Briski cyclists?!

samj2013

• 2 weeks later...

@skomaz Is a traditional Adult Trike not suitable?

When i first lost my leg and before having an artificial leg i rode a Pashley Trike which was very heavy.

Recently i have seen people with more modern versions that are a lot lighter and where folding with quick release rear wheels.

This kind of ones.     (Bottom, side by side pedal assist electric trike available to hire at Girvan Sea Front. I posted more in the Electric Bike thread.)

Screenshot 2021-06-23 at 13.25.27.jpg

Screenshot 2021-06-23 at 13.25.15.jpg

Screenshot 2021-06-23 at 13.25.37.jpg

Screenshot 2021-06-23 at 13.25.52.jpg

DSCI0017.JPG.0c2ed8199ea45bd415a1ddcc86492ad4.jpeg

Edited by e-Roottoot

7 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

@skomaz Is a traditional Adult Trike not suitable?

When i first lost my leg and before having an artificial leg i rode a Pashley Trike which was very heavy.

Recently i have seen people with more modern versions that are a lot lighter and where folding with quick release rear wheels.

This kind of ones.     (Bottom, side by side pedal assist electric trike available to hire at Girvan Sea Front. I posted more in the Electric Bike thread.)

Screenshot 2021-06-23 at 13.25.27.jpg

Screenshot 2021-06-23 at 13.25.15.jpg

Screenshot 2021-06-23 at 13.25.37.jpg

Screenshot 2021-06-23 at 13.25.52.jpg

DSCI0017.JPG.0c2ed8199ea45bd415a1ddcc86492ad4.jpeg

Hi George.  We've tried the Pashley style ones previously on the Monsal Trail and she's found them too unstable, top heavy and easy to fall off, especially with a normal saddle.  The advantage with the recumbents is they have a much lower centre of gravity so are inherently more stable and more difficult to overturn.  Also, given they have a proper 'chair' type seat she can have a harness to hold her onto the seat and stop her and the bike parting company.

It was a good suggestion though all the same.

In terms of the side by side bottom picture we've also considered those and the occpational therapist has suggested trying them but figured a trike would give her a bit more feeling of independence, although one of us will always need to be cycling alongside just in case...

• Like 3

I did a good long ride this morning near home (before it got really hot or rainy)

and the temp up in the 20's is much more noticeable than when riding near the coast where it might be hotter but with a sea breeze.

Pretty empty roads with no tractors or any other cyclists about and only the very odd car or van.

Plenty dry tracks about for now.

DSCN6226.JPG

DSCN6237.JPG

DSCN6238.JPG

DSCN6240.JPG

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 4

given i now have a decent bike, i think i can post in this thread sometimes too :D

20210705_070433.thumb.jpg.e99ef08625d6ffb1840d4016609e8eb8.jpg

maiden voyage of my first proper off road bike

And so it begins..

just did my first mods - mudguards.

funnily enough a constant spray of atomising grass, rain, mud, stone chips, sheep and rabbit ****e into my face this morning made things feel more uncomfortable than the rain already was.

so, a phone call to the local bike shop was made and i called in this afternoon. 

20210707_215634.thumb.jpg.e215e3262962b1fbb77606298cbf3e4b.jpg

20210707_215648.thumb.jpg.4508ef8817c782c49aed59d9f72f1e4d.jpg

20210707_220056.thumb.jpg.af2b025d55875314e3983abd5c049a0c.jpg

the post-mounted one isnt fully attached, need to knot the o rings to tighten them up, and make sure im happy with the position first, and that it isnt going to slide around the place on the frame. 

also got 2 Presta - Shrader adapters. given im guaranteed to lose one of them!

if i get a chance tomorrow im going to look at the derailleur adjustment, get that little 11tooth back in the game properly.

So as I'm on an a lay off the bike period it's time to give the oily bits a once over. 

Pedals re-greased, chain soaking in a cleaning bath overnight then an oil soak tomorrow. Front wheel out, bearings checked but still running clean and no play so its back in. 

Cassette off the freehub for a clean and I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be in this many parts 🤔

It appears the tiny torx bolt was loose that keeps the middle 4 attached to the larger Web, hopefully I can put it together. 

Derailleur and front ring cleaning tomorrow and rear brake bleed

IMG_20210712_193152.jpg

eek.. when i saw the pic first i thought "hes brave strippin the cassette to clean it, or else hes done it several timea

hopefully it will go back on short term...

new cassette ordered, from Italy i think?,    so i have one if needed, new chain to go with it being picked up tomorrow from Halfords......as cheap as online from elsewhere and in stock locally

• Like 1

Don't worry, the freehub splines and lockring are all that's needed to hold it together. The little bolt just makes assembly easier.

Spotted in Dundee today. 

It looked to me like George Berwick was one of the riders but if it was he must be in his 90's now & i never got a chance to talk to him.

He held records in Scotland for decades to miles ridden in 12 hours, 24 hours & the likes of the Snow Road 300.

He was a founder of the Rough Stuff Fellowship back in the 1950's. 

DSCN0002.JPG

• Like 1

yeh, i realised that later :)

it was just the shock of it falling apart, all back together now ater cleaning the remaining oily bits.

i need to re-bleed the back brake sometime soon, front was OK but rear still spongey and no bite when on the bike

Built by George Longstaff. 

I had a 2nd hand Longstaff bike about 30 years ago and it was very expensive then and it was stolen from me. 

http://longstaffcycles.com

Dundee is so busy with Cyclists these days.

http://greenhealth.scot/morecycling

https://www.anguscyclehub.org/dundee-cycle-hub

http://sustran.org.uk/find-other-routes/salmon-run

http://komoot.com/guide/20994/cycling-around-dundee

Edited by e-Roottoot

I've been having a brief break from the bike as I've been feeling really flat after my second vaccination and surprised how much I feel like something is missing in my life.   I'm looking forward to getting back on the MTB and taking advantage of the bone dry super fast trails.  I had been deliberating whether to pay for Strava or not because I'm actually finding it a lot better not being able to see the leaderboards because I don't bother now trying to beat my times and enjoy the ride instead.  Which has resulted in faster times and was surprised to get a PB (and 6th overall) on one of my favourite segments that I spent a while improving on but haven't been near that time in a while and I'd long given up trying to beat it.

Very much a bike for good conditions but my absolute favourite to ride:

spacer.png

I'm definitely feeling in the mood for an event for a change but with many cancelled I'm not sure what's even likely to run.  I decided to for a late night loop of Loch Ness on my own instead since I'd done that last year when the roads are quiet and it worked out well but I was around a third of the way round and just about to leave mobile reception and start climbing when someone texted me to say the road was closed for the last third and it was a lengthy diversion.  I was disappointed I had to abandon the ride but that was a big relief as I'd not be happy to find I had a two to three hour diversion at 1am:

spacer.png

Edited by JohnMcL7
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

@JohnMcL7 is that a Roscoe or a Marlin MTB?

No, it's the older and bigger Stache which runs 29+ rather than 27.5+:

spacer.png

Trek have now discontinued it as the market has moved away from the bigger 29+ and the Roscoe has been a lot more popular but I love the big wheels and wide rims as well as the short back end and slack front, I've had the bike a few years now and never ridden anything else I found  better.  I would like to try a Full Stache out of interest but I went to a rigid after full suspension and liked the feel of it so the hardtail is a good compromise.

• Like 1

yeah, id been looking at getting a Roscoe 7, but the utter lack of any stock anywhere was wearing me down. 

bought a 2nd hand Vitus Sentier 27 VR instead 2 weeks ago as i couldnt stay on the 30yr old rigid any more. god love it was going getting me killed.

really happy with the VR, needed a little bit of adjusting to dial it in just right for me, and i think i have it now. its performing brilliantly on my morning routes. hopefully when the younger son is a bit older ill be able to get the occasional day trip to do some longer proper trails :)

• Like 1