Changed my gearbox oil today.

well mine was nearly that colour after the first  16K   (on a new box) smelled burnt    recon it's just too thin  --more than one way of skinning the emissions  /mileage cat

Interesting, it looks like something is wrong with your gearbox.

well mine was nearly that colour after the first  16K   (on a new box) smelled burnt    recon it's just too thin  --more than one way of skinning the emissions  /mileage cat

yep, that's why non-genuine manufacturers recommend 75W-90 for 6-gear gearbox.

AS I ALWAYS SAY - MANUFACTURERS ARE HERE TO MAKE MONEY NOT TO GIVE YOU A PRODUCT, WHICH LASTS FOREVER ;-)

• Like 1

So has anyone used the :: Fuchs Titan Sintofluid FE75W in there Octavia VRS ? Mine has the MQ250 6spd gearbox in, it seems to meet the VW spec.

How annoying. Nothing made me think "I need to change my gearbox oil", but I figured that at 65k I should. Now, after having it done, it's stuff and notchy. I have to be more forceful and deliberate to change gears, particularly into second. Have they used the wrong oil, or put too much or little in?

How annoying. Nothing made me think "I need to change my gearbox oil", but I figured that at 65k I should. Now, after having it done, it's stuff and notchy. I have to be more forceful and deliberate to change gears, particularly into second. Have they used the wrong oil, or put too much or little in?

was it done by a Skoda dealer? As non vag gear oil can also make the change notchy, especially when cold.

I don't believe in lifetime fill either, I've changed my gearbox oil too religiously my fabia vrs has 102000 miles on it and I've just had to get the gearbox bearings replaced at a cost of £425. Saying that there's no other problems it selects fine so I'm happy hopefully it'll last another 100000 miles

Sounds like they just put non vag gear box oil, just get the vag oil yourself and ask if they can replace it. Had similar experience myself using non vag gearbox oil as it makes the change sit when cold, and it was all fine again with the proper stuff.

• Like 1

As ive said a few times in this topic now,just use the correct genuine oil otherwise you will get the problems your having,i had the same using non genuine oil when i changed the oil on my mk1 vrs a few years ago hence me using genuine oil this time on my mk2 vrs..How much has the garage charged you for the gearbox oil? 

I paid nearly £50 just for the oil & that included a 10% discount for trade,id go back & ask them what gearbox oil they put in,sounds like they may have just put normal gear oil in. If thats £60 just for the labour to change it then they have robbed you,its a 15 minute job to replace it at the same time as a service on a ramp. 

If they are a half decent place then they should really change it for free,its not your fault they have used the wrong stuff,it depends on how much you have actually paid for the oil they supplied,you may have to pay the difference from the wrong stuff to the correct genuine stuff. 

Ok thanks. I'll ask them. What is the correct stuff so I can ask them what they used?

Part number & price for my car is on post 4,you will need to quote your reg no. of your car at your local dealer to get the correct oil.

• Like 2

Part number & price for my car is on post 4,you will need to quote your reg no. of your car at your local dealer to get the correct oil.

Thanks. What is the best way forward? Without trying to sound like a wimp, I'm not the best with confrontation, so when I ring and they inevitably argue that they've used the right stuff, how can I further it?  Drove the car again this morning (from cold) and it feels like it's driving with the handbrake half on.  MPG is down, performance is slightly down and the gear changes are clunky and stiff :/