General issues with electricity, oil consumption & mystery music

Hey all,

Been having some issues with my Skoda Superb recently since I purchased it. It's a second hand Skoda Superb (2010) 2.0 TDI 140hp DSG.

I've had some issues with the seller not providing information about bits and bobs before the purchase, such as the car managed to consume 3,5L Helix 10W-40 in 7 days..

I am aware of the severity of the issue, and processes to get it fixed by the seller or full refund has been started.

Meanwhile however, I've checked all over the car to see if I could locate where the oil might leak out, and I have not been successful in finding any leaks what so ever. The engine works like a charm and there is nothing wrong with the power of it either, but I do suspect that it might be disappearing through the turbo, any thoughts?

If you have any ideas or been witness to similar things, I'd love to hear your thoughts too.

Secondly, as of 2 days ago, I woke up to a sudden flat battery after the car standing still for about 2 days, also known as weekend.. :p  However, I did recharge enough to get it started, drove to work and put it to charge there as well. After I got home I did some checks with a motor-head friend, and we noticed that the voltage is top, but saw that the battery drains a steady 5mA, so no wonders it was dead over night the next day.

After doing some research on the electronics and what happens, I believe the stereo turns on somehow and drains all the power. By just connecting the battery I could notice the stereo/media-ROM started with it's usual ticking sound before it went quiet. I thought at first it was because I had left a USB-charger in the 12V ever since I bought it and the power just keps draining through that, but even though I removed it and got the battery fully charged, it still died overnight as mentioned.

If you have any ides as to where to look I'd gladly appreciate them, I am having the car in a Skoda service centre come tuesday, so I'll ask them to check it out if I don't find anything before then.

PS: Is it so that Skoda is delivered with a selection of songs on the HD? I do not have the Colombus/Satnav system, just the standard stereo with a CD/DVD-ROM and an AUX in the armrest box. Reason I am asking is because when the stereo turned on, it loaded "CD" media, whilist there are no CDs in the drive NOR anything hooked to the AUX, and started playing music. If you know of any way to remove or access this HD I'd gladly know how to. Spooky things.. :D

Alexander

Edited by Glitchbeat

Likely causes of oil consumption that heavy (other than just not checking for months):-

1. Badly worn bores, but car should be down on power and visibly blue smoking at all times.
  2. Worn turbo oil seals. Again, car should be blue smoking, but probably only under power.
  3. Worn valve stem oil seals. In this case, you should get puffs of blue smoke when starting, and when re-applying power after descending a hill on overrun.

Does your car have bluetooth? If so, do you posess a bluetooth MP3 player?

• Like 1

As far as im aware there is no hdd on anything other than the columbus.

I was lead to believe the same thing, I found no logical way for it to have one. However, the car does indeed load media from a folder somwhere. It starts loading the CD-media and then jumps to a folder location. I read somewhere that you could dump files from a data disk containing meda onto the HD, but I too didn't believe my system had one.

Likely causes of oil consumption that heavy (other than just not checking for months):-

1. Badly worn bores, but car should be down on power and visibly blue smoking at all times.
  2. Worn turbo oil seals. Again, car should be blue smoking, but probably only under power.
  3. Worn valve stem oil seals. In this case, you should get puffs of blue smoke when starting, and when re-applying power after descending a hill on overrun.

Does your car have bluetooth? If so, do you posess a bluetooth MP3 player?

The funny thing is that my car doesn't really produce any smoke what so ever. There is a tiny bit when I start the engine, but once it gets warm/driving there is none. As mentioned, there seems to me to reduction in power.

As for Bluetooth, yes, I have Bluetooth, but I am on the older module. I am not able to steam music to the stereo through Bluetooth until I buy a new module to fit under the passenger's seat. The phone connects and is working for phone calls, but at the time of this test, my phone's bluetooth was switched off as well.

I'd be more worried about the oil consumption, using 3.5 litres in a week is definitely not normal.

Yes, this is my biggest concern. The seller has proven to be garbage and not replying my calls, texts and such. Legal steps has been taken and he has 14 days to reply to my demands, otherwise the case will be overtaken my the Consumer Agency of Norway. I sincerely hope he doesn't neglect contacting me any further, having this go to court. Big hassle for me and greatly uncomfortable for him.

I was lead to believe the same thing, I found no logical way for it to have one. However, the car does indeed load media from a folder somwhere. It starts loading the CD-media and then jumps to a folder location. I read somewhere that you could dump files from a data disk containing meda onto the HD, but I too didn't believe my system had one.

The funny thing is that my car doesn't really produce any smoke what so ever. There is a tiny bit when I start the engine, but once it gets warm/driving there is none. As mentioned, there seems to be to reduction in power.

As for Bluetooth, yes, I have Bluetooth, but I am on the older module. I am not able to steam music to the stereo through Bluetooth until I buy a new module to fit under the passenger's seat. The phone connects and is working for phone calls, but at the time of this test, my phone's bluetooth was switched off as well.

Hmm, 3.5 liters is almost a full oil change, so that really is a major concern.  Lay some paper towels under the engine bay overnight.  I know that the engine tray won't let you see exactly where a leak is, but if you see oil drops on the paper then it will let you diagnose the problem further.  i.e. if there are no oil drops then it would point toward an internal leak of oil.

For the battery drain problem: try removing the fuse for the radio and see if the battery still loses charge overnight.  Someone else also posted about a battery drain problem - will try to find the thread for you...

EDIT: battery symptoms similar to yours.  Try PMing Danny57 and Mayor of Newark to see if they managed to resolve their frustrations:

Danny57: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/313458-flat-battery-or-not/?hl=%2Bdrain#entry3754144

Mayor of Newark: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/299762-battery-drain/page-2?hl=%2Bdrain#entry3684968

Edited by JakeBlade

Which radio is it?

Regarding the battery - are you sure, that the battery doesn't just need a replacement? 5mA will not drain the battery over night.

Hmm, 3.5 liters is almost a full oil change, so that really is a major concern.  Lay some paper towels under the engine bay overnight.  I know that the engine tray won't let you see exactly where a leak is, but if you see oil drops on the paper then it will let you diagnose the problem further.  i.e. if there are no oil drops then it would point toward an internal leak of oil.

3.5 litres will have the engine under tray dripping with oil, that amount of oil will go a long, long way around an engine bay.  If there's no sign of a leak there should be a fair bit of blue smoke from unburned oil from the exhaust.  That much oil will likely kill off the DPF and the exhaust catalyst too.  It'll also carbonise in the turbo, it really is bad news all round, IMHO.

Edited by Fred Bloggs

Which radio is it?

Regarding the battery - are you sure, that the battery doesn't just need a replacement? 5mA will not drain the battery over night.

Apologies, I was mistaken in my first post. It's a 5 amp steady discharge. This is a picture of the radio I got: http://i.imgur.com/JIEMu0J.jpg (avoided posting it on the board, it just ate the whole post and I don't have time to format)

For the battery drain problem: try removing the fuse for the radio and see if the battery still loses charge overnight.  Someone else also posted about a battery drain problem - will try to find the thread for you...

Thanks Jake for your reply. I did do this a little while back, having cardboard plates fitted under the car overnight, and there is no oil dripping what so ever. I am fairly certain it's a full internal leak, more specifically turbo I'm thinking. Thank you for providing the links to the threads regarding the battery drainage, I'll have a look at those and PM the guys you mentioned.

I did a check overnight to see if the battery would stop draining any less, which it did not. Tonight I am removing the fuses for the radio to see if it still occurs.

You say you recently bought it.  Have you checked all over for a CD changer?  Maybe under one of the seats?

There is a CD changer, but it's inside the middle console. See picture above to see which stereo I have.

3.5 litres will have the engine under tray dripping with oil, that amount of oil will go a long, long way around an engine bay.  If there's no sign of a leak there should be a fair bit of blue smoke from unburned oil from the exhaust.  That much oil will likely kill off the DPF and the exhaust catalyst too.  It'll also carbonise in the turbo, it really is bad news all round, IMHO.

For you Fred, and all others mentioning the oil. I am now (since the first fill of 3,5L 10W-40 Helix) gone over to a fully synthetic 5W-40 and the oil is lasting around 14 days, compared to 7. I have, since the purchase, noticed that the EML lamp has lit. Manuas says "Exhaust gas lamp", and I have some concerns that it is the catalysator.

Edited by Glitchbeat

The problem with deeply discharged batteries is that they will never recover properly - especially multiple discharges like you've had.  Once you've found the source of your battery drain, I would recommend getting a new battery anyway.  

If removing the radio fuse doesn't stop the drain, try disconnecting the battery to see if the battery itself is the "self-discharging": it might be so old/damaged that it's unable to hold a charge over more than a few hours.

5A is quite a leak - that's a load of about 60W?

Could the previous owner have installed a stand-alone amplifier or active subwoofer into the car that are not switching to standby?  They may have tapped it into the 12v socket line, which is permanently live.  Check under both front seats, the rear side compartments, and in the spare wheel well for additional audio equipment that may have been fitted.  Also check the fuse boxes for piggy-back fuses, and check the battery terminals to see if there is a piggy-back wire that has been run into there through the bulkhead.

The problem with deeply discharged batteries is that they will never recover properly - especially multiple discharges like you've had.  Once you've found the source of your battery drain, I would recommend getting a new battery anyway.  

If removing the radio fuse doesn't stop the drain, try disconnecting the battery to see if the battery itself is the "self-discharging": it might be so old/damaged that it's unable to hold a charge over more than a few hours.

5A is quite a leak - that's a load of about 60W?

Could the previous owner have installed a stand-alone amplifier or active subwoofer into the car that are not switching to standby?  They may have tapped it into the 12v socket line, which is permanently live.  Check under both front seats, the rear side compartments, and in the spare wheel well for additional audio equipment that may have been fitted.  Also check the fuse boxes for piggy-back fuses, and check the battery terminals to see if there is a piggy-back wire that has been run into there through the bulkhead.

Thanks Jake. Ehm, not completely sure about the wattage, but that sounds right-ish. As for extra audio fitting, the car itself is a previous taxi, so it has all services and such followed up. I find it unlikely that extra autio equipment would be fitted. I have also looked around, under seats and in the wheel well, unable to spot anything.

As I mentioned, I was concerned that the 12v USB charger I had plugged in was doing it, but it still occured after removing it. If removing the fuses tonight doesn't show to do the trick tomorrow morning, I'll just pull the battery and see if it actually is self-discharging. Or vice versa, I'll see what I have of time this evening.

Is it this light?

http://www.sinspeed.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/DPF-Warning-Light-VW-Audi-Seat-Skoda-Vag1.jpg

Then it´s your particle filter, that is getting clogged up. And that is most likely because of the heavy oil consumption.

A dead turbo is likely, if it´s a ex-taxi.

This issue with the oil,

VAG Dervs use oil sadly, I found I was putting 1L in per 1000 miles in my PD Passat,

Mine had a whine turbo also but the oil was an issue before that started, I never saw blue smoke out of mine and iirc VAG say 1L per 750 miles is within spec (nods head in wtf manner)

You should check the tandem pump on the side of the head, this fails and lets engine oil become fuel by cross contamination, a derv filter check is the best way, pull it out (it will be black) dump the fuel into a jar and look for seperation in the fuel, if the black and the gold fuel colour seperates it'll be the tandem for sure,

The engines are oil specific, you should be using a low ash 507 spec oil in any DPF VAG car,

Now if it has been an ex cab it's probable the meter wasn't de-com'd properly and you have a live perm feed still running that used to feed the meter, if the CD player isn't standard i.e a Sony etc your drain will be a can drain, an iso harness sorts that one out,

Other causes are accident damage that leaves boot lights etc on even when the car is locked,

I feel for you, it looks like you've bought a Fido tbh, it also looks like you may have bought a clocked car as well given the sort of faults it has, no car is perfect and a Skoda is generally quite a reliable car until it gets past 150K, some even stay good after that,

I don't know where you stand on the refund side of things, dealer doesn't appear to have any morales and as it's a second hand car it normally goes with the warts tbh.

Edited by Supurbia

Battery drain issues can be difficult to trace. On an old car of mine I had the same issue and I could not find it. Finally got an elecrical expert to look at it and it turned out to be the cut out switch on one of the electric window motors not tripping when window was fully raised.

Hi Glitchbeat,

My car twice had a flat battery. By disconnecting fuse F8 this stopped the discharge of between 3-5 amps, this does control the central unit radio etc. the dealer had the car for three days and the fault would not repeat its self though I did have the VW report which stated this event and clearly saw the discharge that then went to milliamps when the fuse was pulled.

At least I have had this recorded by Skoda UK.

Cause unknown though it is known by the VW recovery teams.

Sorry it is not a solution but good luck.

This issue with the oil,

VAG Dervs use oil sadly, I found I was putting 1L in per 1000 miles in my PD Passat,

Mine had a whine turbo also but the oil was an issue before that started, I never saw blue smoke out of mine and iirc VAG say 1L per 750 miles is within spec (nods head in wtf manner)

You should check the tandem pump on the side of the head, this fails and lets engine oil become fuel by cross contamination, a derv filter check is the best way, pull it out (it will be black) dump the fuel into a jar and look for seperation in the fuel, if the black and the gold fuel colour seperates it'll be the tandem for sure,

The engines are oil specific, you should be using a low ash 507 spec oil in any DPF VAG car,

Now if it has been an ex cab it's probable the meter wasn't de-com'd properly and you have a live perm feed still running that used to feed the meter, if the CD player isn't standard i.e a Sony etc your drain will be a can drain, an iso harness sorts that one out,

Other causes are accident damage that leaves boot lights etc on even when the car is locked,

I feel for you, it looks like you've bought a Fido tbh, it also looks like you may have bought a clocked car as well given the sort of faults it has, no car is perfect and a Skoda is generally quite a reliable car until it gets past 150K, some even stay good after that,

I don't know where you stand on the refund side of things, dealer doesn't appear to have any morales and as it's a second hand car it normally goes with the warts tbh.

You sure, there is a tandem pump on CR engines?

The VAG CRs shouldn't use anywhere near the PD oil consumption.

I'm afraid they do Jake, some ppl get lucky with both not using oil but generally they do and it has been known to stop once the car hits around 60k but not for me it didn't,

The tandem pump I'm not sure about now it's been mentioned, but worth checking as it is a chief suspect for lowering the oil level.

You may not believe this is possible but have you checked that the vanity light on the passenger visor has not been left on. A couple of days without charging particularly on an ageing battery can drain the battery. A friend of mine had this problem last month when his wife left it switched on. Jump started his car closed the visor mirror cover which turns off the light and all we'll now.

• Like 1

Hey all, thanks for your replies. I'll reply based on quotes. I apologise for not being able to reply for a few days, been rather busy with work and weekend events! :sun:

Is it this light?

http://www.sinspeed.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/DPF-Warning-Light-VW-Audi-Seat-Skoda-Vag1.jpg

Then it´s your particle filter, that is getting clogged up. And that is most likely because of the heavy oil consumption.

A dead turbo is likely, if it´s a ex-taxi.

No, this is the lamp that's lit: http://i.imgur.com/djjBGh8.jpg

Battery drain issues can be difficult to trace. On an old car of mine I had the same issue and I could not find it. Finally got an elecrical expert to look at it and it turned out to be the cut out switch on one of the electric window motors not tripping when window was fully raised.

Hi Glitchbeat,

My car twice had a flat battery. By disconnecting fuse F8 this stopped the discharge of between 3-5 amps, this does control the central unit radio etc. the dealer had the car for three days and the fault would not repeat its self though I did have the VW report which stated this event and clearly saw the discharge that then went to milliamps when the fuse was pulled.

At least I have had this recorded by Skoda UK.

Cause unknown though it is known by the VW recovery teams.

Sorry it is not a solution but good luck.

You may not believe this is possible but have you checked that the vanity light on the passenger visor has not been left on. A couple of days without charging particularly on an ageing battery can drain the battery. A friend of mine had this problem last month when his wife left it switched on. Jump started his car closed the visor mirror cover which turns off the light and all we'll now.

Thanks for your replies, Zee, Danny & Raptor.

@Raptor - I have not checked the visor light yet, no. I'll do that at my first convenience, thank you for the tip!

@Danny - Is the F8 fuse connected to the radio by any chance? I don't have the chart infront of me right now.

@Zee & thread update:

The car is in a Skoda garage today, having a 4-wheel check, engine lamp  & airbag lamp troubleshooting. Both of which are lit. (Check imgur image for reference)

I have noticed that since the battery started draining, I am unable to close the windows & retract the side mirrors from my remote, which I was previously able to do. I mentioned this to the service agent at the dealership, so they would have look. Is there a possibility that this could have to do with the battery being flat and the function programmed into the key/computer reset?

If they had time today, they would also preform a battery check, and maybe dive into the electrical issue, otherwise I would have to reschedule an appointment for that alone.

Update on the oil issue: I had a little drive the other day, and a friend of mine was driving behind me, and he called me right up to tell me that there was indeed some smoke coming out when I floored the pedal at lower speeds, which made us believe the issue is in the turbo. Also as mentioned by GaSelle. I specified this to the mechanic as well.