Towing with new Yeti

fatgit

Just had a thought - is it OK to tow a caravan with a brand new car, or do you need to run it for a while first? 

We've booked a week away only 2 weeks after what should be the delivery date (7 weeks to go, although no build week received yet - not sure if that's normal with a Motability Skoda though) and I obviously don't want to damage it.

Cheers

It being a Motability car makes no difference to delivery time. It'll arrive when it arrives just like any other order.

No need to run cars in these days so I don't think towing a van will do any harm.

You wouldn't want to tow any great distance with a brand new car. I think the handbook advises you cover around 500 miles before towing. (Don't have my manual to hand so don't know the actual figure quoted). 

So hopefully you will have an opportunity to put a few miles on before your trip.

The Yeti Owner's Manual states:

The engine has to be run in during the first 1500 kilometres.

Up to 1000 kilometres

Do not drive faster than 3/4 of the maximum speed of the gear in use, i.e. 3/4 of

the maximum permissible engine speed.

No full throttle.

Avoid high engine speeds.

Do not tow a trailer.

From 1000 up to 1500 kilometres

Gradually increase the power output of the engine up to the full speed of the

gear engaged, i.e. up to the maximum permissible engine speed.

The red scale of the rev counter indicates the range in which the system begins

to limit the engine speed.

During the first operating hours the engine has higher internal friction than later

until all of the moving parts have harmonized. The driving style which you adopt

during the first approx.1 500 kilometres plays a decisive part in the success of

running in your car.

Never drive at unnecessarily high engine speeds, even after the running-in period

is complete.

On vehicles fitted with a manual gearbox, at the very latest shift up into the next

gear when the red area is reached. Observe the recommended gear

Gear recommendation. Very high engine speeds when accelerating (accelerator)

are automatically restricted

With vehicles with a manual gearbox, do not drive at unnecessarily low engine

speeds. Shift down a gear when the engine is no longer running smoothly. Observe

the recommended gear

The above is why I have told the dealer I am not prepared to accept my new Yeti unless it is a full month before I go to France. I have about 1600 miles of towing, what is admittedly light van, but I do not want to leave myself open to any problems, no matter how slim the chance..

Colin

Graham's figure was right - only it is in km! Page 129 in the facelift manual says the following:

"For the first 1000 km:

Do not drive faster than 3/4 of max engine speed

No full throttle

Do not tow a trailer"

1000 km = 625 miles so a significant distance after you get your car before it is advisable to tow.

Cheers - looks like I'll have to get some mileage in sharpish once it arrives (unless it's delayed, then there's no great problem as we can use the current car). 

General useage for us is ~60-100miles a week, so I'll have to  work out how to fit in another 450ish miles :o

Hi fatgit, and welcome.

Agree with all the above, but if you have to go I would do the following,

You have not said if your new car is Auto or manual, Petrol or Diesel,

in either case it doesn't matter all you need to do is "Warm" your car up before heading off

ie: to operating Temp.ie: 90

Then use the lowest Gear possible without touching the "Redline"., You will use a lot more "Juice",

but  modern vehicles the are made to cope.

P.S. have a nice Holiday.

Cheers.

We're getting the 110 Manual Diesel. The official changeover date should be May 16th if it's on time (order went through on Feb 16th), so we have 3 weeks (I got the date we go away wrong :p ) to get some running in it first. 

I'm pretty light on the throttle anyway and it's a light caravan - managed an average of 40.5mpg (brim to brim) towing 250 miles this week with our 1.4 diesel 207 which really struggles on inclines.

Storage site is 10 miles away down the motorway too, so it's going to get a bit of a run getting to it.

When you get it set aside a day to enjoy it and  just include a decent run to use a tank full without lugging in high gears or droning at constant throttle and no thrashing. Then use it normally for the rest of your 3 weeks. 625 miles isn't a lot. When you first make it work by towing ensure the car is fully warmed up first. After a 207 a day out in a yeti will be a joy and a 400 miler will be a joy.

Making sure it is fully warmed up is a bit difficult at 3:00 in the morning.

Colin

Why?

This fallacy keeps coming up on this forum, and to be honest it is total rubbish. When at work and on a day shift I leave for work at 0415, no matter what the weather. Within 5 miles I am getting warm air from the heater vents, even at -10 temperatures. By the time I get to Newtown 15 miles away the temperature is normal. The car is not garaged or covered!

We towed our caravan for 2000 miles through France a week after taking delivery of our Yeti. We did however put in about 800 miles of visits to family before towing. Towed brilliantly!

Steve.

All of my Skodas ( 3 Octavia 170 TDi vRS models and a Yeti 170 TDi) towed at just on the 500 mile mark with absolutely no ill effects, my current Tiguan is the same.

+1 with my previous Yeti.

Fred