Turbo and Timing Chain fail on 1.2Tsi

CharlieB72

I may not be the brightest button in the box but I don't spend that sort of money without being aware of any possible implications associated with the transaction and have noted that, increasingly, technology has evolved to produce smaller engines with higher outputs (eg the Ford one litre Ecoboost) in order to satisfy MPG and emission criteria - whilst, at the same time, offering excellent performance figures and I'm not, as yet, aware that they're all exploding by the roadside.

yeah, technology has evolved but you cannot cheat the physics so a little bit of knowledge on subject would help you out with right decision. Just saying, it's your money after all.

I thought he drove a musical instrument?

I'm sure one of the mods will be along to send you to the naughty step for saying that! ;)

OK, this is my first post, but I have read plenty over the last year I have owned my 1.2 Dsg 11 plate. First of all, I am very happy with the car BUT I have today left my car at the Bradford Skoda dealers where I purchased due to timing chain noise on start up, getting progressively worse. The car has done this occasionally since I purchased it with 1700 miles,(10,000 Miles now) however I dismissed it as a characteristic of the engine until it has got progressively worse. Thanks to this site and all you good people I am 99 % sure the timing chain is on the way out. In addition to dropping the car at the dealers I have e mailed them detailing everything and also attached a video to their e mail of my car cold starting this morning with very obvious timing chain noise for around 3 seconds. I am assuming this will only deteriorate if not dealt with. Will keep you posted. Thanks to all who post here, it,s really useful. Thanks Daveyeti.

yeah, technology has evolved but you cannot cheat the physics so a little bit of knowledge on subject would help you out with right decision. Just saying, it's your money after all.

So can you please enlighten us on exactly what car you drive and your mechanic experience to support your "ideas", as so far you have provided no actaul facts to back them up.

I'm an engineer by practice, and although I passed all my physics exams successfully I do not recall any significant scientific evidence which could imply that producing "over hundred HP" might cause trouble. I wish you could share your engineering expertise with us.

The TSI technology is in general pretty similar to the one exists in TDI engines (e.g. direct injection with turbo charger), so no significant novelty here. Except of the timing chain issue, which was actually a design fault and has been fixed by the vendor (in 2012), no other issues are known (to my best knowledge). Based on my experience this is a sweet engine, agile and very fun to drive while very economical.

• Like 1

You are most kind to advise me to better inform myself regarding the purchases I make by acquiring "a little bit of knowledge".  And fully accept that you're "just saying", and that you have my best interests at heart.  I thank you sir.

I do look forward to benefitting a little more from your accrued technical expertise: as I've said I'm not an engineer like yourself and am always willing to learn from others who know more than I.

May I take the liberty of enquiring what is it that you would recommend to replace the, clearly inappropriate, car which currently drive?  I'm sure you'll have investigated what IS a more sensibly fitting vehicle and, as you'll have gathered, I lack the necessary information and education and technological background to make a truly informed buying decision.

I thank you again for your considered views and your timely and informative contribution which is valued and appreciated.

Just saying...........

• Like 4

You are most kind to advise me to better inform myself regarding the purchases I make by acquiring "a little bit of knowledge".  And fully accept that you're "just saying", and that you have my best interests at heart.  I thank you sir.

I do look forward to benefitting a little more from your accrued technical expertise: as I've said I'm not an engineer like yourself and am always willing to learn from others who know more than I.

May I take the liberty of enquiring what is it that you would recommend to replace the, clearly inappropriate, car which currently drive?  I'm sure you'll have investigated what IS a more sensibly fitting vehicle and, as you'll have gathered, I lack the necessary information and education and technological background to make a truly informed buying decision.

I thank you again for your considered views and your timely and informative contribution which is valued and appreciated.

Just saying...........

Don't normally comment on posts of this nature ,but I do admire your control and patience in dealing with children oldstan ,well done.

Glad I read this: As a result I just cancelled my order for a new Ducati Panigale as it's got a1.2 engine producing 192bhp: that's got to be asking for trouble - than goodness it doesn't have a turbo too!

:-)

Edited by Steph64
  • Like 2

My 2011 fabia 1.2 tsi is rattling away now as well after 8k miles. It is still relatively intermittent but getting worse. I am waiting until it is constant otherwise the dealer will just send me away for wasting his time.

Warranty is running out in September and I want to get it fixed before.

If they change the timing chain why wouldn't it do it again later? I have a 1.2 tsi yeti and that one is running quiet.

Other than that it is a brilliant car.

Hi Monkey brain, just had my cam chain sorted in 11 yeti. This a known fault for some 1.2 Tsi engines of this age. Starts with rattle on cold start. Fitted with updated components this should not re occur. (I hope. Watch this space!). I my case, I took a short video of the fault on cold start as evidence, as the fault was intermittent and this helped the Skoda service dept identify this known fault. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I bought a second-hand but nearly new Skoda Fabia 1.2 Hatchback TSI SE from the Norwich Robinsons Skoda dealer in 2011, and a few months back it started to develop a rattle on start-up (which I know now to be timing chain rattle). The car was first registered from new in April 2011. It's getting me worried now, since there is no shortage of traffic on the web suggested that these TSI engines have sometimes had timing chain problems. But when I took it to the dealer, they said that at the last service I had done (at an approved but not Skoda garage) they had fitted a new oil filter incorrectly (overtightened) and that this has voided the warranty. They also said that if the timing chain fails it will be my own responsibility. As evidence, the Skoda guy sent me a picture of the oil filter seal, which had some marks on it and was a bit bent. He also said the incorrectly fitted oil filter must have starved the timing chain of oil during start-up. Although I understand that some parts should be fitted at a particularly torque wrench setting, I find it hard to see how getting that a bit wrong (if that's what happened) could lead to actual engine failure. How can overtightening an oil filter take out a timing chain? Does this seem right to you?

Run high, I don't understand how an alleged over tightened oil filter can restrict oil flow, but I am no expert. I think the question here is the warranty valid? Perhaps get a second opinion from another Skoda approved service dept, and contact Skoda UK directly to establish if your warranty is void.

I bought a second-hand but nearly new Skoda Fabia 1.2 Hatchback TSI SE from the Norwich Robinsons Skoda dealer in 2011, and a few months back it started to develop a rattle on start-up (which I know now to be timing chain rattle). The car was first registered from new in April 2011. It's getting me worried now, since there is no shortage of traffic on the web suggested that these TSI engines have sometimes had timing chain problems. But when I took it to the dealer, they said that at the last service I had done (at an approved but not Skoda garage) they had fitted a new oil filter incorrectly (overtightened) and that this has voided the warranty. They also said that if the timing chain fails it will be my own responsibility. As evidence, the Skoda guy sent me a picture of the oil filter seal, which had some marks on it and was a bit bent. He also said the incorrectly fitted oil filter must have starved the timing chain of oil during start-up. Although I understand that some parts should be fitted at a particularly torque wrench setting, I find it hard to see how getting that a bit wrong (if that's what happened) could lead to actual engine failure. How can overtightening an oil filter take out a timing chain? Does this seem right to you?

Hi, What they are telling you is absolute c**p. All an over tightened oil filter will do is make it difficult to remove and that is probably how it became damaged! They are being awkward because you didn't have it done at a dealer and see this as a way of 'punishing' you. I would contact Skoda UK and also get legal advice.   

• Like 1

Hi Monkey brain, just had my cam chain sorted in 11 yeti. This a known fault for some 1.2 Tsi engines of this age. Starts with rattle on cold start. Fitted with updated components this should not re occur. (I hope. Watch this space!). I my case, I took a short video of the fault on cold start as evidence, as the fault was intermittent and this helped the Skoda service dept identify this known fault. Hope this helps.

Thanks very much. It's booked in in 3 weeks. It's sounds like I have a rattle snake under the bonnet so I will be amazed if they don't fix it. The funny thing is that with mine it gets louder the warmer the engine gets.

The oil filter being over tightened or lack of oil applied to the seals by techs is a known issue with Skoda. There is a technical bulletin about it. The filter and it's housing are not like the normal canister type we are all used to. A dealer would not turn work away warranty or not to punish you unless they had a good reason too. Perhaps they are not talking c##p after all. Maybe the garage who did the service did not know what they were doing or could not read because the fitting instructions are written on the side of the filter.

Sorry, but I just can't believe that purely over tightening an oil filter could cause engine damage. The only issue may be is that the seal may become dislodged, but this would be evident by an oil leak around the joint. Not putting oil on the seal would more than likely cause the filter to be under tightened and work loose, again causing leaks.  

As always, I stand to be corrected

• Like 1

By over tightening causes the bottom seal to come away from the filter and partially block on of the oil ways. It is not the seal which seals the filter to the housing to stop leaks from the outside but the inner one. I will try and post some pictures to explain later.

Had a replacement today: they installed the kit "03f 198 158 a" and I just paid the 30% of the material cost and the labour was free. My car is out of warranty, it has 4 years and 44000 km (I had 2 year warranty), but since I made the services they made the discount. The engine seems to run well, but indeed apart some occasional metallic starts it was good even before the fix...