Yeti engine choices

SteveP

Hi - I'm a current Fabia vRS owner in the market for a Yeti. I will probably buy an approved pre-owned model as I did with the Fabia.

My Fabia has the 1.9tdi engine, which I have had no problems with. The cambelt change with age requirement is a bit onerous (I've only done 34K miles in the eight years I've had it, but changed the cambelt twice) and adds to the service cost. Not sure if this applies to all Yeti engines?

I've read the new 2.0 deisel has some issues - but then you only hear the bad stuff. I don't really need diesel with my low annual mileage, but I do like the "grunt".

Just wondering what others think of the 2.0 diesel in the Yeti (which I hear uses more fuel than the 1.9) compared to the petrol offerings (of which I have also heard issues). I would want the 4X4 Yeti, so that narrows the choice a bit. Thanks!

I have not heard of any issues with the 2.0 diesel unit. Only some issues with the 1.2 petrol TSI engine but I think they related to the earlier engines and have mostly been ironed out now.

I'm not sure what the 1.9 returns in other models, but in the Yeti, the 2.0 seems to return between 40-48mpg depending on whether its the 110, 140 or 170 and how heavy your right foot is.

The 1.2 seems to be around the 35-38mpg range, but is 1) cheaper to buy and 2) fills from the cheaper pump at the forecourt.

....... I have also heard issues....

In my experience to date, the 2.0 140 DSG issues a quiet growl when encouraged with the right foot.  That's the only issue I've heard :happy:

• Like 2

I changed from a vRS SE to a Yeti 1.2 DSG TSI. I'm disappointed with the MPG 35-38 and It doesn't seem to be affected by the way I drive. Same journey to work and home and it varies between the above figures.

Prior to the Yeti, I've had 3 cars with a remapped PD130 engine (which I'm suspecting you've got in the Fabia?).

I now have the CR170 in the Yeti, and it certainly drives very differently to the PD.

The PD engines deliver a massive surge of torque around the 2krpm mark, which makes them feel very rapid.

The CR engine has a far smoother delivery, and revs more freely than the PD, up 4500-5000 rpm. More petrol-like compared to the PD. Coming from a PD engine you might think it's not as quick as you don't get the same shove in the back, but it is, just delivered differently.

Don't think there are really any issues with the 2.0 CR units. The DPFs that were fitted to earlier generations certainly caused people a lot of grief, but in these engines they're a whole load better, I don't think I've seen anyone on here report an issue with them, even those who cover lower mileages.

I'm happy with mine !

If you've got used to wheelspin in the Fabia, you can wave bye-bye to that with a 4x4...even on greasy wet roads you can pull out of a side road sharpish no problems, no more sitting part way across the road waiting for traction while things are heading towards you :)

• Like 1

I had the 105bhp 1.9 in a Fabia, and now have a CR170 Yeti. The PD did indeed have a bit of a shove when the turbo got going, whereas the CR seems smoother in its delivery, but overall there's a lot more go (as you might expect), and it certainly doesn't feel slow.

Plus the four wheel drive means you can use all the power almost all the time, and compared to the PD the power just keeps on coming in a much wider band.

Which is pretty much what Muddyboots said.

Prior to the Yeti, I've had 3 cars with a remapped PD130 engine (which I'm suspecting you've got in the Fabia?).

I now have the CR170 in the Yeti, and it certainly drives very differently to the PD.

The PD engines deliver a massive surge of torque around the 2krpm mark, which makes them feel very rapid.

The CR engine has a far smoother delivery, and revs more freely than the PD, up 4500-5000 rpm. More petrol-like compared to the PD. Coming from a PD engine you might think it's not as quick as you don't get the same shove in the back, but it is, just delivered differently.

Don't think there are really any issues with the 2.0 CR units. The DPFs that were fitted to earlier generations certainly caused people a lot of grief, but in these engines they're a whole load better, I don't think I've seen anyone on here report an issue with them, even those who cover lower mileages.

I'm happy with mine !

If you've got used to wheelspin in the Fabia, you can wave bye-bye to that with a 4x4...even on greasy wet roads you can pull out of a side road sharpish no problems, no more sitting part way across the road waiting for traction while things are heading towards you :)

At the risk of sounding like a kill joy, sad old git etc :wonder: , driving like this is not my style.

What you say is correct, and I'm no slouch when off road in motorsport mode. However I saw a torque curve recenty (can't find it now!!) which showed a flat line torque for a relatively short rev range. Driving a diesel quickly is about finding the torque band and short shifting - I know 'cos I've sat in with Alistair McRae giving it some in a Dakar 4x4 Enduro he was developing. It's no good revving the b******s off the engine - you won't get there any quicker !

Just my opinion.

The CR diesel is a lovely engine, roller cam hydraulic lifters, can rev if needed (but why?), seems to be very re-mappable

I'm intrigued about these "issues" with the 2 litre engine, as I can't think of any. Perhaps the OP could be more specific?

Mine's now done just over 80k and I have had no engine problems. Cam belt will be changed at the next service, which will be before the now required 5 years. Fuel consumption has averaged at the top end of the 40's, and that includes low gear use off-road and towing a caravan across the UK and France. I would agree with Jerry about the power band. Certainly with the 140 bhp there is no need to rev the rocks off it. I doubt I rarely go above 3500, but I can still "press on"

Given a few days of owning a 2.0 (110) it works great, gives a a good push in the back if you put your foot down. 99% of the time so far I have hardly gone above 3500 as Graham has said, most of the time it's around 1200rpm and pulling well. If the 110 is like this I would love the 140 or the 170.

A thing you could do is get a 110/140 and remap it.

I'm happy with mine !

I can only agree with this assessment. I had a 1.9 tdi Roomster Scout before getting a 110bhp Yeti. Much smoother power delivery over a wider rev range initially gave the impression that it was less powerful than the 1.9Tdi but it's only an impression. The torque band is a bit higher as well but it's not detrimental in any way, just different. I now have a 140 DSG 4x4 and am most impressed. It's a much more laid back driving experience until you bury the loud pedal then you just hang on! I imagine the 170 is much more that this.

Fred

I had an Octy vRS with the 170 CR engine, and will admit to abusing it with a very low milage when I PX for the current car. 

It was a good reliable engine - NO DPF issues, my only slight disappointment was that because of the emissions regulations it that the same lb/ft torque as my MK1 Fabia vRS with the 130 PD engine. 

As already said it was smoother than the PD so doesnt feel as rapid, specially with the addtional weight.

Dont be afraid of the CR engine as it has been around now for at least 4 years so it will have had virtually all its issues ironed out.