If you're thinking of NOT ordering a spare wheel, think again.....

Coops

Latched onto a really nice little earner these manufacturers/dealers now ey.... greedy BAST****! :@

How long before a windscreen becomes optional?

All new cars now supplied with 2 pairs of goggles and woolly hats for the driver and passenger. Extra hats and goggles for additional passengers now  available at extra cost. :think:

Edited by Mr Ree
  • Like 2

We've got a Focus convertible, SWMBO drove for half a mile and wrecked a tyre at 5.30 one day. Luckily the wheel survived and the RAC guy got her a (costly) replacement.

I bought a wheel etc from a salvage place, the car has the well, the threaded point to hold the wheel - it's all there. Ford are just penny pinching/keeping weight down.

The upside - the Continental compressor originally provided is the best 12v compressor I've owned :-) .

Pardon the obvious pun but a spare wheel doesn't weigh that much, does it? trimming the spare tyre on the driver would make a massive difference to many people's fuel economy if that were the case.

I would not be comfortable without a spare wheel in my own car.

Quite agree, but I guess the maths used to calculate the figure has a fixed mass driver, so car mass counts.

I'm surprised manufacturers have got away with this, I'm dubious about it being enough to get it down Co2 bands and even if it was surely the dealer could offer it as an after market extra at a reasonable cost?  I don't think many people even realise their car doesn't have a spare wheel, I certainly wouldn't have on my Octavia if it wasn't for this forum and I was amused when I saw the security team at work dismantling the back of the company Galaxy trying to find where the spare wheel was only to find there wasn't one.  I can understand on small cars like an MX-5 where space is at a premium but on larger cars I think there's much less of an excuse.

I was pleased to find my Octavia did have a full size spare which the previous owner must have fitted, last year I was driving down a back road to get to an MTB course for some practice for an upcoming race and managed to get a small rip in the tyre.  As it was on a small back road and I didn't trust myself I called the RAC who came out and fitted the wheel then was on my way, I was a bit delayed but still managed to get some time in and get home fine.  The RAC guy commented that he was relieved to see I had a spare so I asked what would have happened if I didn't, it would have been a tow back home which would have meant a completely wasted trip.

I was irritated to find the Mazda6 has no spare tyre at all so I'm trying to find out what will fit in there as I think it will take a full size spare but needs some bodging or optional fitted parts (It's a lot harder to find Mazda info than Skoda info), I really need to get around to it as it will be well worth the effort if I ever need it.

John

It doesn't make any sense carrying the weight of a spare wheel around all the time for the rare occasion on which a total blowout occurs. That is what recovery / breakdown cover is for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It doesn't make any sense carrying the weight of a spare wheel around all the time for the rare occasion on which a total blowout occurs. That is what recovery / breakdown cover is for.

Each to their own I suppose. As soon as I realised I didn't have a spare in the footwell I got on the NET and bought a full sized spare. Might never need it and hopefully wont,if I ever do though at least I can get myself going again in 5 minutes rather than having to wait possibly hours before recovery turns up for just a flat tyre.

Each to their own I suppose. As soon as I realised I didn't have a spare in the footwell I got on the NET and bought a full sized spare. Might never need it and hopefully wont,if I ever do though at least I can get myself going again in 5 minutes rather than having to wait possibly hours before recovery turns up for just a flat tyre.

I very much agree, I can't see that the spare wheel makes that much of an impact to the car anyway but even though I've only had a single in the last ten years I'd still much prefer having the spare wheel as I never know when I might need it.  Furthermore, recovery/breakdown isn't really a solution for not having a spare wheel as it's likely to really screw up any journey you're on rather than being able to carry on.

John

The weight of a spare wheel (full size or space saver) in a any car is going to make a negligible difference to the overall weight. Certainly in my case in the Superb, you wouldn't even notice. In 20 odd years of driving, I've never had a puncture/blowout whilst driving - this was the first time so very rare occasion.  

Recovery / breakdown is there for that purpose but again in my case it totally ruined the journey home - I was only recovered 3 miles home. Luckily I had the appropriate resources available to me through my lease company. What if it was a private car, no spare and you had no recovery deal?

Each to their own, though.

I very much agree, I can't see that the spare wheel makes that much of an impact to the car anyway but even though I've only had a single in the last ten years I'd still much prefer having the spare wheel as I never know when I might need it.  Furthermore, recovery/breakdown isn't really a solution for not having a spare wheel as it's likely to really screw up any journey you're on rather than being able to carry on.

John

Totally agree John, well made point.

How long before a windscreen becomes optional?

All new cars now supplied with 2 pairs of goggles and woolly hats for the driver and passenger. Extra hats and goggles for additional passengers now  available at extra cost. :think:

I'm sure on some Caterham or Westfield models, an aero-screen is fitted standard and a glass windscreen is optional. :yes:

• Like 1

I'm sure I've read in the small print of a recovery service that they can't help if the car has no spare wheel.

As you found out Tyre goo only fixes certain small punctures.  It does not cure rim/wheel leaks or damage, large or sidewall holes,etc. Not having a spare wheel was one of the reasons why I didn't buy a Bini Cooper when looking for cars.

You wouldn't be saying that if you got a puncture at 2 in the morning in the middle of nowhere,

Audi A3 is a good example of a VAG group car, which comes with a full size spare is standard and emissions are  99g for a 1.6TDI.  106 for the 2.0TDI 150 and 108 for the 2.0 TDI 184.

I think the weight of the spare has got nothing to do with it and cost probably has more.

Lets face it it's a sprung mass in the boot, so they'd be better off saving weight with lighter alloys or narrower tyres to reduce rolling resistance.

Sorry but the A3 is hardly a good example as it is running newer lower emission engines and is a smaller car than either the Octavia or Superb.

The spare wheel weighs a fair bit with a tyre maybe 15-20kgs which is enough on the MK2 Greenline superb to take it into the next tax band.

This was the reason that a spare wheel could not be ordered as an option.

Now most people would not be worried by the tax band being a little higher but it makes a big difference to company car owners.

• Like 1

I'm surprised manufacturers have got away with this, I'm dubious about it being enough to get it down Co2 bands and even if it was surely the dealer could offer it as an after market extra at a reasonable cost?  I don't think many people even realise their car doesn't have a spare wheel, I certainly wouldn't have on my Octavia if it wasn't for this forum and I was amused when I saw the security team at work dismantling the back of the company Galaxy trying to find where the spare wheel was only to find there wasn't one.  I can understand on small cars like an MX-5 where space is at a premium but on larger cars I think there's much less of an excuse.

John

Most models list the spare wheel as an option at a very good price,

Even though my Greenline did not list it as an option it was still a very good price through the parts dept,

I think it was around £150 inc vat and this was for a steel wheel with a premium brand 205/55 16 tyre and a wheelbrace and jack kit.

I'm sure I've read in the small print of a recovery service that they can't help if the car has no spare wheel.

As you found out Tyre goo only fixes certain small punctures.  It does not cure rim/wheel leaks or damage, large or sidewall holes,etc. Not having a spare wheel was one of the reasons why I didn't buy a Bini Cooper when looking for cars.

our t&c state we give service to vehicles that don't have a spare as standard and if needs be we will pay the call out for a mobile fitter, but if a tyre or temp repair is refused

you only get a local tow to safety, tyre shop or home, but if your car should have a spare but its unserviceable we may charge for call out,

as a SEAT tech we all carry a 5 stud space saver so we can get you mobile quickly

• Like 1

Sorry but the A3 is hardly a good example as it is running newer lower emission engines and is a smaller car than either the Octavia or Superb.

The spare wheel weighs a fair bit with a tyre maybe 15-20kgs which is enough on the MK2 Greenline superb to take it into the next tax band.

This was the reason that a spare wheel could not be ordered as an option.

Now most people would not be worried by the tax band being a little higher but it makes a big difference to company car owners.

Same engine as the mk 3 octy hatch and mine is a saloon and of a similar size. Use the rapid if you like but the same applies.

My major fear have an MPV for work, and now one at home too. No room for a spare at all

No fear - have an MPV with dedicated space for spare  :giggle:

To be serious, this was my main reason for choosing Roomster over Yeti.

Audi A3 is a good example of a VAG group car, which comes with a full size spare is standard and emissions are 99g for a 1.6TDI. 106 for the 2.0TDI 150 and 108 for the 2.0 TDI 184..

My brothers a3 came with one of those silly space saver things (n)

Better than a can of tyre weld though i suppose haha.

• Like 1

Same engine as the mk 3 octy hatch and mine is a saloon and of a similar size. Use the rapid if you like but the same applies.

But the Octavia which is slightly wide and is slightly longer than the A3 saloon.

And the A3 has lots of lightweight Alloy panels to make it lighter.

So the extra weight of a spare in the A3 wont make much difference to the final weight and will keep it in a lower band.

My brothers a3 came with one of those silly space saver things (n)

Better than a can of tyre weld though i suppose haha.

Given the choice between that and a can of gunk - I'd know what I'd pick.

Rather be limited to driving at 50mph until my destination rather than sat at the roadside.

• Like 3

Totally agree. I've just ordered a Skoda Superb Estate L&K as a company car and on the advice of my local dealer i have ordered the spare wheel. Having read this i'm very glad i took his advice.

Yup. Agreed

Had to pay extra for the full size spare in the fabia. Well worth it though IMO.

Especially after reading this. No body got time for that ;)

Yes...well NO actually.

The fact of the matter is that none of us should be being put in this position to virtually 'force purchase' in the first place, and don't give me all this guff about emissions nonsense too, or you'll be telling me that you can't carry passengers next, or a family sized share pack of giant chocolate buttons.  :wall:

Edited by Mr Ree

Totally agree. I've just ordered a Skoda Superb Estate L&K as a company car and on the advice of my local dealer i have ordered the spare wheel. Having read this i'm very glad i took his advice.

Diddly squat mentioned to me by the sales dept, just flamin' GAP insurance, sell sell sell, no thanks, get stuffed.

Only this thread spurred me into action after seeing that picture and subsequent hassle, and I bet when I go and collect tomorrow they'll have forgotten. :wall:

Does all that  ^^^ qualify me as being a very cynical old goat?  :think:

Edited by Mr Ree
  • Like 1

I was just re-reading through this post and I see one comment that you don't need a spare that's what recovery is for, my punctures always seem to be late at night, in the rain or somewhere remote. It also brought to mind a problem with a space saver and fully loaded car.

About eight years ago we took a Volvo C70 coupe over to Spain with a view to having a holiday and saving a load of dish by buying the wine for our forthcoming wedding. On the return journey, with the. Car fully loaded ( boot and back seat) including about 80 bottles of wine, I heard a clicking noise from the right hand rear. We were on a very rural French Road. I found a spike, about 5mm thick through the sidewall of the right hand rear tyre which was touching the wheel arch as we took left hand corners. The tyre hadn't deflated so I decided to get to the nearest town carefully.

I realised that the spare was under a whole boot full of luggage and it was a space saver. If I had changed the wheel it would have meant trying to manoeuvre an 18 inch wide alloy wheel on to the top of the luggage in the rear ( avoiding the up market upholstery) or SWMBO having the wheel on her lap as a full size wheel wouldn't fit into the well.

I now have even more of an aversion to space savers :-(