real world mileage for 2.0CR?

We're currently in an 05 Mk1 Superb Elegance Saloon 1.9 PD130 manual and on our usual 35 mile run of A-class single carriageway roads (50-55 mph) and some villages (30ish) the trip computer often says 55mpg.

We've been looking at a late 13 or new Superb Elegance or L&K twindoor 2.0 CR as a replacement, but wanted to find out what I might expect from the 140/170 and/or manual/DSG? On paper, the 170 is very slightly thirstier than the 140, and the DSG is worse than the manual. VED will be higher of course, but what's the real world mileage like for the four combinations?

TIA!

so I get around 47/48 mpg for motorway driving with a 170 4x4 combi with a manual box. between 32-38 in town. the 4x4 is heavier, so that isnt helping on the MPG front but its a very very VERY nice car to drive about the place!

hope that helps

t.

Have a look at my Fuelly figures below. Admittedly I live on the edge of a city and do a lot of stop start motoring & short journeys. I do notice though that anything over about ten miles and the MFD shows around 38, not bad for a big car around town. Our Ford is a manual 2.0 litre 138 hhp and as a hard top convertible probably quite heavy - it,,'s roughly similar.

The Skoda seems unable to beat my previous car, a diesel Saab convertible which use to give me 46+ on fast motorway journeys e.g. At diff to Gatwick. The Skoda does around 42, there is hope though as it's only done 12k miles.

Around 48/50mpg but still new with only 6k kms on clock. got 52/53 on last 170. New model is slightly more efficient .I know it hasn't reached the figures of previous model but it's getting better all the time so I'm guessing I might get even 54/55 at some point. Skoda claim up to 19%, in reality a bit less maybe. Stop start while annoying at times makes a difference. I do mostly out of town - 80 to 100 kph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

is yours manual or DSG please?

Sorry it a manual and hatchback.  I notice on individual trips that I am returning slightly better than the last one. To put it another way, I notice that I get, on average, an extra day before I need to visit the pumps so doing 800kms a week it works out at just over 10% better.  I don't do a huge amount of motorway though which again would impact.  Also its usually just myself in the car with no major loads etc. 

Having said that, being an L&K its on 18" wheels and in the long run may make a difference also (i.e. reduce efficiency) but can't see any major difference so far over running on the 17s.

To clarify, in my earlier post I meant that Skoda claim the newer models are up to 19% more efficient than pre-FL models.

Emissions are quoted at 120g for manual and 139 for DSG (std models without extras).  My tax states 120g

My manual 170 has an average of 47MPG over the last 5000 miles, I always have the boot loaded and the speed sits on the legal limit most of the time on a mixture of all types of roads.

Skodas claim of increased efficiency stems from the use of stop/start which suits the test run that their figures are based on, it will be interesting to see what the real world results are like. 

• Like 1

My 170 4x4 combi at 9000 miles does 42/43mpg on shorter runs and round town if no major holdups, 45/47 mpg on longer motorway trips (I stick to 70 ish). This is measured , the computer is alway 12-15% optimistic

170CR DSG combi here. Over it's life time it's achieved an average of 36MPG (calculated when I fill up at the pump). My 2.0PD Skoda Octavia Mk II (140 remapped to 170+) manual achieved 46MPG in the same conditions.

Most of my driving is a 14 mile trip into work along a busy dual carriageway and a trip through Sheffield town centre at rush hour at each end. If I get a chance on a clear run of about 40/50mph that goes up to around 55MPG according to the onboard computer which is about 10% optimistic.

It's a big old car and the DSG box is a bit too keen to change up which I think has an adverse effect on economy.

A 140 tdi six speed manual estate here, local driving gives around 41-43 mpg and if on a decent A road, M-way run easily into the low 50's even with passengers and some luggage. 

I know that I, to quote the IAM make poor ogress but was wondering whether I have a very heavy right foot. I do recall though doing a very fast 300 miles in a Superb Greenline courtesy car and achieving 55 mpg measured by brimming the tank. I was amazed.

That's particularly good - was that the 'average' or just for that journey?  There are two consumption settings in the MFD.  The computer does consistently seem to indicate a higher return than actually achieved and is probably leading us all to believe our cars are more efficient than they actually are

on the face of it, looks like the DSGs are more thirsty than the manuals, supporting the emissions / efficiency figures in the brochure....

After driving both dsg and manual cars, before buying, I was surprised at how early the dsg's change up. This may help co2 figures when being tested for euro emission tests but I suspect It does not help real world fuel economy. It would be interesting to see the results if a dsg owner drove the car in full manual mode and changed gear at around the engines peak toque of 2000-ish rpm and compared the result to auto mode over a familiar route ?  

What about using S(port) mode ? - too far the other way ?

Chris

I don't have enough time in a dsg to know how it behaves in sport, although it would be an interesting comparison . Ideally somebody with a dsg needs to try the experiment, on familiar routes, and see if it makes a difference ? 

Sport mode is fun but rather tiring as it hangs onto the revs for far too long and never goes into 6th gear.

I only ever use manual mode when towing and that's only very rarely and only where I know the car will pick the wrong gear.

Life's too short to worry about fuel consumption :)

DSG in D mode changes the gears depending on how hard and quick you press the pedal. But as soon as you took your foot off - it puts high gear (to keep revs at 1200-1500).

In S - it keeps revs at 2500-3000 even at cruising.

If I would use manual mode - fuel consumption would be higher, because I would keep revs around 2000 when cruising at 60 km/h (most ofter city speed here). That would be 4th gear instead of 6th offered by DSG.