Yay. Ordered a elegance after a years break from Skoda

Thanks. It's a hatch. I thought you couldn't be the chrome window trims now? I went on to the configurator earlier and it's an option on there.

Do they all come with the folding front passenger seat to accomodate long loads ?

Do you only get a space saver wheel ? will cradle or is wheel in boot, accomodate full size spare wheel essential for caravanning .

Folding front passenger seat is an option only on SE, can't spec this with the alcantara/leather in Elegance or the vRS seats.

Factory option spare wheel for 17 or 18 wheels is listed as 'space saver' but is a full size 16 wheel.

Thanks. It's a hatch. I thought you couldn't be the chrome window trims now? I went on to the configurator earlier and it's an option on there.

I've not checked personally but I think someone said they would be available for MY15 orders, and standard spec on L&K. Mines a MY13, very early production build as ordered on launch weekend, but me and a couple of others managed to get the chrome in via the dealer back door before SUK stopped dealers ordering on MY14 orders.

Good Evening All,

Just signed uo to ask you guys some questions hope you dont mind,

I am down sizing from a Ford Kuga as I have downsized my caravan that I tow so been seriously concidering a Skoda and struggling between the Superb or Octavis III in diesel form and what engine to go for either the 1.6 or 2.0.

Obviously the Octavia III has the new platfotm and is lighter and combined with a 1.6 engine can offer zero tax rate also the new octavia seems comparable size wise without being over large to the Superb.

I have a few questions about Octavia III

Do they all come with the folding front passenger seat to accomodate long loads ?

Do you only get a space saver wheel ? will cradle or is wheel in boot, accomodate full size spare wheel essential for caravanning .

After the Ford I would like the heated front screen which is is a real bonus in the winter, but understand this is combined with winter pack heated seats and headlamp wash ? is this available across the whole range ? I am concidering either SE or Exclusive probably SE as prefer 16" wheels not low profile for towing ,

I hope to pick up a low mileage demo or similar and have seen some attractive prices as combared to similar Passats or Audi's I would be interested if people could comment on merits of 2.0 over 1.6 diesel engine as well as towing there will be plenty of reasonable distance motorway travel not much town commuting as have a small city cars C1 for that.

Any recommendations for Skoda Bearwood seem to have reasonable stock of cars ??

Thanks in advance

Zeberdy

If you are doing a lot of motorway driving, a Superb may be the best bet. Nicer for backseat passengers, and a nicer ride and all round motorway cruiser. However the Octy seems to have all the modern toys. Superb is still very well equipped though.

As for engine. 2.0TDI anyday. 1.6 needs to much revving to get anywhere, and thats without a caravan. Also quite a bit of turbo lag.

2.0 is very smooth all through rev range. Very little turbo lag. Doesnt need revving at all  An all round very capable and powerful engine.

If your going for a Superb, id say an SE would be enough. If going for an Octy, id say go for an Elegance. Mainly for things like Cruise control and the front armrest.

If tax and fuel isnt of concern, then id go with a 2.0 170hp, Superb SE.

If tax and fuel is of high concern, then id go with a 2.0 150hp Octy Elegance.

But thats me.

• Like 1

Pretty sound advice - the Octy is newer technology and the 150PS engine is brilliant - I had a PD140 MkII Octy with a Shark Stage 1 remap and the CR150 is so much better - the power delivery is very linear whereas the PD140 was a huge surge of torque. The CR150 drives like the MkII vRS did, it is a quick diesel motor.

The Superb is probably a better towing car, BUT how often do you tow? 5 or 6 days a year maximum? The rest of the time the Superb is less fuel efficient, higher insurance, a bit wallowy on the handling, older technology all round, higher depreciation etc etc.

Needless to say, they are both very good cars. Sat in a FL Superb the other day, and for some reason i got the impression it was nicer than my Octy. Cant explain why though.

Also, on Superb, CD player is in the correct place!

Regarding the wallowy handling mentioned by AndyVee. I guess thats a compromise of the softer suspension. It'll depend how much of a drivers driver you are!! If you are just a normal everyday driver like myself, I doubt you will worry about the Superbs handling. Youd probably prefer the softer setup.

So its likely to come down to cost and whether you can warrant the extra fuel and tax of a Superb. Will depend on your annual mileage I would think. The higher it is, the more chance a Superb is worth it.

• Like 1

To be fair, the FL Superb has moved the engine tech on, if not the info tech. My old Berb was a 170CR Manual Elegance, CO2 was 153g/km but the same engine now only has 120g/km. Even with the higher CO2, I used to get well over 50mpg on a run, sometimes even saw over 60mpg and my long term average was about bob on the official combined of 49mpg but can't get anywhere near the official combined with the Octy, cos they just fiddle the figures too much these days to get the official CO2 down.

Despite its few drawbacks, I love my Octy but I still miss my Berb, even at 4 yr old with 88k on the clock it was still solid as a rock, and the ride was far superior even sat on the Eleg standard 18" wheels, I just fancied a change after 4 yrs but roll on 2016 and I recon a Superb III will be at the top of my next new car list! :rofl:

To be fair, the FL Superb has moved the engine tech on, if not the info tech. My old Berb was a 170CR Manual Elegance, CO2 was 153g/km but the same engine now only has 120g/km. Even with the higher CO2, I used to get well over 50mpg on a run, sometimes even saw over 60mpg and my long term average was about bob on the official combined of 49mpg but can't get anywhere near the official combined with the Octy, cos they just fiddle the figures too much these days to get the official CO2 down.

Despite its few drawbacks, I love my Octy but I still miss my Berb, even at 4 yr old with 88k on the clock it was still solid as a rock, and the ride was far superior even sat on the Eleg standard 18" wheels, I just fancied a change after 4 yrs but roll on 2016 and I recon a Superb III will be at the top of my next new car list! :rofl:

That is true. The Superbs engines are now much better. So you dont need to worry as much about fuel/ tax if you do go for the Superb.

Matt, find a nice section of A road with a 50 limit. You may find you get very close to the advertised figures.

Going 70, im looking around 65mpg, perhaps slightly higher.

Think I may look seriously at a Superb for my next car. Can just imagine my parents face qhen i turn up in a car as large as the Superb.

When I got the Octy my dad thought i was mad. Asked why i never went for something like a Golf. Please, a Golf? Less car for more money!

Completed the deal today. Looks like the car was produced mid march. Have the commission number now so all I can do is wait. Did a test drive on another octavia today just to get a feel for it. Loving it and can't wait.

• Like 2

That is true. The Superbs engines are now much better. So you dont need to worry as much about fuel/ tax if you do go for the Superb.

Matt, find a nice section of A road with a 50 limit. You may find you get very close to the advertised figures.

Going 70, im looking around 65mpg, perhaps slightly higher.

Think I may look seriously at a Superb for my next car. Can just imagine my parents face qhen i turn up in a car as large as the Superb.

When I got the Octy my dad thought i was mad. Asked why i never went for something like a Golf. Please, a Golf? Less car for more money!

Eyup chap, yep I'm doing plenty of motorway cruising at the mo through the road works between Sheff/Notts and Sheff/Leeds, and I have seen over 70mpg on a couple of occasions on the fuel computer and mid 60s quite regularly but over a tank in the real world on Fuelly still not averaged over 60, my best is 59.9! Official average defo a bit of a pipe dream over a full tank unless you travel down hill everywhere! My point is that the latest eco tweaks like stop start help us all save on our tax bills but don't actually save much at the pumps, the main reason why the Octy is more efficient than the Berb will be the lower kerb weight, but I bet the newer FL Berbs with 120g/km are no more efficient in real world than my old 170CR with it's 153 g/km rating.

Eyup chap, yep I'm doing plenty of motorway cruising at the mo through the road works between Sheff/Notts and Sheff/Leeds, and I have seen over 70mpg on a couple of occasions on the fuel computer and mid 60s quite regularly but over a tank in the real world on Fuelly still not averaged over 60, my best is 59.9! Official average defo a bit of a pipe dream over a full tank unless you travel down hill everywhere! My point is that the latest eco tweaks like stop start help us all save on our tax bills but don't actually save much at the pumps, the main reason why the Octy is more efficient than the Berb will be the lower kerb weight, but I bet the newer FL Berbs with 120g/km are no more efficient in real world than my old 170CR with it's 153 g/km rating.

The best i have on a long journey is about 60mpg according to the computer.

The official figures now are certainly extremely difficult to attain.

• Like 1

I didn't buy a new car to save fuel although, every thread on here seems to get around to fuel saving eventually Not saying it good thing Not saying its a bad thing either just, saying.

Probably because its still quite a new vehicle, and people are intrigued as to how accurate the official figures are.

Anyway, diesels are now large sellers, and considering not many people like the sound of a proper engine, its no doubt down to the superior efficiency over petrol engines (boy these diesels are good!!). So im guessing fuel efficiency is quite high on a lot of peoples books.

Probably because its still quite a new vehicle, and people are intrigued as to how accurate the official figures are.

Anyway, diesels are now large sellers, and considering not many people like the sound of a proper engine, its no doubt down to the superior efficiency over petrol engines (boy these diesels are good!!). So im guessing fuel efficiency is quite high on a lot of peoples books.

If I can get a car twice the size, nearly three times the power, and still average around the same fuel economy of my Pug 107 then I will be immensely happy. Long term average for my Pug is about 52mpg which should hopefully be doable with my Octy 4x4 :)

Ordered last Thursday. Dealer called today said still at dock. Could be today or could be a few days before it sails. When should I start worrying? I ordered it already built because I would like it asap. I'm an impatient git.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Edited by tigermad

Just looked at the marine info website peeps on here have kindly posted. A vag cruiser has left Emden bound for Sheerness tonight. Wonder if mine is on board? (OK I am obsessed!)

@ Tigermad - congratulations and I hope you will be as happy with your Elegance as I am with mine. FWIW the diesel suits the laid back character of the car very well, nice and relaxed and without the need to constantly change gear which you'd have with a less torquey petrol engine. Performance is very good, economy brilliant, comfort great, quality of build and finish good for the money and I find it easier to manoeuvre and park than my wife's Honda Jazz, believe it or not. And icing on the cake is I've had no problems whatsoever in 18k miles.

I'd agree with what others have said here, it is not the slightest bit sporty, handling is far too wallowy and imprecise for that - but that's fine as it makes no pretence at being a sports car.

@ Tigermad - congratulations and I hope you will be as happy with your Elegance as I am with mine. FWIW the diesel suits the laid back character of the car very well, nice and relaxed and without the need to constantly change gear which you'd have with a less torquey petrol engine. Performance is very good, economy brilliant, comfort great, quality of build and finish good for the money and I find it easier to manoeuvre and park than my wife's Honda Jazz, believe it or not. And icing on the cake is I've had no problems whatsoever in 18k miles.

I'd agree with what others have said here, it is not the slightest bit sporty, handling is far too wallowy and imprecise for that - but that's fine as it makes no pretence at being a sports car.

Another one thats used to sporty cars :rofl:

Id say the Elegance is far from wallowy, and the suspension is too harsh to boot.

Timoctav- Why is it the torque leaves you having to change gear less? Sorry, my knowledge on this is quite basic.

Another one thats used to sporty cars :rofl:

Id say the Elegance is far from wallowy, and the suspension is too harsh to boot.

Timoctav- Why is it the torque leaves you having to change gear less? Sorry, my knowledge on this is quite basic.

'fraid so - had Porsches for the last nine years, just sold my last one, with retirement not that far away cannot justify the costs of properly maintaining what has been basically a fun day and Sunday car. Buying a BMW 3 series M Sport Touring.

The Octavia Elegance is not a precise drivers car, rolls far too much in corners and very little feel from the steering. It's not a criticism of the car, more of an observation as it does not pretend to be in anyway sporty - but suits me just fine for my 40 mile daily commute down the M27.

Regarding the torquey engine - as with most diesels high torque is there very low down in the rev range, you can stay in the same gear right down to less than 1500 rpm and still pull away without the need to change down - you couldn't do that in a petrol engined version.

'fraid so - had Porsches for the last nine years, just sold my last one, with retirement not that far away cannot justify the costs of properly maintaining what has been basically a fun day and Sunday car. Buying a BMW 3 series M Sport Touring.

The Octavia Elegance is not a precise drivers car, rolls far too much in corners and very little feel from the steering. It's not a criticism of the car, more of an observation as it does not pretend to be in anyway sporty - but suits me just fine for my 40 mile daily commute down the M27.

Regarding the torquey engine - as with most diesels high torque is there very low down in the rev range, you can stay in the same gear right down to less than 1500 rpm and still pull away without the need to change down - you couldn't do that in a petrol engined version.

Whatever you do, dont try a Focus then. That rolls even more than the Octy! Hence why i said the Octy wasnt too bad. More precise steering on the Focus though.

A Beamer? Nah, just 2 letters for you. XF :)

Cheers for the info on torqueness!

The car is still in Emden (where it was before I purchased it). I hope it moves soon or I might as well have ordered a new one to the spec I actually wanted  :think:

.......A Beamer? Nah, just 2 letters for you. XF :)

.......!

Too big, for us I'm afraid. Wouldn't fit in my garage either - but agree the XF is a very fine car indeed and I would much rather have one than a BMW 5 series which is it's direct competitor.