Gearshift illumination lights - how to turn them off

Footwell lighting generally turns off when the doors are closed. or gives you the option to switch it on/off manually. I doubt whether any manufacturer forces it on whenever the headlights are activated.

In the Superb - you can adjust the footwell lighting in terms of intensity plus switch on or off. Presumably the same for Octavia where fitted. Only active when headlights on.

• 2 months later...

That unit with the lights in will come out to enable bulb replacement - there may be the option to disconnect the LEDs thereby solving the problem.

Failing that try the marker pen or blue tac option.

There is probably a guide somewhere about the dropping the unit out - will have a search, the process is probably the same for Superb/Octavia.

Did you find out how to get the light unit out?

ive had the light unit out, justlots of pulling and bending - not something i'd do again without 'needing' to though. As i mentioned before tho, if its about the LED's, they are soldered onto a circuit board, and not a plug that can be disconnected. The LEDs are on long 'legs' that could be cut, but its a bit of a permenant way of disabling though

I noticed when driving to the airport last night when you dip the rear view mirror it reflects those small lights so it's hard to see what's behind.

my rear view mirror is auto dipping so no manual adjustment is required...... also I like the submarine lights (as they are called) glad the car came with them

• Like 2

Unfortunately this is what happens when you buy a car that is fitted with something you dont like.

Loads of cars have them now, although different vehicles have different colours.

Not really sure what to suggest. Sell the car?!! lol Think you may be stuck with them im afraid.

The thing that annoys me slightly, is that the infotainment screen isnt auto dimming.

I think you can control the brightness of them with VCDS under 09 CCM adaptations.

I will look into it but I'm saying that a lot recently about coding etc. Lol

I quite like them though :-)

my rear view mirror is auto dipping so no manual adjustment is required...... also I like the submarine lights (as they are called) glad the car came with them

Same for me...  though I'd prefer the lights to be red rather than the bright white they are.

The thing that annoys me slightly, is that the infotainment screen isnt auto dimming.

I think it saves two lighting settings, one with the lights on and one without.  Certainly as soon as my lights come on the illumination changes on the admundsen. 

Mine does. It adjusts automatically to ambient light with the rest of the instruments.

Mine does. It adjusts automatically to ambient light with the rest of the instruments.

Sorry yes, i may have worded my comment badly. I was thinking more like automatically changing to the night settings.

I believe it does dim slightly when it gets darker, but that isnt always enough if pitch black outside.

The other night i changed it over to night settings, and it was much better.

Its only a minor thing though.

Sorry yes, i may have worded my comment badly. I was thinking more like automatically changing to the night settings.

I believe it does dim slightly when it gets darker, but that isnt always enough if pitch black outside.

The other night i changed it over to night settings, and it was much better.

Its only a minor thing though.

Can't you set it to Automatically switch between day and night when the headlights come on?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk