Optimal first oil change?

I would like to keep my new Octy 2.0 Tdi for a good few years, and I am anxious to do everything I can to look after the new engine, so the question arises; is 10,000 miles too long a time to run a new engine without an oil change?

An argument for an early oil change:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/saturday-mechanic-blog/how-to-break-in-a-new-car

It suggests as early as 20 miles.

An argument against:

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/3906/general/x/first-oil-change

This argues that the manufacturers know best, and that the metal content left in the oil of a new engine is actually beneficial to the bedding in process.

What do you think?

Oh god.  I got a flaming for this.  I'm with you, the first few tens of miles is when most of the bedding in happens. The early oil change is about removing the metal wear particles.  I've read about performance engine builders doing a 5 mile change, then a few hundred mile change, then going to normal ( several thousand mile ) changes.   However.... I won't bother with one they early..... Undecided about one at end of run in though (1500 miles)

Doesn't the service require every 20,000 or 2 years? I found that a bit crazy as with my petrol it is done every service.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I'm old school as well, but my last Octavia 1.9 did 190,000 miles in 10 years with variable servicing - 18k to 20k between oil changes from new. Its still going strong....

Will be doing same with new octy 3. Obviously extra oil changes can't do any harm but to me its a waste of money.

• Like 2

I've read about performance engine builders doing a 5 mile change, then a few hundred mile change, then going to normal ( several thousand mile ) changes. 

:D but we're talking about a skoda octavia!  Once my 3 free 10k services are out of the way mine will going straight on variable...

• Like 1

Mine was delivered using qi6 variable servicing and that means first service is either at 30.000km or 2 years which ever comes first. This was confirmed by the dealer workshop at deliver of the car. I have no intention of replacing anything before then only topping up as needed. Will be keeping the car for 5 years and the warranty is 5 years so if anything breaks they can have the pleasure of replacing it. However my old cars were also like this(Alfa 159, Fiat Bravo 2008) and no issues with those :-)

• Like 2

Mine was delivered using qi6 variable servicing and that means first service is either at 30.000km or 2 years which ever comes first. This was confirmed by the dealer workshop at deliver of the car. I have no intention of replacing anything before then only topping up as needed. Will be keeping the car for 5 years and the warranty is 5 years so if anything breaks they can have the pleasure of replacing it. However my old cars were also like this(Alfa 159, Fiat Bravo 2008) and no issues with those :-)

You get 5 year warranty in Denmark?

You get 5 year warranty in Denmark?

Standard is 2 years but with an option to get +3 years or 150.000km for a modest 850£. Cars are very expensive here so I jumped at the opportunity :-)

Standard is 2 years but with an option to get +3 years or 150.000km for a modest 850£. Cars are very expensive here so I jumped at the opportunity :-)

Ah right, we get 3 years here but we can also extend that.

Variable vs fixed is irrelevant.  This early change discussion is nothing to do with oil degrading!

What applies to an engine built by a performance builder applies to all engines, their words.

Variable vs fixed is irrelevant. This early change discussion is nothing to do with oil degrading!

What applies to an engine built by a performance builder applies to all engines, their words.

Your mass produced Octavia isn't running at the point of destruction like a performance engine will be. A performance engine also has to be able to run at max once handed over as ready by the builder.

Fixed, variable, 1st one at 1500 miles, or 5 miles it won't make any difference.

• Like 3

Your mass produced Octavia isn't running at the point of destruction like a performance engine will be. A performance engine also has to be able to run at max once handed over as ready by the builder.

Fixed, variable, 1st one at 1500 miles, or 5 miles it won't make any difference.

Exactly, these aren't performance engines, even the TSi is a low stressed fairly run of the mill engine, they don't need molly coddling.

• Like 1

And the early change has nothing to do with stress/load on the engine.  It is purely to remove the wear particles that a a result of bedding in any and every engine. Removing them to prevent risk of further, premature or possibly unusual wear on the engine.

And the early change has nothing to do with stress/load on the engine.  It is purely to remove the wear particles that a a result of bedding in any and every engine. Removing them to prevent risk of further, premature or possibly unusual wear on the engine.

To be fair isn't that what your oil filter is for?

• Like 2

Exactly, these aren't performance engines, even the TSi is a low stressed fairly run of the mill engine, they don't need molly coddling.

Ooh, you pair will upset a lot of people with these inflammatory comments.

The oil filter will trap particles measured in microns, I don't know the exact figures but it is something like 10 microns. There is a mesh/gauze on the oil pump pick up pipe in the sump for any large pieces, plus a magnet. Modern oil only needs changing due to contamination from the combustion process and for the periodic installation of a new filter. If you're worried to this extent about oil then what about gearbox oil changes (manual), its doing the same mileage as the engine, but never gets changed..

Edited by classic

Ive read Oil filters typically have 95%+ effectiveness at about 20 microns, 20% ish effectiveness at about 7 microns and the damaging range of particle size is 2 to 20 microns.