Columbus in Superb - update by SD card?

I'm a new boy to the website, sorry if I should have found this subject elsewhere.

Can I update the Columbus system in my 2014 Superb using an SD card?  I found paperwork on the Skoda website (http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/experience/service/maps-updating), but the process doesn't work, it seems to relate to Octavia Columbus only.  Is there a difference between the Columbus system in the Octavia and that in the Superb?  If so, and the Octavia system is better than the Superb's, this seems strange.  Is it possible to install the Octavia system into the Superb?  The reason I'm asking this last question is that there is a fault in the radio bit of the unit, so it my be getting replaced under warranty anyway. 

I think the Superb system updates from DVD

Yes, it does, but DVDs are infrequent and expensive - £180?  As I understand it, the downloadable updates are twice yearly and free.  Incidentally Stuart, your new car sounds identical to mine, including colour.

The latest Octavia has a different Columbus Unit. The normal Columbus ( my 2014 FL Superb Estate L&K still had the normal Columbus) is updated from a DVD or can be updated by your dealer.

Only the new system (the Columbus replacement) in the Octavia III can be updated that website.

That being said, it *is* possible to update the maps on the old Columbus/VW RNS 510 systems......don't ask me how, but these guys can;

RNS510 2014 kaartmateriaal nu ook updatebaar via SD-kaart.
Veel oudere versies van de RNS510 hebben moeite met het lezen van de Dual-layer-DVD update 2014 vanwege versleten of vervuilde laser. Normale DVD's zijn dan vaak geen probleem. Als alternatief kunnen we de 2014 kaart nu inladen via de SD-kaart-lezer, zodat een dure reparatie van de DVD-laser niet nodig is.

Kosten 69,- euro incl btw, hierbij wordt zowel de firmware als het kaartmateriaal geupdate.

Basically they say it's possible to update the RNS510 to the lastest 2014 maps using the SD card. "Lots of older RNS510 versions have issues reading the Dual-Layer DVD because the laser is old or dirty. As an alternative we offer the 2014 map using the SD-card reader, negating the need for an expensive repair of the DVD-Laser. Costs are 69€'s, this includes both the firmware and the map.

Basically MikeWM there are a couple of different Columbus satnavs, the newer ones are often known as 'MIB Columbus's' as they are made by a different manufacturer.

These new MIB Columbus's are upgradeable using an SD or SDHC card.

However, most of us on these forums have the older models which are only upgradeable using CDs or DVDs.

There is a wealth of info on how to do that on this and the 'In Car Entertainment (ICE) and Security' forum at http://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/7-in-car-entertainment-ice-and-security/

The first thing you should do is to find out what code levels you have by pressing the Setup button for about ten seconds to reveal the 'Version Info'. 

Good Luck.

Basically MikeWM there are a couple of different Columbus satnavs, the newer ones are often known as 'MIB Columbus's' as they are made by a different manufacturer.

These new MIB Columbus's are upgradeable using an SD or SDHC card.

However, most of us on these forums have the older models which are only upgradeable using CDs or DVDs.

There is a wealth of info on how to do that on this and the 'In Car Entertainment (ICE) and Security' forum at http://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/7-in-car-entertainment-ice-and-security/

The first thing you should do is to find out what code levels you have by pressing the Setup button for about ten seconds to reveal the 'Version Info'. 

Good Luck.

Here is the info from pressing the Setup button:

Delivery Part No   3T0035686H

HW-Version   H23

SW-Version   6270

Active Map Coverage   West Europe

Active Map Supplier   Navteq

Map Version HDD   7918

Does that clarify?

If I have the old system, can it be upgraded to the new?

the older models which are only upgradeable using CDs or DVDs.

Please read my post above, the older Columbus/RNS510 models can also be upgraded using the SD card...you just need to know how.

MikeWM your Software version is 6270, your map is 7918. The newest V10 map is 8048, so your map is old. Your software version is ok, I am not sure if a higher version gives more functionality but I wouldn't bother personally. Try to find a member locally with the V10 West-Europe maps, and give him a tenner to borrow his DVD for an hour or 2.

Thanks to those who have taken the trouble to respond, I'm now much clearer, although still disappointed that my brand new top of the range car has an "old" satnav unit.

As I said in my original post, the unit may be replaced under warranty this Thursday, I'll try to persuade the dealer to install V10 at the same time, if it's not already in.  Otherwise, would anyone in the Edinburgh area who has V10 like to get in touch?!......

Don't think I would fancy trying to upgrade using an SD card while the car is under warranty, but it's definitely something for the future.

I'll let you know how I get on when the car comes back from the dealer.

For such a new car (when did you get it?) I would definately insist on the latest maps. V10 has been available a couple of months now.

It was first registered on 30.4.14 as a demonstrator.  I bought it on 1.6.14, and the dealer said they didn't have V10 yet

I installed v10 (8048) maps over Christmas so someone is being economical with the truth. 

Anyway, they should upgrade them for you for free as a goodwill gesture - ask them if they want your service business in the future.

The problem with my unit is a faulty multiplug, to be replaced under warranty.  They will also upgrade the satnav to V10, and no cost was mentioned, so I assume it's free!

Are there varying policies amongst the dealers with regard to updates?  One dealer told me they routinely update to the latest version as part of their service procedure (but they didn't know that V10 had been issued!).  Another told me it's not a service item, the disc is a parts dept supply, cost £150+

I have also now been told that the Columbus unit in the Octavia is completely different to the one in the Superb.  Apparently the same applies to the Amundsen unit in different models.  You would have thought they would have given them different names to avoid confusion!  Perhaps they only know the names of 2 explorers!

Definately check if the new unit has the V10 maps, and I wouldn't pay a dime. It's true not many dealers offer upgrades for free...I would try to get the maps updated with the service, but not many will comply I think. They might update, but not give you a DVD. The DVD itself is a store item and is indeed that expensive.

The satnav versions are a bit confusing, that is true.

VW RNS 310 is the Skoda Amundsen.

VW RNS 315 is the Skoda Amundsen +.

VW RNS 510 is the Skoda Columbus.

VW RNS 810/850 are the VW Phaeton's systems. These have no Skoda version.

Now with the appearance of the new MQB-based cars, there are new satnavs out.

VW Discover Navigation is the replacement of the RNS 315. Still called Amundsen +

VW Discover Nav Pro is the replacement of the RNS 510. Still called Columbus.

I won't even go into the radio systems, like the RCD's or Bolero/Swing for Skoda...

About these new systems, VW sais;

Discover Navigation and Discover Navigation Pro touch-screen navigation/radio systems include navigation software updates for a period of 3 years from new.

So you can seemingly use THIS website to update if you have a new Discover system, but only for 3 years...how they will check this, I do not know.

I have had a couple of Golf VII over for VCDS tweaks, one of them had the Discover Nav Pro system. It looks nice (map looked nicer), but the touchscreen responsiveness was not good in my view. The 'caroussel' that allows you to swipe between radio, nav, settings, etc, responded very erratic.

Edited by Too Tall