Fabia VRS MK3 - if it were made, would you consider buying?

Fabia VRS MK3 poll.  

211 members have voted

1. 1. If a MK3 Fabia VRS were made, would you buy it? If so, which model?

Some very thoughtful comments being raised here .Only hope that Skoda UK executives are browsing, then perhaps they will realise from this ,that there is a desire

AND PENT UP enthusiasm  to see some action towards a  Fabia mk3 vRS.

They have the parts in the boxes, just need to put them all together to satisfy the positive points and suggested improvement over the MK2 and remembering the base MK1, in which the concept took off originally.

• Like 1

In keeping with the Skoda recent history, I'm surprised that we haven't seen the idea of a MK2 SE just to round it off!

Come on Skoda, turn the new page and give us the  FABIA vRS mk3 :rock: 

For me it would have to be a petrol DSG estate however to sell it does need the multitude of permutations of Trim Level/Fuel Type/Gearbox/Boot Style.   Which should be something like 3 * 2 * 2 * 2 = 24 starting points before adding relatively minor options.  

I would expect the highest trim level to have dual zone climate, heated seats, sat-nav, full telephone prep including wireless charging, rear parking sensors (with optional front sensors and auto-park or whatever its called), adaptive cruise control, lane control and driver fatigue detection. Other options should include a front heated screen, tow bar and pedestrian auto-braking if they step out in front of you.

Just because its a small car shouldn't mean it can't be high spec.

I loved my mk2 (didn't have any of these oil / engine issues though - maybe didn't keep it long enough). Loved my brothers mk1. But a completely different feel. I'd be happy with a updated mk2 without the oil issues and ideally with the choice of petrol or diesel. I love that dsg box so I too would love that as an option. If I had to have one engine and one box think it would be diesel dsg.

TSI DSG is a brilliant combo for the UK.

With petrol, even 98 Octane (Momentum) same or less than diesel prices, and with Fabia 2 VRS above 40 mpg without too much difficulty on all but the shortest journeys I would would want to see more of the same.

Car needs to be lower with better suspension which is the achilles heel of the Mark 2.

Had a Mark 1 but it was not trully quick as standard ie slower acceleration than the average car (as a world wide average rather than UK),

Needs to be good value which the technical advanced Mark 3 Octy is not (if you buy rather than lease).

The Fabia 2 special deals ie the £9k HPI or better £10K Fabia estate TSI are the only deals that float my boat and the £10K Roomster is probaly a better deal anyways so would we see naff deals on the Fabia 3 until 1 or 2 years in to production as with the Octy 3? 

• Like 1

A surprise from the current stats, is that perhaps Skoda got it right with the MK2 concept .In that a high performing small petrol with a DSG is what the punters are now looking too.

Having said that the purist too get there shout with a slick manual  box.

So it's, sort the engine issues and make it a flexible spec purchase,(greater options) with a much improved suspension set up!( OFF COURSE 5 DR)

BINGO!

PS.

Might be an argument for a Diesel (150bhp) manual -  note comments from Octavia mk3 owners are that the DSG is better mated to the petrol 

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses and votes so far everyone.  All very good stuff and interesting valid points of view.

I propose to gather it all together at some point and email it into Skoda for what its worth.

As mentioned in the press it said the VRS has always sold well in the UK, but do we have any international members wishing to provide any input?

• Like 1

you could probably get a new or nearly demo octavia vrs for not much more

Not everyone wants that size of motor but like the power linked to useable size and FUN FACTOR!!

Hence are prepared to pay for it! 

1.6T 200bhp Petrol with choice of manual or auto.

Supple chassis with taught handling and plenty of steering feel.

More adjustability on the front seats would be nice.

Then put me down for a Mk3

Lee

• Like 2

1.6T manual 180 ish

Or

2.0tdi 160 ish

Decent chassis/brakes

I'd buy the diesel vRS estate version if it had any of the character of the mk1 vRS inside.

And having owned and driven both back to back there is no way a mk2 vrs is going to make sense at the pumps lol

26mpg commutes hurt when you were used to getting 45-50. We mk1 owners expected too much.

• Like 3

It does seem bizarre that you can buy any trim/spec level in any engine/gearbox/body combo, until you get to the VRs.  Then it's Petrol+DSG or nothing.

Why can't they have a petrol and diesel "Halo" model?  Gearbox should always be an option IMHO, but Renault (and others) have shown that flappy paddle is the way forward, so by only offering it, you may cut your customer base.

For me the deciding factor would be how I planned to use it - current driving means a TSI can get close to TDI for economy, costs less to buy in the first place, less to fuel at the pumps and is probably a bit lighter to boot...however, if I was doing longer journeys again, the promise of 50+mpg in a TDI could be tempting, especially a small one with power not usually seen until the class above.

As for kit, the bits mentioned above (fatigue monitoring, lane changing etc) are they not just expensive gimicks? Are they available on cars of a similar class (Polo, A1, i30, 208, etc)?  There would be little point in adding things ONLY to the VRS (less engine options) - it would become too niche and cost too much to produce.

• Like 1

The 1.4 ACT 150ps unit from the BlueGT Polo would be a good candidate. Maybe thr 2.0 TDi 150 for a move back to diesel power.

If the car was usefully lighter than the current Fabia (should really be if the Octavia is anything to go by) then should be a reasonably healthy power to weight.

Id rather have reasonable power in a sorted chassis than too much power in something not particularly well resolved; the current vRS has lots of power but an underwhelming chassis IMO.

• Like 3

Yep the icons have always had great handling and feel.

No one remembers the powerful cars with poor chassis.

Edited by logiclee
  • Like 1

Lets hope Skoda totally surprise us,

a nice "Emotional, Connective & Squat vehicle that will appeal to the Young."

Engines as are now going into the A1 & A3's & Polos would be good as a start in the early models.

There might be the problem, as Skoda gets into the top 3's in Car Surveys,

they will not want to take sales from VW & Audi.

Not long to wait to see what they do reveal.

'New Type Approved, cars must now have as Standard, DRL's. TPMS & ESP

so lets hope the starting prices are not too high.

A new design should get nice new improved parts but with reliability you would hope.

I  don't entirely understand the worry about Skoda pinching VW and Audi sales. Is the money not all ending up in the same place? I can imagine some people cross-shopping a Skoda and VW, or a VW and an Audi, but a Skoda and an Audi?

It's the same mentality affecting Skoda Australia, which is especially handicapped as VW Australia calls the shots. Skoda needs to concentrate on its niche, and pinching customers from other marques' comparable models/price ranges.

Back on topic, talk of AWD etc is just being silly. For me, turbo 1.6 would seem to be the way to go, with a choice of manual and DSG transmissions. Diesel as well, if enough people pine for it, though I'd imagine the newer perol engines would have improved efficiency (at what cost of reliability??)

Edited by OzFabia
  • Like 1

The AWD are being intoduced now in various small vehicle, its a small petrol engine and electric motors,

they are going in Audi A3's.

Suzuki do a Part time AWD Suzuki Swift 1.2 litre and when it was launched the offer had it undercutting a Fabia Monte Carlo 1.2 litre. (Sadly neither offer an Automatic version in the UK)

There are people that benefit from AWD in small hatches, not requiring a mini 4x4  offroader type one,

just for graded road conditions..

http://topgear.com/suzuki/swift/road-test/4x4-driven

I adored the Subaru Justy when it was available AWD and Automatic Gearbox,

but could not afford one when they were newish, and had to buy when old,

It was good as a Small car for all season, conditions and uses.

george

Back on topic, talk of AWD etc is just being silly.

The Fabias upmarket sister car the A1 has just had a 4WD variant launched (the S1) so I wouldn't say it's silly to discuss the possibility of tech like this filtering down from higher up the tree into future Skoda models. I don't think any of us are naive enough to think Skoda will actually go for 4wd on the mk3 tho. It's just a lighthearted "what if" type of thread. Ideally I'd like to see a 5.0 V8 in the next Fabia but that really would be silly.....

• Like 4