Preferred VRS fuel

VRS Fuel  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which 98+ RON fuel does your VRS prefer?

V Power in mine. Always used it in all my performance cars to (high horse power Impreza's). Had my Fabia vRS since Friday and filled up with V Power although there was £15 worth of supermarket fuel in the tank to. Probs need a second tank full to flush the V Power right through. Had no issues yet and seems to drive and idle spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I gather that Tesco have seen a decline in profits for the 2nd year running (down 6%).

On the BBC Radio 4 Today program this morning I think that the CEO Philip Clarke said that they would consider lowering fuel costs (I was busy and not really listening).

Certainly as things stand, their initial price before any in-store purchases discounts is no better than anyone else's and I can't see that their fuel price would impact on the accelerating trend towards on-line sales.

Sorry do you mean there initial cost of fuel is no better than anyone elses.

(or are we on about the Cosat of your weekly household shop now?)

There 95 ron unlreaded is much the same as the others in price for 95 ron Unleaded.

The 'Tesco Momentum 99' is 5 pence a litre more expensive than 'Tesco 95'.

so a vRS tank costs £2.25 more to fill.

A 'Shell V-Power Nitro' 99 ron, Fill up in the vRS costs another £2.00 - £2.25 more to buy the same Quantity

about 45 litres.

Sainsbury Super Unleaded 97 Ron, or BP Ultimate 97 or other 97 Ron Fuels costs a little less, or the same or more than

the Tesco Momentum 99 to put in.

But they are 97 ron, not the 98 ron as recommended for a vRS.

So where are your comparisions coming from?

http://petrolprices.com

On the same day at the same station the 99 Ron is 5 pence more expensive than the Tesco 95 Ron. That is the point.

http://www.tescopfs.com/our-fuel/faqs

But I buy about 100 litres a week of it. So notice.

Today got 4 pence a litre off 3 points per 1 pound swiping my Tesco Club Card Plus.

And 3 pence back per 1 pound with 'Santander 1 2 3' all adds up. And saves when the mpg is good.

I only use Vpower Nitro+

Because it's better? No! I have three Shell garages closer to my house than the nearest Tesco. Probably the extra drive would come close to the cost difference. Big advantage of VPower for me is availability.

I doubt there is anything to choose between the fuels themselves.

• Like 1

Today's prices locally (for standard Unleaded):

• Sainsbury - £126.9
  • Morrisons - £126.9
  • Tesco Express (Esso) - £126.9
  • Tesco Superstore - £127.9

Why on earth would a Tesco Superstore selling Tesco's own fuel charge 1p more than a Tesco Express selling Esso ?

Go figure???

What is the answer, ?

are they maybe putting it down by 2 pence tomorrow?

Is that the prices local to you?

near me Asda does .7 of a pence instead of .9 when beating the others locally.

The Tesco selling Esso is a franchised filling station and Tesco shop is it not,?

near me it is.

I can not pay with Club Card Plus for my petrol.

PS,

i see locally Dundee, Perth, Aberdeen that most places are up 1 pence today from yesterday.

http://petrolprices.com

I use the standard fuel in mine 95 or what ever it is. Seems to run fine on the stuff.

Dealer said my Ex-Demo ran on 95ron when it was theirs when I took it back for its 1st service,

Decided to run for a year myself on 95ron, 39mpg average with no issues!

since the 2nd annual service I've used Tesco Momentum 99ron, 40.5 mpg average over 7000miles.

Any differences? Not really. Maybe a little nicer to drive when cold in the winter!

BP did do 102 ron at limited locations in the UK and stopped again quite a while ago.

You can buy 102 RON & 107 RON for Mototsports, 

but you need to count the cost as the same as getting half the MPG as when using the 99 RON Minimum Petrol.

http://vitalequipment.co.uk/Racing-Fuel/carless-hiperflo-racing-fuels

The Shell garage at Egham (jnc13 M25) does 102ron, but then it is across the road from the Main Ferrari & Maserati dealership  :rofl:

If you have a Tesco MasterCard ,only use that at their garages as you get 1 points/£1(58points/tankful), whereas the regular clubcard is only 1 point/£2 (29 points/tankful)

Edited by RazeVRS

I get my 25 points on my 'Club Card Plus', (thats money DD in every month, they stopped issuing them to new applications)

but seldom pay with that card now on fuel, do the shopping now for pence per litre off though,

& just swipe it for the points when paying with the Santander card, & then Triple the vouchers for stuff.

I never use the 'Tesco Master Card' anymore for Fuel.

The Santander 123 gives back 3 pence in the £1. so £1.50 back on the 50 litres bought. It adds up nicely.

More on this topic. Ive done 4 tank fulls on the tesco momentum and now switched back to shell v power nitro. The cars seems to prefer the shell to be honest though the tesco stuff still works fine.

More on this topic. Ive done 4 tank fulls on the tesco momentum and now switched back to shell v power nitro. The cars seems to prefer the shell to be honest though the tesco stuff still works fine.

I felt the same and switched back to Shell - as you say, nothing wrong with Tesco but I feel it runs slightly better on Shell (though that might all be in my head...).

Why on earth would you use a higher RON than what the car can run on?

The fuel contains the same amouth of kcal's per unit. So just as many MPG from both.

http://www.vintagebonanza.com/octane.htm

Also higher RON in the same fuel means that i can take more time for the flame front to develop. So potentialy the combustion proses wil be slower and thus not develop best volume before the piston has moved further down in the cylinder. So if any the MPG should be lower on 97RON than 95RON. And if you like high RON numbers for a weird reason, squirt some acetone in the mix, aceton is 150RON.

Tesco momentum and v power nitro are both 99 ron its not a question of mpg but general feel of how the car runs. I wouldnt put 95 or 97 in unless i really had to as skoda recommend 98 ron min on a vrs. So i dont really understand your reply. Thanks anyway.

Tesco momentum and v power nitro are both 99 ron its not a question of mpg but general feel of how the car runs. I wouldnt put 95 or 97 in unless i really had to as skoda recommend 98 ron min on a vrs. So i dont really understand your reply. Thanks anyway.

I'm glad it's not just me! As the poster is Norwegian it may be a case of 'lost in translation'!

Nothing lost in it at all. You would want to run a higher RON number if you plan on driving hard in warm climate or you have som hot plugs. This to prevent preignition. So if you have a car that they say should run on 97 then you should not run anything less. Preignition happends easier in higher rew's and on higher loads. But a low RON fuel can work to run a higher RON "recomended" engine on idle/low load.

Edited by Truls84
  • Like 1

There is 2 thing that keeps recurring about the Minimum 99 Ron Shell V-Power Nitro 99 ron

& the Tesco Momentum 99

People say after going over to try the Tesco Momentum 99,

'I have gone back to Shell it feels like it runs better',

Well if it runs better, then that makes sense to pay £2.25 a tank more.

You buy less fuel for the same money, and maybe do less miles per £, but it feels better.

If you look on this Forum now for over 3 years and were people post about Misfires & some with Engines replaced,

*if the Question is asked.*

"Do you run 98 or 99 ron fuel?"

The answer nearly always is,  

"I have always used Shell V-Power!"

Never yet heard from anyone or read it here,

"I have always used Tesco Momentum!",    Odd that,

Same Minimum Octane, unless some is sometimes over the Octane which it sometimes is in Winter Spec,

but who knows what the Additives and Detergents are.

Royal Dutch Shell are not telling us,

but neither are Greenergy that produces Tesco Momentum.

so, 'Bore Wash',

& Additives, Detergents/Cleaners like Sodium.  Any connection?

But then you pay to stop and start the engine more frequently filling up with fuel. Plus time spent and possibly extra distance and waiting for a pump.

there is an garage (esso) exactly 1 mile from my house on the way to work so I full up there for the convenience and not drive an extra 3 miles or so the a petrol station that sells 97/98 now that would cost more money for me. Driving the opposite way then longer to work.

It also depends on the drainingsystem/airation(this is a lost in translation moment) on the gas-stations tanks. When the tanks are refilled they are often drained if its alot of condense in them.

My old 73 Pontiac wouldn start on the local Esso 98RON but started happily on the local Statoil 98RON. But if you should end up in a remote location where they dont have the RON number you would like on your tank then have a spare bottle of Aacetone with you.

Funny thing is I've always used v power nitro but looking on here someone put how good momentum99 was ive tried momentum 99 and found it so much better and better to the gallon as well looks like swings and roundabouts.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk