been told my 4 year old yeti needs a new engine!

notamused

Not mentioned here but it is a 1.8tsi

yes, post #2

We are getting the 1.2Tsi petrol and I suspect the engine is not so expensive but I would still hate to be paying for anything at 4 years even with 60K covered. Engines do 200k if correctly maintained these days.

Edited by DonjSZ5
  • Like 1

Oppps sorry it's a 1.8TSi diesel.

No! 1.8TSi means petrol! Diesels are mostly 2.0 and described as TDI (though the 1.6 diesel is a more recent introduction).

Do I?

- persist with Skoda UK and hope for a better offer? (have started down this route on the premise i have nothing to lose)

- persist by re-contacting Trading standards/getting legal advice?

- accept its going to be hassle and stress, and 50% is better than nothing

None is a happy option, but personally I'd opt for [3] (unless you have a lot of time and energy for either of the other two options, which very possibly won't make much material progress) and take it as a lesson that additional warranties are sometimes worth the cost.

I would go for option 3 as well, if only to get the car back on the road asap. The reconditioned engine will come with a 2 year warranty.

Option 3 - "accept its going to be hassle and stress, and 50% is better than nothing"

- but with a proviso that at first you will find difficult to swallow. You state you were close to a trade in and that you have bought a lemon. Put the ball in the supplying dealers court to offer a favourable trade-in/discount on a new vehicle, with the peace of mind addition of an extended warranty. I would imagine you should get a better deal than purchasing another make.

Colin

Pity we don't get to know what this particular problem is or what caused it as I assume they settle out of court and avoid publicity.

Are you a AAA member? If they're any good surely they'd want to know for the benefit of others.

Do they have a legal section?

In Oz, VW are bending over backwards to reclaim their reputation and it's a VW engine you're dealing with.

Best of luck with the outcome.

• 2 weeks later...

I would advise all Skoda vehicle buyers to purchase the extended the warranty option.

My experience has been that major mechanical parts are unfit for purpose i.e poor quality. I have just had the gearbox, clutch assembly and flywheel replaced on my vehicle (23,500 miles on the clock).  Luckily, my car was just within the 3 year warranty period otherwise I would have had a bill for £4600. But it was off the road for 6 weeks (Skoda couldn't source a gearbox).

Please don't fall for the hype that states Skoda is now a quality car manufacturer. And as for Skoda Customer Care - they really have no idea what that means.

Unamused - Whatever you decide to do, take the time to write to Martin Winterkorn (CEO VAG) letting him know of your Skoda experience. Herr WinterKorn is also Chairman of the Skoda board.

Did they provide a courtesy vehicle for the 6 weeks.

From my experience of other manufacturers it can and does happen to ALL other makes.

Unfortunately with the speed of development, the customer is the test bed. Some have to be the 'finder' as in your case.

Lets not forget, 9 planes can and do fly in formation....1 in 9 has an engine problem and it can be fatal. Some don't even leave the goround for it to be so. Say no more.

Did they provide a courtesy vehicle for the 6 weeks.

From my experience of other manufacturers it can and does happen to ALL other makes.

Unfortunately with the speed of development, the customer is the test bed. Some have to be the 'finder' as in your case.

Lets not forget, 9 planes can and do fly in formation....1 in 9 has an engine problem and it can be fatal. Some don't even leave the goround for it to be so. Say no more.

A courtesy vehicle was provided but it was a Golf with an electronic park brake - my wife wouldn't drive it. After a couple of weeks I requested another vehicle with a manual handbrake and eventually (about ten days before my car was fixed)  was loaned an Octavia. Had I known the repair was going to take so long, I would have insisted on a Yeti.

During my training as a Quality Engineer, I remember being told that any Company that uses its Customers as the final inspector cannot claim to be a quality manufacturer / organisation.

I accept that, in complex manufacturing, things can go wrong. But what makes a quality manufacturer stand out is the way that the Customer is handled. My experience indicates that Skoda are not capable of competently dealing with problems. They can fix cars but they can't fix Customers.

you could get an independent expert to examine the car (aa etc or an qualified motor engineer)

then depending on what he says either go after the dealer for failure to fix and hence cause the final problem, or use the evidence of manufacturing fault if he indicates that as a possible cause

if not accept the skoda offer, but it is obviously not going to get you to recommend them or replace the car with another skoda

also

Back to the dealers, and after 2 weeks of 'investigation' involveing full engine strip, have told me that the head guides are uinrepairable, and the piston rings need replacing, amounting to a new engine, at a cost of 5200.00

what is a head guide ?

valve guides I have heard of, but not head guides? sound a bit like a spingle sprocket or BS valve

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's done... my Yeti got a new engine this week. All went well and after paying the deductible I will try not to think to much about it. Have not gotten any help from Skoda but had to use my insurance. The total lack of support/goodwill from Skoda makes this my last Skoda...

156111889.jpg

156111891.jpg

.....or VW I would think, as it's their engine.

I wonder if Skoda approach VW over a failure or do they not bother, after all they are the supplier of a failed component aren't they?

Do VW care more about their reputation but burn Skoda's?

Don't think VW would want to own up to it lol. Usually the cost of this is past back to the defective part manufacturer and a huge fine to cover costs

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using TapaTalk

Don't think VW would want to own up to it lol. Usually the cost of this is past back to the defective part manufacturer and a huge fine to cover costs

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using TapaTalk

...and that's my point.

Well, it's done... my Yeti got a new engine this week. All went well and after paying the deductible I will try not to think to much about it. Have not gotten any help from Skoda but had to use my insurance. The total lack of support/goodwill from Skoda makes this my last Skoda...

156111889.jpg

156111891.jpg

Off topic I know, but how have you fixed those lights to the front of the car ?

• Like 1

I know, because I've all ready looked into this "problem" and it is a metal plate with a folded over section at the top for the lamps that then fits behind the number plate, using the number plate mountings to hold it on. I believe that one is a Hella unit and this is an Australian equivalent:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Driving-Spot-Fog-Roo-Light-Mounting-Bar-Lamp-Bracket-Spotlight-Hella-Lightforce-/400714659824?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d4c7477f0

I have not found a UK based equivalent.

However I have built a similar idea from alloy right angle that I am currently testing. Watch the "Project" section!!

And as an aside in the UK it would be illegal to have 3 auxiliary lights on the front. They have to be in pairs and symmetrical.

Llanigraham is right. It is a folded metal sheet placed behind the number plate. This is the om I use:

http://www.mekonomen.se/bil/tillbehor/el-i-bilen/extraljus/extraljus-faste-svart-pa8876sv

The lights do not weigh very much so they do not need further support.

• 1 month later...

I finally gave up on my Yeti. It's too bad as I really liked the Yeti and would definitely have bought a Yeti II if I hadn't had all the problems with the first one. A bit over a week ago I traded it in for a new Tiguan. I hope I have better luck with this one :)

156856049.jpg

I finally gave up on my Yeti. It's too bad as I really liked the Yeti and would definitely have bought a Yeti II if I hadn't had all the problems with the first one. A bit over a week ago I traded it in for a new Tiguan. I hope I have better luck with this one :)

156856049.jpg

With a different engine I presume :)

Irrespective of the warranty if you can prove it was maintained as per manufacturer's spec then you may well have a claim under the sales of goods act. I think the small claims court limit is now £10K since April. If uncontested as many large co's do then you win your case by default.

But only progress if you know you are in the right and have evidence to support your claim.

It is supposed to be relatively simple.