Front Assist

How do I know Front Assist is actually working, except for the tick against it in the menu?

No indicator on the display, as with Lane Assist.

The car will stop itself if you're going to hit something....

• Like 3

The car will stop itself if you're going to hit something....

I wanted to say that but thought I'd let someone else state the obvious!

Joking aside there should be a way to confirm the system is working without driving towards someone's back bumper.

I have driven fairly close on both motorway (not quite so close) and main roads, to try and generate the icon but got nothing.

I was expecting warnings before you get too close to hit, with the autobraking as the last resort by the car if you ignore the warnings.

It is the only system in the car that does not tell you it is on (or off in some cases)

I just got the small alert yesterday (small cars with a ! mark between them) when I approached another car quite aggressively as there was no one else on the road and I could overtake. The car thought I was getting too close but didn't go into full prevention mode. I noticed the sign after I overtook the other car.

I usually (probably 5-6 times so far) get the full alert when people cut me off in city traffic.

i find i get the initial warning, small 2 cars with ! in bottom corner of screen, if there is less than a 2 second gap between me and person in front, when on a motorway at around 70mph

• 2 weeks later...

Well, now I know it works.  Someone braked hard in front of me last night and the red warning symbol (car rear plus chevron) immediately flashed up and warning sound given (although not very loud and did not over-ride the music).  I braked myself, so can't confirm the effectiveness of the auto-brake function.

I got the first auto-brake warning twice and you definitely feel it, especially with the VRS brakes. I hope I never get to experience the full thing... I doubt many cars behind me would be able to brake in time/hard enough.

I've had the big red warning sign a couple of times, scares the bejesus out of me which I guess is what it's meant to do...