citigo pid not charging (garmin)

squealey71

Hi everyone,

Recently my pid from my 14 plate 3dr elegance has starting showing a battery icon that according to the manual means

"unit is too hot or cold to charge"

everything else works ok, I have tried a factory reset on the unit but it is still showing the same icon, any ideas? :sweat:

Try charging it at home and see if you get the same result. What temp is the display saying when it gives the warning?

• Like 1

Try charging it at home and see if you get the same result. What temp is the display saying when it gives the warning?

Thanks for your suggestion  Owens, sorry for delayed reply, popped in to the dealer that sold me the car, tried various different permutations of brackets and pids  and came to the conclusion that the unit was faulty!

They had a new one in stock and swapped it there and then under warranty, so came away very happy! :happy:

• 4 weeks later...

I went to my local dealership today because I was having the same problem with the battery not charging / displaying the battery temperature error symbol.

They were very helpful and simply swapped the unit for a new replacement, I was probably at the dealer for only 5 minutes in total.

For others who have the same problem, I took a backup of the faulty PID using Garmin Fresh just before I took it to the dealer.

I have just got home and updated the software using fresh and the simply clicked "restore" and selected the backup I made earlier.

Now I have all the up to date maps and POIs that I had paid for previously on the old PID loaded onto the replacement  :clap:

Hi 59hopper, glad you got it all sorted

Lets hope it's not too common a problem for other citigo drivers!

It seems to just be the "Garmin" units so far, I was wondering if it might be the recent sunny weather we have had. I always leave my PID in the car mount so maybe the heat through the windscreen has caused a problem, bit of a design flaw if that is the case.

It seems to just be the "Garmin" units so far, I was wondering if it might be the recent sunny weather we have had. I always leave my PID in the car mount so maybe the heat through the windscreen has caused a problem, bit of a design flaw if that is the case.

Not a good idea leaving it on display, is that 24/7?

Not a good idea leaving it on display, is that 24/7?

I've never really thought about it, but I guess I do leave it on 24/7, I have always just treated it as part of the dashboard...

Having said that, I do tend to take it off when I park somewhere new and don't know the area  :bandit:

• 4 weeks later...

Mine has just gone the same way. Its the first deviation from utter perfection that my Citigo has given me so far, so I'm a bit down about it.  Hopefully Sparshatts will play fair tomorrow morning. I'll update here, how I get on.

Belated introduction from me... We have two Citigos, one yellow Elegance Greentech 75, that was the first one sold by Sparshatts in 2012, which has now done about 29,000 miles, and I have a Red Greentech elegance 75, with dual level boot floor, extra speakers, and a spare wheel! We both have the sunset glass.  Mine is a 2014 one, that has now done about 2200 miles. Love it to bits, it is 200% better than my previous, and somewhat more expensive car, which was a Ford Ka Zetec TDCi, which had the endearing habit of letting the rain in, from 2 years old, onwards.  The Ford dealers eventually admitted it had a problem, and it took them a month to find the 6 leaks it had.  They bought it back off me in the end!  It was, to be blunt, a crock of ****...

• Like 1

Mine has just gone the same way. Its the first deviation from utter perfection that my Citigo has given me so far, so I'm a bit down about it.  Hopefully Sparshatts will play fair tomorrow morning. I'll update here, how I get on.

Belated introduction from me... We have two Citigos, one yellow Elegance Greentech 75, that was the first one sold by Sparshatts in 2012, which has now done about 29,000 miles, and I have a Red Greentech elegance 75, with dual level boot floor, extra speakers, and a spare wheel! We both have the sunset glass.  Mine is a 2014 one, that has now done about 2200 miles. Love it to bits, it is 200% better than my previous, and somewhat more expensive car, which was a Ford Ka Zetec TDCi, which had the endearing habit of letting the rain in, from 2 years old, onwards.  The Ford dealers eventually admitted it had a problem, and it took them a month to find the 6 leaks it had.  They bought it back off me in the end!  It was, to be blunt, a crock of ****...

Well, I didn't have the same luck.  They insist I bring the entire car in next Monday, for them to research the problem.  Look, Sparshatts, the PID is faulty, give me another one, now!  Not remotely impressed, so I have griped to Skoda UK asking them to direct Sparshatts to replace the PID, as its a known issue. No courtesy car, either, and I have to survive till next week with no music, and survive a multi-stop itinerary on Saturday, with no satnav.  Thanks a lot, Sparshatts.

Well, I didn't have the same luck.  They insist I bring the entire car in next Monday, for them to research the problem.  Look, Sparshatts, the PID is faulty, give me another one, now!  Not remotely impressed, so I have griped to Skoda UK asking them to direct Sparshatts to replace the PID, as its a known issue. No courtesy car, either, and I have to survive till next week with no music, and survive a multi-stop itinerary on Saturday, with no satnav.  Thanks a lot, Sparshatts.

Courtesy car is a bit of a downer, you have a radio though and hopefully a good old map.

We have original navigon unit and never had any issues.

Wow...leaving on its mount in the car! Never do I do that, I see it as a satnav loose in the car just like having a tom tom or the like on a screen mount and therefor a massive temptation for thieves!

They cost around £200 so easily a temptation for any opotunist!

Ours is popped off the mount and goes into the glove box.

• Like 1

Mine shows the battery icon sometimes, and the plug icon at some other times. PID always mounted in car, and has never complained about low battery, loss of power or anything else. So I think it´s supposed to be like that - will not bother dealer about it, as everything else works great. It´s a Garmin unit btw.

Mine shows the battery icon sometimes, and the plug icon at some other times. PID always mounted in car, and has never complained about low battery, loss of power or anything else. So I think it´s supposed to be like that - will not bother dealer about it, as everything else works great. It´s a Garmin unit btw.

Must be good to live in your country, as in low or zero car criminals around. Not that I live in a particular high crime area but I would not dare leave our PID mounted on the dash 24/7. I guess that's what you mean, always mounted in car?

We have original navigon unit and never had any issues.

Wow...leaving on its mount in the car! Never do I do that, I see it as a satnav loose in the car just like having a tom tom or the like on a screen mount and therefor a massive temptation for thieves!

They cost around £200 so easily a temptation for any opotunist!

Ours is popped off the mount and goes into the glove box.

Opportunists will still break in to a car if they see a mount and assume the sat nav is in the glove box or under a seat for example. Better to put the whole thing out of site and refit the blanking plate IMHO

Edited by Feebet

I always leave mine mounted, although my car is always either in a secure work car park or in the garage blocked in by my other car! But if I leave it in a public place (rarely) i do take it off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Must be good to live in your country, as in low or zero car criminals around. Not that I live in a particular high crime area but I would not dare leave our PID mounted on the dash 24/7. I guess that's what you mean, always mounted in car?

Correct :) Usually it´s parked next to my Superb fitted with the Amundsen+ (which holds a higher value than the PID), so guess they will leave the Citigo alone no matter what ;)