4*4 170 Estate, tyre wear

Hi

A while ago I asked on here about other driver's experiences with this model and the tyre wear experienced, as mine had got through a complete set in 9k miles, and has gone half way through the replacement set in 4k miles.

There's a variable whine developing at 45, and 65 and again at 80, and a shimmy over the whole car has reappeared since all the toe-in and so on have been corrected. They were wildly out, having been reset in January 4k miles ago.

Sinclair Skoda have been, as usual, exemplary in their customer service, and we now have Skoda UK on board to get to the bottom of this awful tyre wear. At that level of attrition it adds over £60 to every journey of between 800-1000 miles - unacceptable!

Apart from that and the hassle of it all, including a 100 mile round trip to Sinclair , the car has been a dream, with terrific power, acceleration and comfort.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your info from before!

George

I have a 4x4 140 DSG and got 18k out of the first set, and have currently done 6k on the 2nd set, Conti sport 2's originally and now on the latest contis (5's I think??)

Very happy with that so far - although admittedly I am down on power and torque on you, but your tyre wear does seem very excessive

Abnormal tyre wear usually is due to one (or combinations) of the reasons:

- unknown tyre manufacturer

- driving at high speeds (160+) or higher speed than speed index

- wrong suspension geometry

- wrong tyre pressure (one of the most common reasons)

- using tyres at extreme temperatures - e.g. winter tyres above 7C or summer tyres below 5C

Abnormal tyre wear usually is due to one (or combinations) of the reasons:

- unknown tyre manufacturer

- driving at high speeds (160+) or higher speed than speed index

- wrong suspension geometry

- wrong tyre pressure (one of the most common reasons)

- using tyres at extreme temperatures - e.g. winter tyres above 7C or summer tyres below 5C

Or certain brands of conti's

We currently have a Volvo XC70 D5 AWD and we are considering a Superb 4x4 140 tdi estate elegance as a replacement in June.

Our Volvo has 215bhp and shows 30,000 miles on the mileometer. It has 5mm of tread left on all of the original Pirelli Scorpion tyres, and no I do not drive it carefully.

Skoda UK have agreed to underpin all investigations Into the tyre wear, AND the vibration at certain speeds.

There is quite definitely something not right somewhere.

I'll let you know, but meantime full marks Sinclair Skoda, and Skoda UK

Hi Freshacre 

I've got a similar problem - my first set lasted 13k miles, and the second set has now worn the rears out at 9.5K. Currently 5mm tread depth on the inside wheel tread, 1.6mm on the outside tread on both back tyres. I check my pressures every weekend and adjust to keep spot on recommended pressures. 

Both sets Continental - ContiSport 3 original fit, ContiSport 5 second set 

At  the 13K change I had full 4 wheel alignment check and will get the full check again next weekend. 

I also get a shimmy when crossing the white lines of a motorway  lane changing - almost like the back end of the car is ever so slightly loose - is that what you experience? At all other times it tracks like it is on rails. Don't get the whine though

In al other respects the car is fantastic.

Good luck, and look forward to seeing the outcome.

Edited by CBF

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

My 62 plate 170 4x4 Manual Saloon is 18 months old and has not yet reached 11k miles. It is on its original tyres which are Continentals.

I noticed a few days back that the fronts looked a bit worn (3mm) so thought I'd swap them to the rear. On checking the rears they are also at 3mm which I thought was odd. OK so it is 4WD capable but my understanding is that the rear only kicks in when the front loses traction. Is it likely that I'm driving in 4WD mode more often than I think? The trouble is, as a driver, you get no indication that the 4WD system is operating.

Dave

• 4 months later...

Hi, new here but been reading and gleaning info for a while. Has anyone had sidewall failure problems with original fitment tyres?

To explain further, I have a 2014 Superb Estate 170 4x4 DSG and have so far trashed the original fitment front tyres due to sidewall damage, the most recent yeterday at I guess less than 5 MPH caught it on a slightly raised concrete base for a manhole cover and could not believe the impact wiped the tyre out.

First tyre dont know when it happened tyre developed a slow puncture and can recall any advese impacts.

Have fitted a 5 XL as replacement to original currently trying to find one here in Romania for second replacement ( dont seem to be available )

Tyre size 225/40/18

Car has less than 10k miles on it

Very happy with the car but never experienced tyre problems like this in 30 years of driving.