No AM Radio Signal!

Normally around the UK i get AM that can be listened to, just,

that is in different cars, recently AM has been so poor on 909 i have not been listening

& 1053 is only a little bit better.

?

So basically, is it the same for others, AM near at end of life in the UK.

Normally around the UK i get AM that can be listened to, just,

that is in different cars, recently AM has been so poor on 909 i have not been listening

& 1053 is only a little bit better.

?

So basically, is it the same for others, AM near at end of life in the UK.

Surely this isn't right - nobody can pickup 5 live on mw???

Never tried MW - got Radio4 on LW all the way to the German border last year though.  Got a bit patchy through southern Belgium but still managed to hear and understand "Sorry, I haven't a clue"..

Minimal,..worth checking online for any shutdowns/planned works.

Not sure where you are but Droitwich transmitter (effecting certain frequencies)is being switched off for repair/upgrade works on a regular basis and has been for a while.

Just a thought.

Link to full list of transmitters (I know it says TV but it includes all radio station outages as well):

http://www.ukfree.tv/reception_transmitters_index.php

Or your car antenna could be duff...try built in radio in your mobile as this uses the ear cable for radio reception, so if that is poor/non-existant too then your local transmitter could be off?

Edited by Defenderben

MiNiMaL_FuSS,  where are you located & trying to get reception on AM?

I thought it was '5 live' i was listening to on MW  909 or 693  & Talk Sport on 1053.

The other one i tune in is 810 MW for Radio Scotland on Saturdays.

(Because there are different programmes from the one i want on FM or Digital then)

My point was,

when ever i try AM/MW now, the reception has become very poor.

Location, location, location,  & reduced Power Output i thought not the Reciever Equipment.

george

As goneoffSki says, MW AM is poor and  needs a signal booster. Your car has one fitted at the base of the aerial. If you cannot get AM or MW then the booster has failed. You will only get FM. Water sometimes gets into the aerial booster, or it just fails. Replace and you should be able to listen again.

As goneoffSki says, MW AM is poor and  needs a signal booster. Your car has one fitted at the base of the aerial. If you cannot get AM or MW then the booster has failed. You will only get FM. Water sometimes gets into the aerial booster, or it just fails. Replace and you should be able to listen again.

Ah a helpful answer!

How do I go about replacing the aerial booster???

• 4 years later...