Excessive front tyre wear...

Mine came with Dunlop Sport Maxx GT's on Golus 18" rims, same size tyre as standard vRS, done 21k so far and fronts still over 4mm remaining, rears pretty much still like new with over 6mm, so got to say I can recommend them for wear rate, I do however cover most of my mileage on the motorway, so pretty easy going on the tyre wear.

What are they like for noise Matt?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

What are they like for noise Matt?

Ok for noise, but probably drowned out by my rear torsion beam set up! :rofl: I'm quite impressed as an all rounder, not sure what the official rating is, one of my work mates said they would be rubbish as all Dunlops are supposedly rubbish according to him but these seem to be a new generation of Dunlop and seem to get good reviews online. Edited by Matt Pez

Yer I have been looking at a pair for my MK2 vrs. Can't decide on the GT or RT. My only concern is wear rate. I've used Dunlop for a couple of years and never had issues.

Mine came with Dunlop Sport Maxx GT's on Golus 18" rims, same size tyre as standard vRS, done 21k so far and fronts still over 4mm remaining, rears pretty much still like new with over 6mm, so got to say I can recommend them for wear rate, I do however cover most of my mileage on the motorway, so pretty easy going on the tyre wear.

Same as mine :)

I find they aren't that grippy in the wet, not as good as SC5s or Eagle F1 AS 2's

Same as mine :)

I find they aren't that grippy in the wet, not as good as SC5s or Eagle F1 AS 2's

I normally go for Contis and my driving style and mix of journeys can usually get 25k+ out of the fronts and 50k+ from the rears, so the Dunlops have gone up in my estimation. Also, based on my driving style, I honestly can't say whether they are more or less grippy than the Contis, and not really sure how you can tell the difference under normal road use, I'm not one for racing off at the lights.

As a few people mentioned, mine arrived with bridgestones on - is there any reason some come with contis and some with bridgestone?

Cost, Skoda put on whatever they can get the lowest price on that meet the size/rating at a certain customer perception of quality, Contis Bridges Mitchs it don't bother them well, they ain't gotta drive them have they.

• Like 1

Lady V, I'veoordered the efficient grip performance in 92W xl speed and load rating and with the MFS rim protection. Look around and you'll see non performance ones and ones with FP not Mrs...not quite sure on the difference....think its sidewall protection not rim?

• Like 1

hmm okay, so my tires still have enough tread on them?? the top pic is the rear, which is most certainly fine, the two underneath are my front tire... i assume the little bits of rubber that cross the tread are there to tell me that once they are incontact with the ground, they need replacing.. i wont worry about getting tracking sorted then, perhaps i am driving it a tad too fast :)

8k miles, new tyres it seems :( cheers for all the help guys, il definately swap out these contis for another make mentioned above!

The legal limit for tyre tread is 1.8mm - i.e. if any of the grooves are less than 1.8mm then you need new tyres (legally).  Most people change them around 2.5-3mm - apart from company car drivers whose lease companies won't change them until they get to 2mm (from personal experience).

• Like 1

The legal limit for tyre tread is 1.8mm - i.e. if any of the grooves are less than 1.8mm then you need new tyres (legally).  Most people change them around 2.5-3mm - apart from company car drivers whose lease companies won't change them until they get to 2mm (from personal experience).

Legal limit in the UK is 1.6mm across the centre 3/4 of the tread.

• Like 2

I'm sure I read in a thread recently the wear markers are now 1.8mm which is the limit in a number of countries

Even if that is true the legal limit in the uk is still 1.6mm.

Michelin PS-3's are superb have them on the modded Focus RS & they stick like glue even in the wet. Had the car round the full GP circuit at Silverstone a couple of years ago ... epic :clap:

my tires are over inflated?? skoda dealership gave me the car like that.. never thought to check the psi, just assumed they got that right... phew, if they are only slightly worn, then i wont bother with the change... :)

what on earth do transport blocks look like... under the front wheel arch theres just some big ass suspension, il check they are at 45psi when i get the chance

Forgive me for being a  noob... first car and new to the scene etc.. :)

Check out this thread:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/315987-heads-up-for-new-cars-something-to-look-for/

They will be under the piston covers, you should be able to figure out from the pictures on there by me and others.

Thank you :) nope no transport blocks, they have definitely been removed... what PSI are you guys running your tyres at? (front and back) mine are 45PSI, so perhaps they are a little on the hard side...

Thank you :) nope no transport blocks, they have definitely been removed... what PSI are you guys running your tyres at? (front and back) mine are 45PSI, so perhaps they are a little on the hard side...

Open your filler cap and the pressures are in there behind the ice scraper :) I can't remember what they are now but if you have heavy loads then the rear should be higher than the front... I think its 34psi front/back generally?

• Like 1