Can someone help an idiot?

So I've had the car for about 6 months now and the best I've ever done to it is half a bottle of wash and wax in a bucket and some rainX.

My problem is as follows: I don't have a huge amount of time to clean my car (maybe 3 or 4 hours from 3pm on Saturday which could be extended if necessary but not ideal as I share the drive and my side's the muddy side) I have no idea how to actually clean and protect a car and am confused by the amount of differing opinions in videos, forums and the web in general so I decided to come here because you own Skodas, you know what the paint is like on them (I've heard VAG paint is better than other models and can stand more abuse?)

Basically I have access to a Halfords store, and I have access to one of these things: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1714113.htm which has never been used to my knowledge.

My car looks like it's been in a rally stage at the minute because of a mess that contractors (agricultural, not builders) made when spreading slurry. Did I mention that it's supposed to be red?

So I'll have to get that crap off first, so 2 bucket method with car shampoo, but then after that I'm pretty much stuck and revert to a bucket of wash and wax because I don't want to damage anything or strip anything off that may or may not be there in the first place.

The car is covered in little scratches and swirls from the previous owner which I'd obviously like to remove, or at least mask a little if possible, but I don't like trying anything in case I strip back too much of the clear coat and do something stupid.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do and what's the best things to buy and best ways to use them?

Sorry for being an idiot here and I hope anything that comes from this can be of help to others as well.

There are many very knowledgeable people on here that, I'm sure, will give you much better advice than I can.

But it sounds like you need to get the swirls polished out as opposed to filled in and then wax or seal the paint.

Wash > Clay > Polish > Wax might be the way forwards initially. But I shall also await the responses from others.

After this you should be able to just wash and top up wax with a quick detailer to speed up your process on Saturdays.

• Like 1

Is there any difference between the different brands of clay or are they all pretty much the same other than cost? And are there any precautions other than making sure you use enough lube?

Have you considered using a clay mitt rather than a clay bar? Much quicker and easier to use. Can grab them from Halfords for £13. 

• Like 1

Thanks I'll get some that isn't wash and wax and get a mit on Saturday. Does anyone have any advice on using that type of polish/weather or not to use it? I've seen a few videos about the angle grinder type ones but not these. And can anyone recommend a polish to go with it?

In terms of polishing machine, Dual Action seems to be preferred over rotary for beginners.

In terms of what pads or polishing compounds to use, I will admit to being confused myself.

A few simple suggestions:

In order to look at not inflicting any more swirls, you need to first look at your wash technique.  Before touching the car a simple pre-wash routine will help shift a lot of the grime and dirt off the car, this will make your two bucket wash easier and safer.  So I would start by trying something like Demon Shine Rapid Dirt Shifter - available from a bunch of places Asda/Halfords included.  Spray liberally on the car, leave to dwell 5 minutes and then rinse off.

I think a good technique for the Clay mitt, is to use a bucket of soapy water, dunk the mitt to get it lubed up, work a small section and then dunk again to release the collected contamination.

After that working by hand, you would be surprised just what a good result you would get from Autoglym Super Resin polish, worked in small circular motions across the paint with an applicator, left to haze and then buffed off.

Over that you can apply a wax of your choosing

• Like 2

As above wash techniques is the first thing to get right as a lot of damage is actually inflicted at the wash stage. 

I'd suggest two buckets a wash mitt and a shampoo and microfibre towel to start working up to a wheel cleaner and a couple of brushes for the wheels, later adding a fallout remover (brake dust essentially from the car's body) and tar remover prior to using the clay as these will help get rid of as much of the contaminants before you start claying and also reducing any possible scratching or marring from the clay itself. Next is a good polish, pads and machine combo (no offence intended but that Argos polisher is really only good for buffing and applying wax, it doesn't have the torque or speed to do anything more). 

This is quite an abridged version with some other bits and bobs in between but start and work at your own pace, don't charge in like a bull in a China shop.

I've had a guy in the states asking about wheel sealants, he'd removed the wheel weights, applied the sealant and not removed the excess but had put them straight back on the car and spent the next six hours driving on them only to get home and touch one to find it was tacky and has now got a large finger smudge and will have to polish it all off, take the wheels to be rebalanced and start all over again. So ask questions, there are no stupid questions, every day is a learning day so ask and learn. 

• Like 1

A few simple suggestions:

In order to look at not inflicting any more swirls, you need to first look at your wash technique.  Before touching the car a simple pre-wash routine will help shift a lot of the grime and dirt off the car, this will make your two bucket wash easier and safer.  So I would start by trying something like Demon Shine Rapid Dirt Shifter - available from a bunch of places Asda/Halfords included.  Spray liberally on the car, leave to dwell 5 minutes and then rinse off.

I think a good technique for the Clay mitt, is to use a bucket of soapy water, dunk the mitt to get it lubed up, work a small section and then dunk again to release the collected contamination.

After that working by hand, you would be surprised just what a good result you would get from Autoglym Super Resin polish, worked in small circular motions across the paint with an applicator, left to haze and then buffed off.

Over that you can apply a wax of your choosing

Thanks for the advice, couple of things added to tomorrows shopping list there then, and as for waxes, is there any advantage of the liquid type over the solid type or vice versa? Or is this just one of those personal preference things?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_845947_langId_-1_categoryId_165527

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_539009_langId_-1_categoryId_165527

Also, a couple of questions about drying the car if you don't mind me asking: Do I need to dry the car after claying and before polishing (clay using soapy water, then wash off the residue...)? and are chamois better than microfibre cloths? I bought a couple of chamois from Tesco, put them on the car, they didn't work so gave up and then looked on line and saw that you don't use them dry, which at the time seamed counter intuitive. :wall:

I'd suggest two buckets a wash mitt and a shampoo and microfibre towel to start working up to a wheel cleaner and a couple of brushes for the wheels, 

Sorry for the double post but I already posted the first one then noticed yours.

Don't worry about the wheels as they are steel so I just take off the wheel covers and wash them in the sink with some traffic film remover and an old dish brush.  :giggle:

And the polisher thing was something that my dad bought a few years back at a car boot but has never been used so I just thought it might come in handy, but if not it doesn't matter.

Also, don't worry, you can't cause offence, I need to learn.

Almost forgot, another silly question but has to be dealt with, would you just use a microfibre cloth to apply the polish? Because I've just seen these and they don't seam like too much money if you thing they are worth getting I'll give them a shot. http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_155510_langId_-1_categoryId_165609 Edit, after reading the reviews, aybe not these ones, but something similar, if microfibre is not recommended.

Hi, sorry to bump the topic again, but here's the update, with obligatory pics, of course.

So I decided to ditch the 2 bucket approach and just use one bucket and buy a new hose pipe (our old one has been cut up to use for various things, so this will come in useful anyhow)

I bought everything on my list plus some microfibre drying cloths, a couple of polish applicators, a lambs-skin mitt and some other cloths just in case.

I started off by spraying the really dirty areas (half way up the doors, front bumper and all the boot lid) Then went inside, got the hose out of its packaging and put the ends on, rolled it out and by the time I'd done that, started to rinse it off. It got rid of the thick of it but in hindsight I probably should have left it even longer, when rinsing that off I also went behind the hose with a microfibre mitt and washed and rinsed at the same time until the heavily soiled areas were clean-ish. Then I broke out the G3 ad a bucket of warm water and used the lams-skin mitt and washed the whole car thoroughly before rinsing off with the hose, then I used the clay mitt and the G3 suds to clay the car  which was easier than even I had thought it was going to be, that mitt is an absolute godsend and for less than £15 I would recommend to anyone! So I clayed the car then rinsed thoroughly to ensure that all of the shampoo was removed, then I dried it with some microfibre drying cloths I bought today (I've given up on the chamois) then broke out the SRP and one of the Halfords applicator pads I got and polished the car, then remover it using another microfibre cloth then applied the wax with its own pad an buffed off with its microfibre cloth. then the wheel covers came off, went in the sink with some TFR and the microfibre mitt I started off with, then got rinsed with the hose and back on the car. Last step, dry the windows and headlights and apply some RainX.

Before:

Photo0122_zpsee5a576d.jpg

Photo0123_zpscaa4bdbb.jpg

Photo0124_zpsfca78de0.jpg

After:

Photo0131_zpsc87bff9c.jpg

Photo0132_zpsef021008.jpg

Photo0133_zps895eaded.jpg

Photo0134_zps7d5d4b23.jpg

I took this picture because I took the exact picture, from the same angle, the day after I bought the car back at the end of September, and the car looks a lot better now however the quality of the old photo is so poor it doesn't show well on here so I won't waste space with it.

Photo0136_zps7929861b.jpg

I don't know about any of you but I think the results are amazing, 4 and a half hours from rally car to something that looks at least respectable.

Thanks to everyone that commented on this topic for all your great advice and product recommendations

And a photo of the idiot himself:

Photo0135_zps1462cc2a.jpg

Thanks!

• Like 1

Foam applicator pads are the ones I'd go for. 

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_201965_langId_-1_categoryId_165609 

Microfibre drying towels are available from ASDA for £3. Microfibre cloths are really for buffing the polish off or waxes etc... 

I would stick with the two bucket method though to reduce the chance of dirt from the car being re-introduced to the car. 

Pics look good fella. 

Some cleaner and a stiff nylon brush for the tyre walls to scrub the dirt off and maybe dressing (personal choice). 

• Like 1

Foam applicator pads are the ones I'd go for. 

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_201965_langId_-1_categoryId_165609 

Microfibre drying towels are available from ASDA for £3. Microfibre cloths are really for buffing the polish off or waxes etc... 

I would stick with the two bucket method though to reduce the chance of dirt from the car being re-introduced to the car. 

Pics look good fella. 

Some cleaner and a stiff nylon brush for the tyre walls to scrub the dirt off and maybe dressing (personal choice). 

These are the pads I got when I was there, they don't seam that bad to be honest although maybe a bit hard to hold properly.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&productId=776811&catalogId=10151#tab1

A couple more questions for packing up, How do you get the old polish out of htose pads? Are you supposed to remove the wax from the HD applicators, if so, how? (at the minute I've put it back in the resealable bag thingie) And what's the best way to wash the lams-skin mitt?

As for tyres, they weren't ranked that high in the list of things to do to be fair, they are particularly bad when you look at them now up against the rest of the car but my main aim was to improve and protect the bodywork.

On another note, anyone wanting 3 or more car care products, get your self down to Halfords, I just saved £23.47 today.

Wash the applicator pads with neat Washing Up Liquid and then allow them to dry out naturally

Wash mitt...Wash in the sink with Liquid Washing Machine Detergent and allow to dry out naturally ( I spin mine dry first)

• Like 1

As above and to wash your microfibres just put them in the machine with a non-bio wash liquid on a 40degree wash. 

Microfibre wash mitts are okay in the machine but don't be tempted to put the wool one in as they malt rapidly as I found out by accident. 

• Like 1

Wash the applicator pads with neat Washing Up Liquid and then allow them to dry out naturally

Wash mitt...Wash in the sink with Liquid Washing Machine Detergent and allow to dry out naturally ( I spin mine dry first)

Thanks for the reply, I'll get them washed out and spin them in the mop spinner bucket. 

Svend, the microfibres are in the machine now, done and waiting to be hung up, but enough work for today and thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

Looks like you put some serious effort in to bring your car back to looking good. You might want to think about getting a jetwash and snowfoam lance next so you can get the majority of dirt off without touching your car in future to help maintain all the good work you've already done and reduce thechances of adding more swirl marks. You can get a decent nilfisk from places like asgos for under £100 and I think there's a group buy on detailing world for the lance.... Chis will know!

• Like 1

Looks like you put some serious effort in to bring your car back to looking good. You might want to think about getting a jetwash and snowfoam lance next so you can get the majority of dirt off without touching your car in future to help maintain all the good work you've already done and reduce thechances of adding more swirl marks. You can get a decent nilfisk from places like asgos for under £100 and I think there's a group buy on detailing world for the lance.... Chis will know!

I have a little Karcher and was thinking of snow foam but it was just getting it before today, it is definitely something I am going to look into and revise.

Are there any SF Lances that are recommended that fit Karcher?

(we also have a better Homelite wheeled type but it has an unusual fitting that nobody seams to make anything for)

Any of the decent lances will work mate, you just need to order one with the correct fitment for you karcher. I bought one off ebay but many get the autobright one

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=206996

I use valetpro snowfoam which is good value and works well which I get from cleanyourcar.co.uk. In all cases you put about an inch of snowfoam it the bottle then top un with warm water and turn the top knob to - as far as it will go to get a thick foam. If you get your karcher out and snowfoam it 1st while your in the house filling your 2 buckets up it does its stuff so when you come out its ready for jetwashing off before you shampoo her.

Be careful though as you'll quickly become like the rest of us......

• Like 1

I have a little Karcher and was thinking of snow foam but it was just getting it before today, it is definitely something I am going to look into and revise.

Are there any SF Lances that are recommended that fit Karcher?

(we also have a better Homelite wheeled type but it has an unusual fitting that nobody seams to make anything for)

Autobrite do one for £45 plus postage. 

http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/index.php/exterior-cleaning/autobrite-direct-snow-foam-lance/autobrite-heavy-duty-foam-lance-various-connectors.html 

Detailing world members can get the group buy of snow foam lance and 500ml Autobrite snow foam from choice of Magifoam or Superfoam for £40 inclusive of postage. 

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=183611&highlight=autobrite+group+buy 

But you can phone them up and mention the DW group buy and get the offer also. 

EDIT: littleade beat me to it with the offer. 

• Like 1

Be careful though as you'll quickly become like the rest of us......

Might be past the point of no return to be fair, I looked at the back of my laptop (dark red colour) and thought, that's a bit dull, oh wait, it's a laptop.

• Like 1