What made you buy a Fabia?

Just a general thought really,

What made you buy a Mk1 Fabia? 

I've owned a range of VW's from Mk1 Golf GTI to a Lupo Sport. I've always been a fan of the Fabia. For me in all honestly it was between a a Fabia vrs or a 9n3 GTI. I think i made the right decision, running costs, insurance, i thought of it in a logical way. I've never looked back. It's nice to see some Fabia's out there pushing the power limits and still getting decent mpg in return. 

Mpg, insurance, looks and price! 1/2 the price of same year / engine vw! And living in the arse end of the world - it was local! Would have loved a 2 door version...

• Like 1

I worked for Skoda when the Fabia and subsequent Fabia vRS was launched. Had numerous 1.9 tdi comfort and elegance hatch's and the odd Octavia before the Fabia vRS was launched. Had about 4 x vRS over a 18m period and vowed to have another one day.

Even now after all these years I find something captivating about the relative simplicity of a largely understressed big capacity turbo diesel engine in a small car. Even though I now smoke round in either a New Lexus or Toyota everyday the little diesel Skoda's special to me.

Needless to say I get a new one ripped daily at work by my fellow managers but that's half the fun!!

Lots of reasons

• I like the idea that people turn their nose up at it because it's a Skoda.
  • I think they look really nice with a few subtle mods. 
  • I like the mpg.
  • I like the insurance price.
  • I like the idea that I could have it be pretty quick if I wanted to go that route. 
  • I like it.
  • Like 1

Never thought about buying one until I saw it at a dealership, always thought it would be a lot to insure at 21 so never considered it, I was looking at a Astra 1.7 CDTI at the time.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I actually decided on what engine I wanted first, then found the body to match it!

Was looking for excellent economy with a balance of power and torque for motorways. Bullet proof reliability (haha within reason of course). The fabia is the smallest car I've had after owning big volvos and mondeos etc before but I love it's practicality, can be parked anywhere. Big diesel in small car and with character, they don't produce anything similar nowadays, just highly stressed petrol turbos that are fun but I think are vulnerable over the long term.

Never thought about buying one until I saw it at a dealership, always thought it would be a lot to insure at 21 so never considered it, I was looking at a Astra 1.7 CDTI at the time.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

So was I when I then saw a Fabia vRS and went for this instead!

Wanted a cheap but decent little run-around and I'd owned rear-engined Skodas before and liked them. I'd heard good reports about the Fabia so decided I'd look for one. Eventually found mine on Gumtree.

I bought mine as I was 22 and had 11 cars before it and modded them all one way or another spending money and getting no return so I thought I would grow up abit and spend abit more than normal on a car I could just buy and drive with out wanting to mod it.

2 years ago I picked this up.

media.jpg

It didn't go to plan....

20140401_165334_zpslyemst6u.jpg

• Like 4

Already owned an Octavia, loved it and wanted a smaller car for commuting that was cheap to run, but big enough to stand in for the Octavia if required.

I got an 1.9 TDI elegance estate and it has lived up to the above requirement. Long term average economy is 62.5 mpg (calculated) and I have not had to do any work on it at all in 20,000 miles (apart from servicing), the insurance is very cheap and road tax is not too bad. It even has the rarer 14" alloy wheels which pleased me as the tyres are cheap!

It's not as refined or nice to drive as the Octavia but you can't have it all.  

Some drunk uninsured Polish idiot wrote off the Octavia 2 (PD105 DSG) so I replaced it with a Leon DSG (wife needs an auto), within a week some scroat stole the roof off my roadster and within a month of getting it back from the insurer the engine blew weeks before the wedding.

I almost got a wreck of a Polo just because it had tax/mot but then my wife found a 12 year old mpi with 1 elderly owner and 24k on the clock and FSH. After she explained the sob story to the dealer who had taken it as a p/x (local Skoda dealer who we had used for service work during warranty on the Octavia) I ended up with the most basic and mechanically simple car i've ever owned. It's not quite into diesel mpg figures (42mpg on petrol average over 30k) but it's cheap to run and easy to work on, eg tyres last 4-5x as long as the Leon I also run and cost half as much, brakes etc are a similar story and a full service (plugs, filters, oil) costs me less in parts than the oil for the Leon. I genuinely expected to keep it 6 months then get rid and be into something with more toys and creature comforts but it's still here almost 2 years later and I can't see me changing unless a decent 1.9 PD/SDI came up in either Octavia or Fabia guise and that's despite her now having a Kia Soul and me getting to play with the Leon which will be going soon. Yes that right, i'm getting rid of a 2.0 PD140 DSG Sport Leon to keep a 2001 1.4 mpi Classic. Now If I could just get back to sub £200 insurance (remapped/tricked out 05 roadster with all mods declared sub £200, 01 pov spec fabia over £400?!) i'd be happy.

Oh and the kids love it as we always take it to the beach and anywhere else fun/mucky :D

I bought my vrs as i was buying a house and the bank wanted a huge deposit so the golf tsi had to go to fund it along with all my other toys

i only use my vrs once a week as im always in the works van but i keep it as its cheap to run and maintain and ive not had a single issue with it in the 18months ive owned it...

ive had a 115pd 130pd & 150pd golfs over the years and knew the asz was reliable so thats another reason i went for a vrs

The Fabia is my first car so one of the main drivers for me was the low insurance, however I have always liked the looks of it and the simple interior, also I do over 18k miles a year so economy is important. I haven't had my 1.4TDI long but I'm loving it, copes perfectly fine on the motorway and on twisty A-road, goes well and I've been getting over 58mpg. Oh and someone said that if you closed your eyes in my car, the sound could convince you that you're in a V6, though I'm not sure how true that is :rofl:  The 3 cylinder lump does have quite a different sound I find

Edited by Midlands95

Guest BigJase88

I bought my first one at 18 as i had a go in my mates one and i thought it was an affordable ferrari

I bought my 2nd one at 22 from my mate as it had a whole lot of goodies on it, hybrid blower / brembo's / kw coilovers etc etc and i thought it was an affordable ferrari again

:)

Wanted a 1.9tdi. Fancied an estate. Passat/Golf pricey. Had numerous Skodas previously. Decided to find a decent Fabia or Octavia estate. Fabia came up first! Brother and a friend had both had 1.9tdi Mk1s and loved them. Decision made.

Edited by joncc

I can tell you what made me didn't buy a fabia vrs... The bloody price! Haha

Knew I wanted a car with the pd130 so got a seat ibiza sport instead. Heated mirrors, climate control, loads of other gadgets along with dark seats to hide the problems caused when my bowels give way and all for £1200!

along with dark seats to hide the problems caused when my bowels give way

I think you need a doctor rather than dark seats :giggle: