Performance cars,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

@Lee

Probably shouldnt of bought up electric's but thats exactly where i think performance cars are heading....not to diesel

For the time they've been trying I just don't think electric will get out of the evolutionary cul de sac.

As for early 80s F1 cars. I wouldn't know about that :D

Edited by sparks03

If only they could have a diesel with the revving capabilities of a type r lol

Why? I have little experience of type rs and the whole v tec thing, but my understanding is that it's main power band is between 6-9k?

Diesels can pull from 2-5k so has a similar useable power band.

Back on topic, there's a broad horizon to performance cars, so it doesn't really matter what powers the car, so long as you have fun on the way :)

• Like 1

Sports car, but of a subjective thing. I still think my alfasud 1.5ti was more fun than my remapped tsi, yet was nowhere near it in terms of performance. Since the OP is referring to performance cars, implying a data derived definition then anything that achieves or better a threshold acceleration, vmax, cornering g etc must qualify. Personally, I'm a big fan of a 535d wagon, possibly over an M5.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

If you want a fun drive petrol always wins. 

I dont think its about performance, sound, smell etc but how the engine reacts. 

A petrol is sharper in its response than a deisal, making it much nicer to drive. 

Petrols also have longer rev ranges, for enthusiastic driving this is much easier to use. It makes gear ratio and selection much easier and its less corruptive to the chassis (im no honda fan, but this is what makes a type r great)

There is also weight, a diesal engine is so heavy compared to a same powered petrol. 

imo, these things make, today, the petrol engine a winner for a sports car. 

Or, would lotus fit an oil burner in there next car?

ive never driven an electric road car, but ive raced leccy and ic RC cars and the ic simply wipes the floor with electric. It has infinitely more character and you can waste energy and laugh about it. With a battery every degree of steering lock is a mile less youll travel!

Road going diesels that do 0-60mph in 5 to 6 seconds.

To me that's a performance car and people use the noise they make to say no?

I didn't realise a performance car was judged on the noise it made.

Must be why teenagers fit raspy exhausts to 1.2 Corsas. Makes them a true performance car.

Yeh, something like a bmw 640d is a case in point I reckon.

Sound of these diesels might not compare to a big petrol but the combination of high power and torque, alongside low fuel consumption and low emissions makes these diesels a serious proposition for many people.

I opted for a 2.0l diesel as I couldn't knock 184hp doing 0-60 in 7.2sec alongside 63mpg and £30 a year tax.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly ^^.

They make so much more sense if your doing the miles

Yeh, 15k a year here so need that mpg.

Personally, no. Diesels are reversed for been at best 'sporty

Reason i got rid of my Octy was purely down to the fact if it was to even look at the trackday it would most likely blow a seal.

It didt feel comfortable at speed, it didt like it, always felt as though you where constantly nagging it. Anything deemed perforance or even otherwise in petrol form, to me, enjoyed been revved out, it gets better as the revs get higher.

Theres a reason the derv runs out of puff a few hundred revs from the limit, it just bloody well gives up!

Personally, no. Diesels are reversed for been at best 'sporty

Reason i got rid of my Octy was purely down to the fact if it was to even look at the trackday it would most likely blow a seal.

It didt feel comfortable at speed, it didt like it, always felt as though you where constantly nagging it. Anything deemed perforance or even otherwise in petrol form, to me, enjoyed been revved out, it gets better as the revs get higher.

Theres a reason the derv runs out of puff a few hundred revs from the limit, it just bloody well gives up!

my diesel doesn't run out of puff

my diesel doesn't run out of puff

Neither does mine! Assuming that Le Mans Audi doesn't run out of puff as well.

But the Audi diesel Le Mans R class cars are just not natural, no real sound apart from thy noise of them pushing the air out of the way. One of the best things on a Sunday morning at Le Mans is getting up and listening to hear if the Corvettes/Vipers/Astons are still running, now that is a sound. The all conquering Audis are quite plain in comparison.

The audi le mans diesel is a racing car

True, I think theR18 is fantastic to look at, and Audi have been absolutely dominant, but as diesels they are as boring as hell as a race car. Definitely need sound.

True, I think theR18 is fantastic to look at, and Audi have been absolutely dominant, but as diesels they are as boring as hell as a race car. Definitely need sound.

I think we posted at the same time earlier. My point i was making is people bringing racing cars to a road going performance car thread abit like they did with tractors earlier in thread lol. I argee the le mans car is a beaut tho

Well all my diesels have never been able to carry all the way to redline before the turbo runs out of steam. Mine must of been broken..

Mine was on a stage 2 (Shark) map and by god did it speed up the rev's (almost to the speed that a petrol revs) but it had nothing on my little 172 Cup Clio.

Well all my diesels have never been able to carry all the way to redline before the turbo runs out of steam. Mine must of been broken..

Mine was on a stage 2 (Shark) map and by god did it speed up the rev's (almost to the speed that a petrol revs) but it had nothing on my little 172 Cup Clio.

If it was a VAG pd engine that's not surprising.