car should have had better coverage on the stone chip guard and that it is not acceptable for a car just 8 years old that is well maintained corrode and rust like this, pics to follow later!

Edited by billywhiz040480

I don't see how Skoda can say they are stone chips (in my case) as the paint is obviously flaking off and there is no real evidence that it is stone chips causing it.

With an internal examination of the sills, I'd expect to see significant corrosion from the inside.

I know someone who knows someone with the right tools, so I'll be looking to get mine checked out soon.

Some pics of the issue:

I've got two more pics one of the drivers and passengers sills but it won't let me upload them, they are both below 2mb so why not, I keep getting Error upload failed?!

post-43517-0-83135000-1399055459_thumb.jpg

post-43517-0-05956400-1399055474_thumb.jpg

post-43517-0-24740100-1399055485_thumb.jpg

Edited by billywhiz040480

You are only allowed up to 4mb per post.

You should be able to add them to a new post without issue so long as the total file size for that post is under 4mb.

Or you may have exceeded your allowed total upload quota, but I don't know what that is.

Our neighbour had a VW Golf Plus with a similar issue on the boot lid ('57 plate I think) and went to the VW dealer who didn't argue and agreed to replace the whole boot lid under warranty. That was last year.

• 1 year later...

I was driving behind a truck carrying stone on a motorway. It didn't have the cover over the load and stones were jumping out every so often. It was too late when I noticed it and was showered with loose stone. A few hit the bonnet and one hit the windscreen and cracked it. I only had bought the car new a few months prior to this.

Got the windscreen guy to come out and fit a new one. A while later I noticed a spec of rust appear above the window. This got a little bigger and I realised that it had to have happened when the windscreen guy fitted the new windscreen. I know this because there is another patch right in the top corner of the window. I phone up the repair guy & he said there was no way he did it and no way I can prove he did. 

Anyways, The patches are getting worse (see pic below) 

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do other than take it to a garage? I am flat broke and can't afford any expensive bill with the repairs right now.

Thanks 

post-114540-0-60679700-1437580434_thumb.jpg

post-114540-0-75602400-1437580444_thumb.jpg

Not doing anything has made it worse.   Get to alfrauds or your local car spares shop and get yourself a touch up kit , follow the instructions and do it yourself, at least it will slow down the rust.

The leading edge of the roof is vulnerable on the Octavia as it sits above the rake of the windscreen so any stones can make contact with the paintwork on the roof.

Depending on how the new windscreen is sat (it can vary by a few millimeters) can sometimes expose even more of the leading edge. 

Okay, so a black magic car.... has anyone just hammerited the bottom sill as a precaution, and if so, how does it look? It's only black so I'm wondering if it'll look acceptable or gash... my car is rust free at the mo and I'd quite like it to stay that way if this is a workaround them not protecting it high enough.

I hammerited the sills on a silver Nova years ago. Used silver hammerite and it looked well. Lasted too.

I was driving behind a truck carrying stone on a motorway. It didn't have the cover over the load and stones were jumping out every so often. It was too late when I noticed it and was showered with loose stone. A few hit the bonnet and one hit the windscreen and cracked it. I only had bought the car new a few months prior to this.

Got the windscreen guy to come out and fit a new one. A while later I noticed a spec of rust appear above the window. This got a little bigger and I realised that it had to have happened when the windscreen guy fitted the new windscreen. I know this because there is another patch right in the top corner of the window. I phone up the repair guy & he said there was no way he did it and no way I can prove he did. 

Anyways, The patches are getting worse (see pic below) 

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do other than take it to a garage? I am flat broke and can't afford any expensive bill with the repairs right now.

Thanks 

It may just be coincidence but i do know of a few people who have had new screens and a bit later rust has started to appear around the screen ! When they take them out if they are not careful they can scratch the inner sill where the screen sits so when the new one goes in you can not see the bare metal..... until the rust starts taking hold. I have never had a new screen but if i needed one then when the old unit is out i would be cleaing out the surround and looking to ensure all the paint was untouched by the tools he used.

• Like 1