Paint

chris c

Anybody know if the tornado red is clear coated?.

I returned to my car after work yesterday to find it plastered in wood pigeon c**p baked on by the sun :'(

It took me ages to soak it and get it off but it's marked the paint!! I've tried ultimate compound and super resin polish but it seems permanent.

I really wanted a silver car but Sport wasn't available in silver!.

Yes, it has a clear coat on top of the tornado red base coat :-) Polish some more, or have someone with a paint depth gauge wet sand and machine polish it :-)

Do all colours have a Clear Coat now?  If they do, presumably this is because the paint is water based so needs more protection from the elements and bird splat?

A bird crapped on my white Up no matter what we did it left a mark a professional said that when they changed to water based paints it is essential that bird crap is removed immediately.

Is the clear coat also water based?

No, there is no water based clearcoat used in the automotive industry, I'm not sure one even exists..... I've been working in the automotive paint industry for 16 years supplying OEMs with interior and exterior painted plastics, we don't use any water based paints on exterior body colour parts, water based are just crap. We have used some in the past and you still need a solvent based clearcoat for protection and usually use a solvent based primer too.

I have just read ChrisR's article properly and it would appear that the clear coat isn't water based.  If this is the case then why are cars still being badly damaged by bird crap?  Surely the clear coat could be made resistant to almost anything?

"The clear coat is a clear two-part paint.  It is a polyurethane or urethane paint that provides a tough, clear and durable protection layer to the software water-based colour coatings.  Because water-based paints are generally more porous, the clear coat bond exceptional well to them, producing a permanent bond between the layers."

Edited by JimmyR

Its all water based colour and clear coat the fact that it does not disolve when it rains is because of the other parts of the formula. .Cellulose based paints and top coats have been banned in the auto industry for years.For some unknown reason (unknown to me)red is the worst colour it soon looses its colour.

• Like 1

Your article also states clear coats aren't water based so what are you disagreeing with?  Or are you disagreeing that the paints our company uses on parts for Jaguar Land Rover, Toyota, Bentley and a few others that are approved by them and supplied to us in solvent based form are actually water based?

These are facts from working in the paint industry for the last 16 years programming industrial paint robots, not something I have read on the internet and just posted a link to....

• Like 1

Its all water based colour and clear coat the fact that it does not disolve when it rains is because of the other parts of the formula. .Cellulose based paints and top coats have been banned in the auto industry for years.For some unknown reason (unknown to me)red is the worst colour it soon looses its colour.

Total rubbish!

• Like 1

"The clear coat is a clear two-part paint.  It is a polyurethane or urethane paint that provides a tough, clear and durable protection layer to the "software" water-based colour coatings.  Because water-based paints are generally more porous, the clear coat bond exceptional well to them, producing a permanent bond between the layers."

Surely "software" should say softer?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Can anybody tell me the best way to get all the black crap off the citigo! i have just cleaned it and theres loads of small black marks on either side and the back of my car! even getting what nails i have under them doesn't shift it! Not sure if its tar or not and if so what can be used to shift it?