Briski cyclists?!

samj2013

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's my 4 bikes - been a club cyclist for over 50 years and still enjoy it, even in this weather! Use the Ribble and Brian Rourke in Summer and the Planet X is the Winter bike with lovely hydraulic discs. Trek MTB is for occasional use, often when out with the grandchildren

John M

Bike 1 Ribble Sportive.jpg

Bike 2 Brian Rourke.jpg

Bike 3 Planet X.jpg

Bike 4 Trek.jpg

• Like 1

Had my closest shave since a car cut across my path on the 11th January decades ago.

Then i was on a motorbike at about 5 pm and the driver never spotted me and took my right leg clean off.

Today in bright light, i was on a cycle lane in town passing the front of a filling station at 2.30 pm,

Hi-viz vest, helmet, front handlebar cover, 2 front flashing LED's and the dame on the other side of the road coming towards me going to cross the lane and cycle lane to go into the forecourt.

The accident report if one was needed would have raised a few eye brows if she had hit my artificial leg.

DSCN3621.JPG

DSCN3634.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/01/2018 at 16:04, millerhouse said:

Here's my 4 bikes - been a club cyclist for over 50 years and still enjoy it, even in this weather! Use the Ribble and Brian Rourke in Summer and the Planet X is the Winter bike with lovely hydraulic discs. Trek MTB is for occasional use, often when out with the grandchildren

John M

Bike 3 Planet X.jpg

Your London Road looks very tidy in zesty lime, I have one for commuting and I absolutely love it, mine is in 'Dragon Blue' as they'd sold out of the Zesty Lime when I bought it.  I opted for Crud Roadracer 3 mudguards though after what seemed like an eternity trying to fit proper guards!

On 26/01/2018 at 16:03, edwards said:

Ooh nice. Discs are the way forward....

This is my new toy, a Kinesis GF Ti disc. Dura ace levers and Hope calipers mean it stops surprisingly well! I'm mid way through building up a Genesis Croix-de-fer 725 frame as a do-all bike with Shimano discs so you could say I am a convert!

What made you choose the Hope RX4-SH calipers over the Shimano Flat Mount Calipers? I run the RS805's on my road bike (Kinesis 4s disc) and the RS685's on my cx bike (Kinesis 5t disc).  I have toyed with the idea of the Hope's on my  CX, for no other reason that I want to try them & they look cool.

21 minutes ago, DarkPeakCycles said:

What made you choose the Hope RX4-SH calipers over the Shimano Flat Mount Calipers? I run the RS805's on my road bike (Kinesis 4s disc) and the RS685's on my cx bike (Kinesis 5t disc).  I have toyed with the idea of the Hope's on my  CX, for no other reason that I want to try them & they look cool.

I've got an 805/785 combo on my Equilbrium (its a weird bike, post mount fork and flat mount frame) and they are plenty good enough to be honest, especially with the ice-tec discs (not the 'freeza' finned ones, thats just silly...). Even the HY/RD cable/hydraulic hybrids I have on the Charge Plug are actually pretty good. The Crox-de-Fer I am currently building up I went with 785s fore and aft as that is still an IS mount frame and fork.

I'll be honest, at least some of going for the Hopes was precisely because I wanted to try them and they look cool!  When I was spec-ing 'dream bike' the guy offered the Hope ones as an alternative and I was taken by the bigger pads and the 4-pot design enough to justify the small extra cost. In use I'd say the ultimate stopping power is similar (and frequently limited by tyre grip anyway) but they seem as if there is more progressive braking through the lever throw than with the Shimano calipers. The other thing I like about the Hope ones is you can buy each part as spares and new seals etc, whereas the shimano ones can be a bit 'disposable' if you do break something like a piston, although I guess they are about £35 a caliper if you shop around so not a total disaster.

Sounds like you are a bit of a Kinesis fan! The GF Ti is my first, hoping it will live up to my expectations. So far the signs are good :-)

3 hours ago, edwards said:

I've got an 805/785 combo on my Equilbrium (its a weird bike, post mount fork and flat mount frame) and they are plenty good enough to be honest, especially with the ice-tec discs (not the 'freeza' finned ones, thats just silly...). Even the HY/RD cable/hydraulic hybrids I have on the Charge Plug are actually pretty good. The Crox-de-Fer I am currently building up I went with 785s fore and aft as that is still an IS mount frame and fork.

I'll be honest, at least some of going for the Hopes was precisely because I wanted to try them and they look cool!  When I was spec-ing 'dream bike' the guy offered the Hope ones as an alternative and I was taken by the bigger pads and the 4-pot design enough to justify the small extra cost. In use I'd say the ultimate stopping power is similar (and frequently limited by tyre grip anyway) but they seem as if there is more progressive braking through the lever throw than with the Shimano calipers. The other thing I like about the Hope ones is you can buy each part as spares and new seals etc, whereas the shimano ones can be a bit 'disposable' if you do break something like a piston, although I guess they are about £35 a caliper if you shop around so not a total disaster.

Sounds like you are a bit of a Kinesis fan! The GF Ti is my first, hoping it will live up to my expectations. So far the signs are good :-)

I use 140mm Freeza on my road bike, coupled with the 805 caliper / 685 shifters, they are awesome, tyre grip is very much a big factor but easily controllable.

I will probably try some Hope's on my cx bike at some point (I have another couple of set's of shimano brake pads to wear out 1st).  My CX uses the Ice Tech rotors but I run 160mm on it.  My 5t is used for everything winter/commuting/touring/cross country and has a lot to live up to following on from my old Cube.  I'm a Cube fan at heart, it was uncle who recommended the Kinesis road bike and it is a fantastic bike to ride.  When my Cube CX was stolen last year I felt I needed a break from Cube so bought the 5t.  I'm still tinkering to get it how I want it, just waiting for some spokes to arrive so I can build my multi-purpose wheels which should transform how it rides.

Being honest, I'm not sure I would buy another Kinesis.  They are lovely bikes to ride but both have such soft paint they get scratched & paint chips really easily, for what the frame sets cost I expected better.

I'm running 160mm ice-tec on all my bikes. I was a bit tougue-in-cheek about the Freeza ones as they remind me of a weapon from a Flash Gordon film! I don't do lots of long descents so heat build up has never been a real problem.

I'm a steel frame man really - I've a Charge Plug 3 which is Tange infinity and although not light, rides nicely, and a couple of Genesis bikes, Equilibrium 725 and a Croix-de-fer 725 'in the works'.

The Kinesis was a departure as I wanted something lighter but with a 'steel-feel' as a bit of a 'Sportive' machine. I'd have stayed with Genesis but the Croix Ti was a bit too CX, and the Volaire stainless was a bit too race! The Kinesis is pretty much what I wanted and is really nice to ride. I don't have to worry about the paint though, as it hasn't got any!

Edited by edwards

2 hours ago, edwards said:

I'm running 160mm ice-tec on all my bikes. I was a bit tougue-in-cheek about the Freeza ones as they remind me of a weapon from a Flash Gordon film! I don't do lots of long descents so heat build up has never been a real problem.

I'm a steel frame man really - I've a Charge Plug 3 which is Tange infinity and although not light, rides nicely, and a couple of Genesis bikes, Equilibrium 725 and a Croix-de-fer 725 'in the works'.

The Kinesis was a departure as I wanted something lighter but with a 'steel-feel' as a bit of a 'Sportive' machine. I'd have stayed with Genesis but the Croix Ti was a bit too CX, and the Volaire stainless was a bit too race! The Kinesis is pretty much what I wanted and is really nice to ride. I don't have to worry about the paint though, as it hasn't got any!

I'm also a steel frame man and like my Genesis.. I have a 2015 Day-one and then had a Croix de Fer in 725 Reynolds.. swapped it out for a slightly more racey 853 tubed Holdsworth Elan (it has 1 x 11 sram force with hydro brakes :-) .. it was a prototype made by planet x but never put into production.. Also bought a 1986 Holdsworth Challenger GT with 501 tubing and converted to single speed.

PS.. brother has a 931 Volare and it's a tasty piece of kit..

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, technics100 said:

I'm also a steel frame man and like my Genesis.. I have a 2015 Day-one and then had a Croix de Fer in 725 Reynolds.. swapped it out for a slightly more racey 853 tubed Holdsworth Elan (it has 1 x 11 sram force with hydro brakes :-) .. it was a prototype made by planet x but never put into production.. Also bought a 1986 Holdsworth Challenger GT with 501 tubing and converted to single speed.

PS.. brother has a 931 Volare and it's a tasty piece of kit..

My CDF will end up with Ultegra 8000 mechs, 105 hydro levers and brakes and some nice Shimano wheels. I'm building it up myself as none of the stock ones had everything I wanted fitted. Pressed the headset in and fitted the BB yesterday, hoping to have it together by the weekend if I can.

I guess PX have the rights to the Holdsworth name now?  

• Like 1

On 29/01/2018 at 16:58, edwards said:

My CDF will end up with Ultegra 8000 mechs, 105 hydro levers and brakes and some nice Shimano wheels. I'm building it up myself as none of the stock ones had everything I wanted fitted. Pressed the headset in and fitted the BB yesterday, hoping to have it together by the weekend if I can.

I guess PX have the rights to the Holdsworth name now?  

Yeah they must do.. Here is my winter holdsworth.. and my single speed one..

20171105_holdsworth-5632-1.jpg

20180107_holdsworth-0471-1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 31/01/2018 at 10:34, edwards said:

oooh nice. The Elan looks good, the 1x  looks like a good setup. How do you find the vision wheels? are they metrons?

The Elan is smart and I essentially have the frame same in 853 with a carbon fork which I use in the summer.  I just swap the running gear over, it only takes about an hour as I have headset and BB in place.. brakes are no hassle as they are hydro, so just 5mm allen key and away we go.  

The Vision 30's aren't bad although you do notice the weight (2.1kg), but do ride well once up to speed. I have actually just changed to a set of Halo Devaura disc 6d (1720g), just for the weight reduction and also to run them tubeless.. I took 620g out of the wheels and tyres, so it should make it a bit easier up the hills..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Don't think I've posted in this thread before. Here are my two and a half bikes:

Cube.thumb.jpg.d3749d777f97295e66269fb9e45445ca.jpg

merlin.thumb.JPG.60e35e68b15c93bdfb1c140b4c1caffa.JPG

unicycle.thumb.jpg.b2868072602939d801d8d1cd29a04a9d.jpg

I haven't actually ridden the unicycle. I got it off Gumtree for about £20 but I can't get the wheel out of the frame to replace the wheel/tyre.

The MTB is coming up to 10 years old and has 26" wheels so I'm thinking of going for a 29er hardtail next.
The road bike I got at the end of 2016 and it's a 2015 model Cube Peloton SL. Hoping to get back out on it once it warms up a little!

I'm starting a new job soon and thinking of getting something second hand for around £100 that I can use for commuting part of the way.

Edited by vrsTom

• 2 weeks later...

Currently out of action with a fractured foot :( been 6 weeks now and it's driving me insane! 

The lapierre has been swapped for a cube stereo hpa 160, not quite as many good bits on it as I put on the lapierre but it's a good base and I always wanted more travel and to try 27.5" wheels. 

It's got 160mm travel pikes and 160mm kashima coated fox rear. I've put a few hope red bits on it and converted it to 1x11 with a hope 34t narrow wide oval chainring, 11-42 rear. New charge spoon seat after having one on the lapierre.

I liked the funn stem on the lap that much I've opted for a 35mm length and 35mm width on this one (actually won it in a CRC comp :)) and I'm awaiting some raceface next carbon bars. 

Brakes, dropper post and other bits will be sorted once I'm back out and riding again.

hopefully get the all clear from the clinic on the 28th and have it all built back up so I can get straight back out.

20180315_164731.jpg

Edited by SNH

• 2 weeks later...