why there is no indication on dashboard about regeneration?

skodnik

Watch the tickover. It goes up from 800 to 1000 rpm.

ok, but if that happens and I am about to stop and park is it OK to leave the engine on for few minutes or it's better to drive few miles more to get regen finished?

You don't need to do anything that's why there's no light. The car is capable of taking care of regens by itself, it doesn't matter if you switch it off during one.

• Like 2

I was worried when this first happened but its the car doing its own thing as the engine fans run on after engine switch off also get the lovely smell of burning from the exhaust to its just the normal thing now so I dont worry anymore

You don't need to do anything that's why there's no light. The car is capable of taking care of regens by itself, it doesn't matter if you switch it off during one.

This.  There's no light because there's nothing you need to do.  When you do need to do something, there is a light to tell you.

Owners are really bad with warning lights.

Even when you get red flashing warning lights, half the owners ignore them. How many threads have we seen saying 'I have a flashing red oil can - what does it mean?'

Research has shown that it is best not to have lights for normal operation or you will get the other half of owners ringing the dealership. This is why the temperature gauge lies to you :) see http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/246750-the-coolant-temp-gauge-a-question-by-sheer-curiosity/

Noticed my CR170 doing a regen yesterday, I parked up and noticed engine fan at full pelt.

Only had it a week (it's on 29k miles though) so will see how often it happens. 

I thought you were planning to remove it?

Temperature gauges have been lying for decades. My mk 2 Honda CRX had a gauge that shows a constant deflection for a range of 'normal' temperatures, and that design was from the mid-80s.

However, my previous BMW 130i had no temperature gauge at all, and you should above seen the fuss the forum kicked up over it. They would rather be lied to by a "there, there dear, everything is OK" gauge than not have one.

you're wrong - if you want your car to last long you better know what it's doing and when.

Here I found nice video explaining dash icons related to DPG cleaning in big truck, wish I had something in my car as well.

Start to look at 1:48:

you're wrong - if you want your car to last long you better know what it's doing and when.

Here I found nice video explaining dash icons related to DPG cleaning in big truck, wish I had something in my car as well.

Sorry, but that is rubbish.

My car is 4 years old, has done 80k miles and has the DPF regeneration numerous times without any problems, and I quite expect it to last another 80k again with no DPF problems. If there is a problem then the DPF light on the dash will come on, before that time nothing is needed as the whole system is automatic.

And the video...........................................??!! Not relevant to a Yeti.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

When I first bought my Yeti on the 01/01/2012, it used to regen every week. So as I was only doing six miles a day, Then I thought I would drive only drive up to 4th gear, if I am only driving a short journey, so this warms the DPF up quicker. 

And it works, I might get a regen every 3 months if that. My MPG is a lot better 37 mpg was 35 mpg short jouneys,  48 mpg long journeys.  as the engine is run in now and I am  getting 36.50 to 37 mpg for short journeys.

I only get up to 6th gear on long roads greater than 3 miles, or should I say out of town driving, I have records of all the fill ups since new. I think you never want to use the 6th gear untill the engine is running at the correct tempreture, which is about about 3 miles to working tempreture. Infact  I can't remember the last regen. mind you the car has only done 7800 miles. so the 4th gear bit does help the DPF.

Edited by CHILLEY

Erm, this lorry performs exactly the same as a DPF equipped car.

During normal operation, no lights, the DPF sorts itself. Same as in the Yeti.

If you spend too long doing short journey's preventing the DPF from regenerating then you get a light, same as in the Yeti.

The primary recommendation is to take a drive down the motorway to clear the DPF / light. Yep, you guessed it, same as the Yeti.

Ignore the light and the truck limits power, the Yeti does the same - it is called limp-home mode.

The only advantage with the truck is that you can pull off the road and hit a button that increases the revs and automatically performs a regen. The Yeti can do this too but it needs initiating using dealer software in a controlled environment.

So assuming you have a Yeti or any other mainstream modern diesel engined car then your wish to have this in your car has just come true!