Mk1 Boot Wont Open

My Mk 1 Estate boot wont open.

It doesn't have the catch/release in the front.

Cant be clambering to the back to open boot each time.

Anyone have any ideas?

Ta

Pedro

Will try this.

i have sprayed WD40 on the lower locking mechanism.

Made sure that nothing is obstructing the catch.

I am not sure if the lock is popping when i arm or disarm.

I have been contemplating putting in the manual release lever and associated cables.

Any Ideas?

thanks

No noise when depressed.

i had tried pushing down when trying to open to no avail.

Where would i find the fuse? 

thanks

(am at work in London....car is in Hemel. SO cant try anything till later)

Silly question whilst we're on the subject of boots not opening....
My car doesn't have central locking, im assuming there is no way to open the boot from the outside?

This happened to me before. You can manually open the boot if you go in through back seats, there is a piece of small black plastic covering the lock mechanism you can lift off and flick the catch to open. Might be wrong but worked for me but it has only happened the once so might have been a different issue

Gaz

Silly question whilst we're on the subject of boots not opening....

My car doesn't have central locking, im assuming there is no way to open the boot from the outside?

No ,but if you can get bits, such as lock motor , length of cable and some form of remote control it's relatively easy. If you're into electronics and electrics, and looking for an idea, PM.I have circuits for remote hatch on my 1.4 ( and for a complete remote locking system).I did fit them and they worked, but I've removed them for other reasons. The remote is a security system sold by Maplin, capable of being a single remote for boot opening, or a three way system to open boot/hatch and lock/unlock doors. The maker says it's a remote security,  locking system. 

Thanks for setting me straight vwd, my parents passat has a Lil button above the number plate between the lights which releases the boot lock from outside, I've got the rubber bit there but obviously there is no switch in there!

I'm happy as it is, one less thing to go wrong!