R1 vs Porsche

My comments on the video:

1. The car was quite a bit faster around the roundabouts but the bike was much quicker on the straights (as expected)

2. Car driver left plenty of room on the straights for the bike to pass

3. I reckon the bikes speedo was over-reading by a fair amount especially at higher speeds

4. Amazed at why a number of car drivers on one section pulled into the outside lane to let the bike(s) past?

5. It was more enjoyable then a whole series of the sanctimonious Police, Camera, Action!

More!!

And one more thing: Obviously if an Octavia or Fabia vRS had been involved, none of them would have stood a chance!!

Edited by jlwah
  • Like 2

Same here looked like you could barely fit a fag paper between the two.

I've got a bit of a adrenalin rush watching that.

I wonder what the top speed of the R1 was capable of? it did look like he had it at full beans on one of the straights, the rev counter was in the red line at 170 unless he had another gear left.

• Like 1

My comments on the video:

1. The car was quite a bit faster around the roundabouts but the bike was much quicker on the straights (as expected)

You wont see many bikes willing to give it all out on a roundabout. Theres often a lot of oil on them. Which is out to kill us all haha.

If you enjoyed watching this you should have a quick search for 'Ghostrider' (not the film with whatever the fella from Connair is called).

Similar idea - theres some clips that make my bottom imitate a rabbits nose.

JRJG

If you enjoyed watching this you should have a quick search for 'Ghostrider' (not the film with whatever the fella from Connair is called).

Similar idea - theres some clips that make my bottom imitate a rabbits nose.

JRJG

Aren't the ghost rider ones staged though?

Same here looked like you could barely fit a fag paper between the two.

I've got a bit of a adrenalin rush watching that.

I wonder what the top speed of the R1 was capable of? it did look like he had it at full beans on one of the straights, the rev counter was in the red line at 170 unless he had another gear left.

First R1's came out in 98, video looks older than that though. A couple of years ago my mates dad had a 98 R1. It would show late 170's on the speedo, possible break into the 180's. Cracking video that, doubt you'd see anything like that nowadays though (thankfully), too many pot holes, too much traffic, and too many speed cameras.

It's all fun till someone gets hurt........

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to where it was filmed?

Yeah that looks like the a303 to me. The road that goes from Somerset all the way past stonehenge and joins the M3. I travel along that road quite often including today funny enough and I also saw a injured bike rider that was hit by a car. Weird, hope he was alright though.

I used to have an r1 in the late 90's, awesome bike I've done some crazy speeds on it, I got rid after a year of owning it because I was going to hurt myself, I particularly remember wheeling at 120 mph + ....... Oh btw you could switch the speedo over to kph very easily, this looks to me to be slower than 170+ , just my opinion tho....

I also owned a very early R1 and it pulled 186 mph at 12500rpm and it was bog std. Handled like a pig though ! Yes you can switch between mph and kph but that video was definitely mph even if the speedo is a bit generous . The car is quicker in the corners slower on acceleration and possibly quicker top speed. My brother had a 911 turbo and and we had it up to 170 mph with it still pulling hard! My R1 would be struggling by then.

I also owned a very early R1 and it pulled 186 mph at 12500rpm and it was bog std. Handled like a pig though ! Yes you can switch between mph and kph but that video was definitely mph even if the speedo is a bit generous . The car is quicker in the corners slower on acceleration and possibly quicker top speed. My brother had a 911 turbo and and we had it up to 170 mph with it still pulling hard! My R1 would be struggling by then.

So. Is that you and your brother in the vid? ;)

• Like 2