Fight with Skoda Dealer - Defected paint work

So some might recall that my Superb FL was dunted back in Febuary this year. Back quater, wheel arch and bumper repaired/replaced.

On the weekend there i was cleaning the car as i do most weekends with my pressure washer and noticed that some paint had bubbled and flaked off.

Today i had the car booked in for inspection of the bumper and low and behold i have a 3 year warrenty on paint which the dealer will not acknowledge for this defect. They clame there is mechanical damage (a scratch) which lead to the paint coming off. I cannot see anywhere where this scratch is or could have been. They are offering to touch up the bumper with s touch up pen.

I am not accpeting this and have now had confirmation that the bumper was infact replaced during the repair back in Febuary, which leads me to think there is some defect of the paint work.

Regardless if there was a scratch i would not expect the paint to flake off during washing, other wise in year to come there would be no paint left on the bumper.

Question is, anyone else occured such defects or problems??

25052014_1.jpg

Don't mention the high pressure washer thing to the dealer. Use the position "you repainted it, your repaint work was shoddy"

And don't ever use the high pressure washer again, those things take off paint in a second...

Don't mention the high pressure washer thing to the dealer. Use the position "you repainted it, your repaint work was shoddy"

And don't ever use the high pressure washer again, those things take off paint in a second...

I've used pressure washers on most of my cars over 20+ years and never once had this issue......... I never have the lance on full when washing the plastic bumpers only the metal work.

Oh no :( 

I too haven't had any problems with household pressure washers. I don't think a car that's been painted to factory standards should do that in the first place. 

Even at genuine dealers they all use pressure washers!? 

A pressure washer will easily lift paint if its already a little damaged. Trouble with paint on plastic parts like this is that a little twisting or movement of the plastic can cause paint to pop and then be at risk from lifting with a pressure washer etc. A knock on the bumper could easily loosen the paint enough to start this but equally it could be a defective paint job - its pretty much impossible to know what caused it so it always comes down to one persons word against another. I suspect you'll find it hard to prove anything and given how long you've had the car back since the repair with no complaint about paint quality I think you're going to struggle to change their minds.

I would support Too Tall's comments. I used a pressure washer on my previous car and thought I was removing flies on front bumper until I noticed more we're appearing and in fact they were dots of paint coming off revealing black plastic underneath. Also left large patches of laquer missing in paintwork. IMHO you are playing with fire using these on your car. Bit of elbow grease is the answer!

• Like 1

elbow grease will result in fine scratches surely?

I have used a 125bar washer on my car for almost a year with no damage caused anywhere,

Was washed once with a petrol driven 180bar machine and still no damage (as I would expect)

Paint applied properly should not come off with pressure washing.

Plastic parts do need a specific primer however and perhaps the repair was done without this?

Applying paint properly is one thing, but it doesn't stay perfect for ever.

Small stone chips and fine scratches picked up through normal day-to-day driving can be enough to give a pressure washer the invite it needs to get under and lift the paint.

Nothing wrong with pressure washers as long as you keep the nozzle well away from the paint. Getting an inch away to remove that stuborn stain and squashed fly is asking for trouble, especially on edges or corners.

Special paint has to be used on the plastic panels, I had the extra front and rear trims fitted and painted on one of my Superbs, this was done by the bodyshop the dealers used. Any small stone chips made small flakes of paint come off down to the black plastic base panel. I just kept touching up with genuine touch up but was not suitable for plastic panels. MY other 3 Superbs had any extra trims factory fitted and painted and never had any problem with stone chips making bits flake off.

A friend of mine got his car resprayed he used to always use the garden hose connected the the outside tap to wash his car.

8 months down the road he seen a pressure washer for a good price went to washed his car and made a right mess of the bumper.

He had to get the bumper done again since then he has never touched his car with a pressure washer. A hose with a gun attachment has got plenty power for cleaning you car. If it was me I, d try chips away or a moblie paint repair guy should cost about 50 to 80 pounds and I would not go near it with a pressure washer again goodluck

if you struggle with flies and other organic mess on the bumpers you need the 1z Insect Cleaner - spray it on, leave to soften the dead crap, then rinse it all off with a light hose. Its brilliant stuff designed specifically for insect debris etc on the paintwork. Its not easy to find but you can get it in concentrate form which also makes it very good value. Quick spray, followed by a foam and then when its all rinsed off there rarely anything left to clean off with the wash :D

Yes - I know a bit about pro detailing having had a sideline business a few years ago detailing very high end supercars.  

• Like 1

if you struggle with flies and other organic mess on the bumpers you need the 1z Insect Cleaner - spray it on, leave to soften the dead crap, then rinse it all off with a light hose. Its brilliant stuff designed specifically for insect debris etc on the paintwork. Its not easy to find but you can get it in concentrate form which also makes it very good value. Quick spray, followed by a foam and then when its all rinsed off there rarely anything left to clean off with the wash :D

Thanks for the recommendation!  I've been struggling for years with flies etc on the front bumper and bonnet.  Once they get bedded in for a while and you don't wash the car for a few weeks it usually impossible to get them off and then you end up scratching the paint trying to get them out.  Have tried other products with limited success.  Will give this a go.

Detailing high cars - now I bet you've worked on a few nice machines! 

Thanks for the recommendation!  I've been struggling for years with flies etc on the front bumper and bonnet.  Once they get bedded in for a while and you don't wash the car for a few weeks it usually impossible to get them off and then you end up scratching the paint trying to get them out.  Have tried other products with limited success.  Will give this a go.

Detailing high cars - now I bet you've worked on a few nice machines! 

Yep - Veyron has to be the best of all though :D

elbow grease will result in fine scratches surely?

I have used a 125bar washer on my car for almost a year with no damage caused anywhere,

Was washed once with a petrol driven 180bar machine and still no damage (as I would expect)

Paint applied properly should not come off with pressure washing.

Plastic parts do need a specific primer however and perhaps the repair was done without this?

Perhaps an additional note in the Car Handbook /paintwork warranty / would be helpful. Skoda having proved out the acceptable level of pressure wash on all body parts-plastic and metal.

Don't put it through the car wash as it will come out coloured and  black panels mix. !!!

• 3 weeks later...

So after many emails and conversations with the service manager oh and one esculation the rear bumper is now going to be repaited free of charge.

so no touch up paint or insurance claim.

Happy Chappy.

• Like 1

Yes - I know a bit about pro detailing having had a sideline business a few years ago detailing very high end supercars.  

Recall the username from DW!! Damon, IIRC?

So after many emails and conversations with the service manager oh and one esculation the rear bumper is now going to be repaited free of charge.

so no touch up paint or insurance claim.

Happy Chappy.

Glad you got a result Scott, well done!