So what is the best all round VAG engine?

The 1.9 TDI PD150 would be my choice, I actually liked the default setup as it gave such a rush of power which made it feel a lot faster than it was.  On top of that it was reliable for me and surprisingly frugal, it's a shame the higher powered variants were killed off for the 2.0 PD units.

John

Guest BigJase88

What ever is under the lid of a Bugatti Veyron!

8.0l W16 quad turbo with 987bhp

If someone offered me a 1.8t or one of those for free id be in a right dilemma

I'm surprised no one has mentions the 5.0l V10 Tdi.

The power and noise of a V10 with the economy of a diesel. 

The 1.9 TDI PD150 would be my choice, I actually liked the default setup as it gave such a rush of power which made it feel a lot faster than it was. On top of that it was reliable for me and surprisingly frugal, it's a shame the higher powered variants were killed off for the 2.0 PD units.

John

Chocolate camshafts though... :-/

I've got Several VAG Engines which are my Favourite Having owner Numerous (Old) Audis and VWs).

1. As Mentioned before. The VW KR 1.8 16Valve Unit. Revs Freely, and Sounds Wonderful when it's being Wound up around 4-6K! :happy:

2. The Audi KV 2226 5 Pot as in my 1988 Coupe Quattro. The 5 Cylinder Growl on these cars is Fantastic, especially in overrun through a Tunnel! :happy:

3. The VW/Audi/Skoda 1.8T Based engines...

4. The VW/Audi/Skoda 1.9TDI Units, in all forms,Even some of the laziest drivers who do zero Mainternanane Enjoy Long life from these engines.... Taxi! :happy:

And the pd150 has stronger head bolts so it must be better

Many more 150's fail than 130's... adding to the myth. Bessie mate worked at VW for years, they generally had many 150's in for early cam lobe wear. Hence the choc camshft label. I think in practice the 150's were just given the beans more, rev'd a bit to add to the wear. Plus it might explain that missing services on these cars is lethal on the head. Many owners skimp on service, thats a cast iron fact. The ones that missed their oil services, are likely to have had issues. Wear happens for a reason, I think the set up on the 150 is less forgiving in terms of lubrication a good. It needs it!

I've had 2 130's, both been absolutley faultless cars. This Fabia is my 3rd one, and is fed the same, best oil possible.

Guest BigJase88

My pd150 leon had full service history at seat on the button every 10k

I sold it about 113k miles and it was grand

I have heard there were a bad batch of cams around 2002

But i bet the failure rate is somewhat on par with say the pd130 turbo's going pop

You also have to remember the internet makes issues look more severe than they are. People ranting and raving and posting their problems. How many join a forum to say how faultless their car is. Most are looking for solutions to problems

I bet the amount of affected cars is minute in comparison to those with no issues

Edited by BigJase88

I love my 3.6 its so smooth, and sounds epic off the line!

The tfsi 2.0 was rapid in the octy and pretty efficient for a hot hatch.

I still miss my 2.0 fabia, after 60k in 2 years it was a true friend!

My dads pd100 was great, but the pd105 i had didn't seem to have the same grunt and drank more fuel.

Gotta love a zingy 100bhp 1.4 16v in my mk1 fabia once upon a time.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Tapatalk