Octavia vRS vs Yeti

Lem

Test drove a vRS Octavia and a 170 Yeti back to back today and honestly found the Yeti more fun to drive! The TSI engine in the Octavia is a peach for sure, but I found the steering lacking feel and the general level of feedback almost artificial. It's also very dark in there with the black headlining.

The Yeti was a genuine surprise - really nimble and light on it's feet (tyres!) with a neutral balance and loads of feel.

I could imagine the Yeti to be more fun to punt down a winding road. Coupled with the practicality of the 4x4 and rear seats, I'm probably going to go for a L&K Yeti.

• Like 1

Had three Octavia vRS 170 TDi's before my Yeti 170 ... can honestly say the Yeti handled very nearly as well as the vRs's.  It was only when pushing hard on country roads did the vRS have the edge.

Had three Octavia vRS 170 TDi's before my Yeti 170 ... can honestly say the Yeti handled very nearly as well as the vRs's.  It was only when pushing hard on country roads did the vRS have the edge.

+1 New Octy VRS shines stronger when really pushing on. This is where you start to feel the higher centre of gravity of the Yeti having a negative effect.

L&K - great choice. Panoramic sunroof and Columbus as standard - two of the best features imo and silver sticking and gloss black cabin trim looks very classy. :)

Maybe I'm just getting old (I had a Jabba'd mk1 vRS back in the day which I loved to bits) or maybe it was the genuine surprise at the agility of the Yeti.

Think it will make the best fun/family hack compromise between the two.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm just getting old (I had a Jabba'd mk1 vRS back in the day which I loved to bits) or maybe it was the genuine surprise at the agility of the Yeti.

Think it will make the best fun/family hack compromise between the two.

Agreed - unless you need the bigger boot of the Octy. :)

The Yeti's compliant suspension is actually pretty handy if you want to get from A to B (or indeed Z) with the maximum of flow and minimum of fuss; much like our previous Subaru Outback, in real world driving, it's quite quick.

I was suprised the first time i had a test drive in a Yeti just how good they were to drive they did not feel like a traditional 4x4 at all. I have just orderd my third Yeti and at this point cannot see any reason to have anything different.. with a family i need the practical side and the yetu gives me this and a fun car to drive all in one package..

After owning 2 Octy's VRS's (pre & FL) Tdi's I can say hand on heart the Yeti is a nicer car to drive day to day, as above when pushed you can tell the difference between the two but I don't miss it one bit. 

I never thought the VRS was amazing, good but not great but the Yeti has turned out to be better than I ever expected.

Never had the VRS (had a drive in my mates a number of times) and was hugely surprised when I had my first drive in the Yeti. Due to the 4x4 and the heightened suspension I found it nicer to drive.

No wheelspin from a standing start (esp on damp roads), very good tracton, great turning circle, more compliant suspension - makes me a very happy Yeti owner!

I'm genuinely surprised at how quick the 170 Yeti is.

But for handling, I'm spoiled by my other car (Smart Roadster) which has almost Lotus-Elise like levels of grip and flat corning - I find the Yeti a bit wallowy in comparison - but surprisingly good for what it is nonetheless.

That the point you don't go out and by the Yeti if you want a car that handles like a Lotus, However it certainly doesn't show itself up on the back roads.

I had a remapped Mk1 Vrs before my first Yeti 1.8 TSI Elegance, only thing I missed from the Vrs was the huge boot, but once you get you head around stacking vertically the Yeti boot becomes less of a problem. Loved the Yeti that much I then bought my current 1.8TSI L&K.

Oh yes the turning circle is amazing, something I didn't expect

Tell me about it!  One of the many things I miss about the Yeti compared to my new Tiguan is the turning circle .... not to mentione the personality and economy!  Oh well you live and learn!

I also had the pleasure of owning a vrs Octavia MK2 estate - loved it!!!!  However I now have a Yeti 4x4 170 Elegance - Yes it is a dream to drive and feels like a tall version of the vrs with a nicer ride  - I have just completed 850 miles and decided to open it up today - I had a big beaming smile all the way home - then I treated it to its first snow foam wash - I love this car!!!

• Like 2

Am about to swap from an Octy vRS diesel to a Yeti L&K ( petrol)   Having driven the 170 version of the Yeti, all i can say it was just like driving the Octy but sitting higher up :)

The suspension was not as stiff as the Octy , but then Yeti is NOT a sporty car.

Have gone for the 1.8 petrols as i am so used to having the power to get out of junctions, & want the comfort.

Just praying that the prelim build date IS going to be the actual build date.

Having had a Yeti 170 and an Octavia vRS CR at the same time I'd say there wasn't much in it. Yeti had better traction off the line, vRS clawed it back once on the move. Yeti handled very well, but at higher speeds the higher centre of gravity becomes more obvious and at motorway speeds the aerodynamics tend to stunt performance and increase fuel consumption compared to the vRS.

Both likeable cars and good at what they do, but the Yeti is the better car relative to it's class in my opinion. Always greater than the sum of its parts.

• Like 1

I was also considering an Octavia VRs, but on the undulating Yorkshire roads having a few inches extra height & visibility in the Yeti does make overtaking easier.  I mainly use the power for nipping past the 42mph brigade (people who drive at 42mph on 60mph roads and 42mph past schools at 3:30pm, you know the ones!) not driving flat out everywhere.

No brainer for me, changed mk 1 vRS  to Yeti 1.8 SE, maybe not so quick but better comfort and visibility. Yes smaller boot can be annoying but at least Yeti doesn't floor out on the road humps around my locality when it's carrying a load. 

If I remember correctly, you said you were only going the Tig route to suit your new, heavier caravan? 

Yep ... love the new 'van not so keen on the car ... you can't have it all!  Roll on the Snowman ... then just put a dotted line in front of me to sign on!

• Like 1