vrs engine idle

Glad mine doesnt sound like that! Thought that was loud!

I assume everything is attached like it should be?

As far as I know. Going to have a look this morning.

It's a very rhythmic sound, a bit like a sewing machine as someone said. There's not something stuck on the belt at 0.44-ish, is there? Something whizzing past periodically? Or just some writing on it?

Edited by OzFabia
  • Like 2

It's a very rhythmic sound, a bit like a sewing machine as someone said. There's not something stuck on the belt at 0.44-ish, is there? Something whizzing past periodically? Or just some writing on it?

Just writing, I think.

Too late to take it to a skoda dealer today. Service department shuts at 12! Stupid!

• 2 weeks later...

There is an audible sqeak on start up. Only happens once around 2 secs after starting.

Also there seems to be a valve "fart" noise after the eninge is turned off. I presume this is releasing air?

I hope im not going mad and hearing things!

post-65411-0-58195700-1401819544_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Matt, 

The car went in for a service last Saturday. 

They had a quick look whilst they updated the DSG and Oil. They said, they couldn't find any fault codes. 

However, the car is going back in next Tuesday evening. This is due to a 30m+ Scratch on the bonnet that appeared whilst in their hands (But to be fair, they have contacted me and organised a CC. 

I have asked them to look at the engine, specifically from cold. And even though no faults codes are found, to check the misfire logs / count.

But to sum up, they seemed to think the engine tone and movement was normal.. 

Matt 

Their Techs are often call Tommy,

because they are Deaf, Dumb & Blind, and every cars sounds about right to them.

Best thing is to go Listen yourself to another vRS or 3, & you decide if they sound like yours.

You will listen with an ear that hears, and an open mind,

and with the intention of your car driving as designed to, in engine tone and movement.

george

My cars in for its 20k service on Tuesday. I have ask them to check mine, as it sounds pretty similar to yours. Will report back with news.

George could you upload a similar video of yours in order to have something to compare to? Honestly to me it didn't sound as bad, maybe a bit louder than what I would expect but not something crazy. I will try to record a video of mine as well once I get home.

PS. I do have the distinctive "farting" on turning off the engine, I would describe it as the noise you hear when you have a puncture, 6-8 consecutive times every time I switch off the engine but I would swear it only started recently.

PS. I do have the distinctive "farting" on turning off the engine, I would describe it as the noise you hear when you have a puncture, 6-8 consecutive times every time I switch off the engine but I would swear it only started recently.

I have started to get this noise after turning off the engine.

It is to do with the hot weather, these engines run very hot so it is to do with cooling after shutdown.

There is a thread on here about it.

Glad I found this thread. Was wondering what that hissing noise was. I asked skoda to look at it but I got the 'they all do that' unfortunately they didnt have one there to compare to. So this is definitely a normal noise? Just because its only started very recently. Maybe when the dsg work was done but that may be me being paranoid/on a witch hunt.

Just as a comparison I filmed a cold start on mine today. The noise is normal I think (phone video makes it sound worse than it really is...) just wanted to show how my engine moves about due to its misfire or whatever it is.

http://s175.photobucket.com/user/mattmattk/media/20140612_163318.mp4.html

Edited by MattGreen

Oh and with regards to the movement of the engine whilst cold, I'm currently having work done on mine under warranty for it. (Juddering like that is not normal). Mine developed it so I know its not normal as it didn't used to happen. Good luck.

Oh and with regards to the movement of the engine whilst cold, I'm currently having work done on mine under warranty for it. (Juddering like that is not normal). Mine developed it so I know its not normal as it didn't used to happen. Good luck.

Hi matt,

What work is being done to the car?