Few problems on F/l yeti

jerbear

My Yeti is nearly 3 months old now. It is a Elegance 170 4x4.

Since owning the car I have had three possible faults which have just been investigated by a dealer and wondering if anybody had similar or agree/disagree with dealer explanation.

Problems

1. Front left headlight throwing up bulb failure light intermittently, usually clears if turning ignition off and back on.

2. On few occasions when parking noticed engine fans running and engine smelling "hot" and a slight smell of rubber.

3. When driving over small crests on very light throttle, feels like the engine dies momentarily on decline very similar to when vehicle is in cruise control. Had previous Skoda cars with CC and not experienced this before, on drive to and from work this will happen in same place on the road.

Answers.

1. Headlight removed, including bumper and wiring diagnostics checked. Possible bad connection. Refitted and faults cleared. Ok so far.

2. Regeneration of DPF. Smell more noticeable as vehicle new?

3. This is normal.

Thanks in advance.

My last car, a BMW Z4 coupe had an intermittent bulb warning. On a Z4 forum they said it was potentially a duff bulb. It seemed to clear up though...

No idea about 2 but maybe fuel shutoff is a bit more noticeable on some cars?

• Like 1

Not Yeti but,

1. My daughter had this on her VW Polo's, rear near side light. I removed it and remade the connection. It has not faulted since.

2. Common on many cars that the fan runs after the vehicle is evacuated.

3. No comment.

• Like 1

DPF regeneration fans/smell is absolutely normal. I suppose the smell may be a bit more noticeable on a new vehicle before all the paint in hot areas may have burnt off, but it's still always perceptible if you happen to stop during an active regen. You learn to ignore it after a while.

• Like 2

#1 appears to be the only problem. Mk3 Octavias seem to be having the same problem with N/S headlights and the bi xenon controller on that side are being replaced. Probably it is just a bad connection on them as well but with mechanics relying too heavily on machines telling them what's wrong instead of fault finding, then if machine says controller faulty they replace it, and the probable faulty connection disappears during disconnection/ reconnection and the mechanic is happy fault is fixed. So there is probably a pile of perfectly good controllers being thrown in the bin.

• Like 1

^ ^ and return to a plie of ash?? ;-)

That's always a finite risk of course, but if it just smells 'hot' and the fan is running then it's a regen. OTOH if wisps of smoke are curling up from the grille or wheel arches then there may be other causes. :)

Edited by prodata
  • Like 1

My Yeti is nearly 3 months old now. It is a Elegance 170 4x4.

Since owning the car I have had three possible faults which have just been investigated by a dealer and wondering if anybody had similar or agree/disagree with dealer explanation.

Problems

1. Front left headlight throwing up bulb failure light intermittently, usually clears if turning ignition off and back on.    - No

2. On few occasions when parking noticed engine fans running and engine smelling "hot" and a slight smell of rubber.   - Just once after a 4 mile trip

3. When driving over small crests on very light throttle, feels like the engine dies momentarily on decline very similar to when vehicle is in cruise control. Had previous Skoda cars with CC and not experienced this before, on drive to and from work this will happen in same place on the road.   - Yes, don't know why, but it always happens on the same road at the same place and did on my previous Audi A4 as well!

• Like 1

I've had something similar to point 3 on a Seat Ibiza TDI PD 130.  When the slope is sufficient to keep the engine turning through gravity, no fuel is injected. When the engine management began to inject fuel again, there was a slight jerk.  It could happen several times in quick succession on a descent that took 5-6 seconds.

• Like 1

2 & 3 are normal - at least I get the same on my Yeti.

2. DPF regen. Still get this occasionally, but not as frequent as when new (now at 26K).

3. The slight dead spot I notice most on downhill sections just as they level out and I apply a little throttle to keep it going. 

• Like 1

1/ Don't know but a loose connection sounds probable

2/ DPF regeneration and totally normal.

3/ Again normal and seems to affect the same engine across the VAG range.

• Like 1

Re. 2.

I think it would be nice to have some dashboard indication when regeneration is occurring.

I note in the manual it warns of the danger of parking on flammable areas such as long grass when regeneration is going.

As you may only be aware AFTER you have stopped, you may get more than a smell in such circumstances, and find the need to go into panic mode.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies.

Think I can safely say 2 and 3 are normal as experienced by many of you and hopefully just a faulty connection on 1 as problem has not reoccurred since.

Thanks all.

UPDATE.

Car returned to dealer as headlight bulb failure showing again.

Let's see what they find this time

(1.4 Tsi DSG Octavia as loan car......suitably impressed)

UPDATE.

Car returned to dealer as headlight bulb failure showing again.

Let's see what they find this time

(1.4 Tsi DSG Octavia as loan car......suitably impressed)

Oddly I get this one intermittently too. But not often enough for me to take it back to the dealer (yet).

Edited by ColinEdinburgh
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear you're having problems already. Where have you taken it?

Or is it too early to divulge that info?

• Like 1

When I had a problem with one of my DRL bulbs failing twice, and early in the life of the car, they kept mine for several days to see if they could find a find a charging fault, and to see if it only occurred at certain times or if they could replicate it.

• Like 1

Funny you should mention about occurring at the same time Graham because it was normally happening first thing on the way to work when the vehicle was cold. They tried it first thing this morning and apparently it failed again. They are now going to fit a replacement

" igniter " and test in the morning again.

The garage in question is fairly local KBPhoto, giving them the benefit of the doubt so far but I gather that the Mk3 Octavia is a having headlight issues too.

It seems a fairly trivial problem but still expect it to be fixed ( eventually )......