Which towbar?

I've just taken delivery of my new 170 4x4 DSG estate and am looking at towbars.

I've googled it and some companies talk about a 'bumper cut'!! No way!

I'm after a detachable one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. To tow a caravan about 1500kgs max. (Not bought yet!!) also how much does it cost, generally??

I've got the Westfalia detachable fitted to my Superb - when removed you wouldn't know the car had a towbar. The only part of the bumper that should be cut is the black plastic 'apron' that you can't really see. Cost was £450 12 months ago

Edited by QuickNick

Same, Witter Detachable fitted to previous car - bumper cut, but it's underneath...

Al. 

ps. I do like my Westfalia that's fitted to my Merc, better than previous Witter! 

Edited by ukcruiser

Westfalia make the OEM towbar and the locking system is brilliant and easy, I had one on my old Octavia and Superb1 and thought they were great, to be honest their that good it's a no brainer if budget isn't an issue. Unfortunately my new Superb2 has a fixed towbar and I hate it, I'm always on the look out for a detachable Westfalia towbar as if I could find one at the right price I would swap it in a heart beat!

Just to hi-jack this thread - how good is the factory fit 'Goose neck' detachable towbar ?

I need to tow around 1200kg (inc trailer) to Switzerland - the car has a 2000kg capacity - what about the 'Goose neck' ?

Chris

I have the factory fit detachable towbar and it's been flawless for the 250 ish kg I tow with it. It's also completely silent while towing - the extra beep when the indicators are flashing is the only reminder that I am towing if I'm not looking in the mirrors. The same trailer rattled just enough to remind me it was still there on the hitch of the previous car (Octavia with a Bosal towbar).

The section of bumper they cut away to make room for the towbar is invisible from the back of the car and the hitch plugs vertically into it. This means you have to look under the car to be sure you're putting the towbar into the socket as there's nothing to guide you otherwise. My favourite feature is that the electric socket also folds into the bumper when it's not in use, so it's completely invisible when removed.

I tend to leave the hitch on (It locks in place, so no security worries) as it acts as a useful deterrent to the practitioners of touch parking that occasionally show up in every car park. The parking sensors do need some reprogramming to tell them to ignore the hitch while there's no trailer. Even though my car has the OEM fitting the rear parking sensors don't turn off when a trailer is connected as described in the manual, but I have a button to turn the front and rear sensors on and off in the car anyway. I'll be asking the dealer about this when I drop in next week though.

Westfalia make the OEM towbar

That is not true. The OEM Skoda towbar is made by Prof Svar and looks like this:

provmatic.jpg

While the Westfalia (which is also a very good choice b.t.w.) looks like this:

mcDzKGnsFIS-nLt5u78pdfA.jpg

That is not true. The OEM Skoda towbar is made by Prof Svar and looks like this:

provmatic.jpg

While the Westfalia (which is also a very good choice b.t.w.) looks like this:

mcDzKGnsFIS-nLt5u78pdfA.jpg

Hi, I stand corrected, Although Westfalia used to make the OEM towbars I didn't realise they had changed,

To answer the op question the bumper on the new Superb already has the bumper cut away for a detatchable tow bar. I got one fitted about 2 weeks ago at a cost of €550 from a main dealer.

With regard to their safety,there is no problem with them. I have one on another Superb for the last five years and towed a 1800/1900kg caravan all over Ireland and mainland Europe Still tight as a nut.

Even though my car has the OEM fitting the rear parking sensors don't turn off when a trailer is connected as described in the manual, but I have a button to turn the front and rear sensors on and off in the car anyway. I'll be asking the dealer about this when I drop in next week though.

The sensors should turn off - if you search the threads for tow bars, you'll see a few have had issues with 'factory fitted' tow bars. It's generally the dealer that does it and they don't seem to be the best.

• Like 1

To answer the op question the bumper on the new Superb already has the bumper cut away for a detatchable tow bar.

Did they change that with the facelift? I own a pre-facelift Combi, and fitted my Westfalia tow-bar myself. In my bumper there was definitely now cut present, and I had to make one myself. This cut however is not visible at all, since it is on the bottom side of the bumper.

Did they change that with the facelift? I own a pre-facelift Combi, and fitted my Westfalia tow-bar myself. In my bumper there was definitely now cut present, and I had to make one myself. This cut however is not visible at all, since it is on the bottom side of the bumper.

There are a number of software changes in the facelift, many ,ore options in the maxidot menu.

Thankyou to everyone who replied. Great advice as always.

This is the cutout  on my FL model for Westfalia Bar

attachicon.gif20140205_112908.jpgattachicon.gif20140205_113219.jpg

and display on columbus when trailer attached and reverse selected taken from on the forum here

Where's the cutout? and if I'm getting new, should I just go factory fit?

Where's the cutout? and if I'm getting new, should I just go factory fit?

Have highlighted cutout in red. I had mine done as a dealer fit, as I got a good deal. My dealer pointed out that the factory wiring prep doesnt include charging and fridge circuit for my caravan. It mentions this in brochure in small print on options page.

post-109690-0-84581300-1396007457_thumb.jpg

Yep they did. The bumper was already cut out and all fl's are tow bar preped except the greenline. Can't see the cut out unless you lie under the car.

Have highlighted cutout in red. I had mine done as a dealer fit, as I got a good deal. My dealer pointed out that the factory wiring prep doesnt include charging and fridge circuit for my caravan. It mentions this in brochure in small print on options page.

attachicon.gifcutout.jpg

Apparently there is a new loom attachment for genuine Skoda wiring looms to charge the caravan batt and power the fridge. Can't remember exactly the date but I think it's coming on stream around end April or May. Dealer says it just plugs into the existing loom. Will believe it when I see it. For a car that has won so many towing awards Skoda are sh&&e with towing electrics.

Yep they did. The bumper was already cut out and all fl's are tow bar preped except the greenline. Can't see the cut out unless you lie under the car.

Odd, the options still has towbar prep listed with a note provides single electrics solution - unsuitable for split charging (what does this last bit mean, I'm totally green to towing)

If you are towing a Caravan which requires a charging circuit for caravan battery, and to run fridge whilst towing on 12V electrics, you will have to get an extra bit called a split charger installed. Which is why my dealer recommended against factory prep as my total proper split electrics for 13 pin  installed at dealers cost less than the cost of factory prep wiring.

You also need to know which electric hookups you need 13 pin newer system or the older 7 pin electric hookups. Either way you can get adaptors but if only going to be using one type for duration of ownership get the correct ones :)