VW key upgrade done.

Plop. Received the key upgrade yesterday and went to fit it this morning only to realise my torx kit (found in the deepest darkest corner of my garage) only consists of torx numbers 10 to 20. I don't have a number 6. So off shopping later I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

Just be becareful with the torn head screws they strip lat the drop of a hat! 

Yes they do - in my case because I made the mistake of reusing the screw from the Skoda key, it tightened up and the head sheared.... I'll worry about it if I'm bothered enough about retaining the silver bit when I change the car for the 280ps, 4wd one in 3 years time (or whenever it's available / Skoda are on my case to take a new one)

The Skoda screw is a self tapping screw for plastic and the screw on the chrome cap is threaded, most likely a small metric thread so always use the correct screw that comes with its corresponding cap and they will fit fine

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ordered my key.........................comes with the metal end as standard.........................cost a bit more tho.............£27K cira............. :S

But comes with a Golf GT estate as well....................... :giggle: ............... :rock:

• Like 1

But comes with a Golf GT estate as well

Out of interest, and completely off-topic, how come you went for that?  I was > < close to ordering one, but then saw that I could have a bigger and more powerful Octavia vRS with more toys for less money... but no metal key end (to bring it back on-topic).  I know it's personal preference, and part of me still wished I'd gone for the Golf (for ACC and CC controls on the steering wheel, if for no other reason), but it just didn't feel spacious up front, or in the back.  Nice big boot, but I don't sit in there  :D .

Out of interest, and completely off-topic, how come you went for that?  I was > < close to ordering one, but then saw that I could have a bigger and more powerful Octavia vRS with more toys for less money... but no metal key end (to bring it back on-topic).  I know it's personal preference, and part of me still wished I'd gone for the Golf (for ACC and CC controls on the steering wheel, if for no other reason), but it just didn't feel spacious up front, or in the back.  Nice big boot, but I don't sit in there  :D .

The Octavia makes sense for the "more for less", but it fails for me because The insurance is higher like for like, the dash/inside design does not look 14yrs younger & double the cost of my old Fabia, the 1.4TSi (which I went for) does not have the multilink axle, plus at 10cm longer it's a bit tight for the garage. Also I know that the Octavia has the 2lt & the Golf estate only has the 1.4TSI as the top engines, but with an ABT ECU the 1.4 puts out 170PS/290NM without affecting the tax or mpg! So win win!!! 

Basically I went through all the Skodas/VWs/Seats.................VW won..................the price diff between the Skoda & VW is cira £3K like for like, but the VW feels more like it's price than the Octavia!.

As for size I prefer the wrap around Golf dash..................rear legroom is good enough.............have you seen a BMW 3 series?..... :no:

... with an ABT ECU the 1.4 puts out 170PS/290NM without affecting the tax or mpg! So win win!!! 

As for size I prefer the wrap around Golf dash..................rear legroom is good enough.............have you seen a BMW 3 series?..... :no:

On the first of those points, and without wanting to start any sort of debate on chipping/modding or insurance, surely doing that would negate the difference in insurance costs with the Skoda?

The dash in the Golf is nice, but I just found the whole thing felt too cramped, and there isn't enough rear legroom when I've got the seat right back.  But yes, as I currently have a 120d, the first car I looked at was a 3 series estate... and promptly crossed it off the list because I can't afford a 335d x-drive which is the only one I'd consider to make up for the lack of room!

On the first of those points, and without wanting to start any sort of debate on chipping/modding or insurance, surely doing that would negate the difference in insurance costs with the Skoda?

The dash in the Golf is nice, but I just found the whole thing felt too cramped, and there isn't enough rear legroom when I've got the seat right back.  But yes, as I currently have a 120d, the first car I looked at was a 3 series estate... and promptly crossed it off the list because I can't afford a 335d x-drive which is the only one I'd consider to make up for the lack of room!

The ABT piggyback ECU is fully TUV approved & has a 2yr warranty which is insured not to f*** up your engine, if it does you are covered. also takes 5mins to remove & revert car to OEM, & does not leave a trace, Also ABT build the race cars for Audi & have full access to VW specs etc!. Yes the insurance goes up a bit for a mapped 1.4, but not a huge amount, & yes the vrs as standard is then the same................but I get a lighter nose weight, lower Co2 tax band.................& less obvious boy racer car................I also prefer the sports seats as standard in the Golf over the Octavias in the L&K & Vrs...............also don't like leather, Golf has Cloth & Alcantara as standard.................All personal choices.

• 1 year later...

Done both my keys as well. Really good. Makes a nice difference.

Tips# Use a handle of a plastic spoon to flip off the battery cover and a T6 torx bit.

Q8UICbQ.jpg

Done both my keys as well. Really good. Makes a nice difference.

Tips# Use a handle of a plastic spoon to flip off the battery cover and a T6 torx bit.

Q8UICbQ.jpg

Nice keyring, where did you get that from???