New Octavia with incorrect tow bar wiring loom?

I have just taken delivery of my new octavia and after parting with the cash, the dealer dropped the bombshell that there was an issue with the tow bar electrics.

(A tow bar on the octavia is by any third part tow bar fitters a very expensive option to have)

They said the dealer fit tow bar module they ordered is not compatible with the wiring loom that is fitted to the vehicle! The explanation was the tow bar module has been upgraded and will physically not fit the plug on the end of the tow bar loom. An new loom and module are available but that would require removing the existing one and fitting the new one and that involves removing the majority of the panels down the LHS of the car to route the new cable loom to the engine bay.

First. This is a brand new car that I have waited nearly ten weeks for and the QC seems to have failed drastically.

If Skoda know the supplier for the tow bar module has changed, along with the interface connections, why are they still fitting old looms?

Second. If I agree to the dealership retrofitting the new loom, which is looking like the only solution as they can't obtain an older tow bar module, will the car remain as good as new with all the disruption to the interior.

How do I stand about rejecting the car on the basis that it is currently not fit for purpose because without tow bar electrics I cannot drive legally whilst towing my trailer or use the tow bar mounted cycle rack. The tow bar prep was specified when my order was placed. I am still waiting for a resolution from the dealer as how this will progress as they are waiting on Skoda tech support. I phoned Skoda UK customer services and they said the issues is with the dealer.

What should be a great experience of owning a new Skoda has now been marred forever!

reject the car altogether. Rattles on a new car are annoying enough but if panels are removed to fit a new loom rattles will be endless.

I wouldn't want panels removed on a new car, that is the whole idea of the towbar prep - that the wiring is in from the factory.

There must be a solution to this - at the end of the day it is just an electrical plug and pins can be removed and reinserted into the correct shape plug. Give Skoda technical a few days to scratch their heads and I am sure they will come up with a solution. I would ask them to escalate to the factory sooner rather than later, they come back pretty quickly with solutions.

• Like 2

It would be the logical step to take - make the towbar kit fit the car.

My other thought on this matter is that the towbar prep was missed off the order and the dealer is now trying to retro fit the loom and say that it was incorrectly specified from the factory. However, that would be suggesting they are lying and brings up a whole load of other issues!

Unfortunately, they have the car at the moment and so I can't check the build sticker in the handbook or in the boot. Looking around this forum, I think the build code is 1D2 for detachable towbar and 1D0 for without one.

The dealer should be giving an answer today on how things are going to proceed.

Unfortunately, they have the car at the moment and so I can't check the build sticker in the handbook or in the boot. Looking around this forum, I think the build code is 1D2 for detachable towbar and 1D0 for without one.

Ask your dealer for a printout of the Vehicle data for your car. This lists VIN, model year, sales model, production date and more, plus all the Pr numbers (option codes and descriptions) relevant to your car. There are 192 Pr numbers listed for my Octavia II of which only 46 are shown on the Vehicle Data stickers.

Ignorance is Bliss!

I didn't waste my money with towbar prep (you'll still need to pay for a loom, get it coded, etc - all it does is move the socket to the boot) and went with the full loom, all fitted on delivery to the dealers. No rattles, no problems.

Sure to fit it they must have removed trim to get to the socket under the dash, but I just don't think about it!

I'm sure that swapping looms will be fine.

Niall

Ignorance is Bliss!I didn't waste my money with towbar prep (you'll still need to pay for a loom, get it coded, etc - all it does is move the socket to the boot) and went with the full loom, all fitted on delivery to the dealers. No rattles, no problems.Sure to fit it they must have removed trim to get to the socket under the dash, but I just don't think about it!I'm sure that swapping looms will be fine.Niall

The dealer just went ahead and fitted the loom that runs down the LHS from behind the glove box to the boot. Unfortunately, they didn't bother to remove the old loom and it appears just laid the new one where they could. Let's hope they is no chafing a few years down the line because it has been routed incorrectly and not had any loom tape applied. I have stated that the towbar prep was a complete waste of money and demanded a refund.

However, after carrying out a few tests with a lighting board, the alarm fails to trigger with the car locked and pulling the connection off. The system seems to detect the presence of a towbar connection as the rear parking sensors are disabled (have the park assist) and the infotainment screen changes to show an image of a trailer attached to the car. Bulb failure works ok as I simulated it by removing the odd bulb. I don't have a rear fog light on the lighting board so the car's fog light came on. Perhaps if it detects a fog light in circuit, it switches off the car's fog. As for whether it works with the stability control etc who knows. I also found out that the Skoda wiring does not include the charging circuit. This was not mentioned at the time of sale and I will be perusing why the Octavia is listed as a tow car and won't supply the charging connection for a caravan! No doubt this topic has been discussed many times.

I will be discussing the alarm failure to trigger with them on Monday along with refunds etc. perhaps they have introduced a new problem.

The top and bottom of it is that I should not be having conversations with them about the towbar, as all should have been delivered as specified. Knowing the dealer staff by their first names is not usually a good sign.

Unfortunately you won't get the split charging wiring with the tow bar electrics unless you specifically ask for it as it is a separate loom coming from a high amp supply at the front of the car, usually relay controlled off the battery or supply from it.  Even if you get tow bar prep from the factory, any fitter will have to take the trim out of the interior in order to put the split charging wiring in.

Ian

Is the Octavia a car worth getting with towbar prep then? It seems a lot of faffing about for something that should be fairly simple to fit at the factory. I don't understand why you cant get the towbar fitted at the factory.

I took the car into the dealer this afternoon to get them to look at why the alarm is not triggered when the towbar electrical connector is disconnected. Unfortunately, their first reaction was to say, where in the handbook does it state that. Page 58 I said. They took it into the workshop and probably attempted a reprogram. After an hour or so of waiting, they couldn't identify the problem and said they will have to obtain advice from Skoda tech support. Oh well the saga continues. The after sales chap at the dealer said I will be getting a phone call from Skoda CS tomorrow about why things are going wrong and to discuss either some form of compensation or a partial refund for the towbar. Along with the towbar and the booming noise in the cabin, separate hot thread on this forum, I am beginning to have regrets about buying into the brand. I have informed the dealer about the booming noise in the cabin but that will be dealt with separately. I really hope there is a solution as it's like driving around with the rear windows down a bit!

There is a solution - drive round with the tailgate wide open, or even better remove it completely. That will stop the booming noise. Then you don't need a towbar either as you can pile up loads of stuff in the back, much more than before. It is like having a trailer built in! Both problems solved for you and all for free!

Seriously though, you need to log the call with Skoda UK yourself, don't wait for the dealer to do it. Call 08457 745 745 option 4. Get it logged about the booming noise and the fact that the towbar prep has been messed up.

• Like 1

Further to the dealer fitting a retrofit towbar kit and the alarm not working when the towbar electrical connector is removed, I have now discoverd the trailer stability control TSP does not activate. The indication is shown by the ESP active light staying lit for about 2 seconds after the ABS light goes out when the ignition is turned on (reference in handbook). With a lighting board connected, on my car, both go out simultaneously suggesting the TSP is not active! I also spoke with tech support at Westfalia and found out exactly how the system should work. I took the car back to the dealer today and told them what I have discovered and that basically with a trailer connected it is not possible to predict how the ESP will function if it defaults to driving parameters that are set without a trailer. It is also very obvious that the dealer failed to test the towbar electrics and system integration properly!

This will be their third attempt to deliver my car as I specified at the time of order. There are only so many attempts to sort the tow bar electrics out before I have a case for handing it back. I have a case logged with Skoda UK about this issue and the booming noise. I have owned the car since 25/05/14 and 4 of those days the car has been at the dealer. Great start to Skoda ownership!

You too are finding that the dealer knowledge of the new MQB platform is variable - some know it well, some not at all!

Are you sure the towbar prep was fitted at the factory? I thought if it was, all the coding was supposed to have been done already as the towing control module is fitted - it jst needs a short loom from that to the socket and you should be good to go.

I asked Skoda CS and the build code for towbar prep is PKZ, which is on my car.

The issue is that Skoda are fitting an updated wiring loom that has a different style connector on one of the two connectors that mate with the towbar module. I spoke to Westfalia UK tech support and they are aware of this recent issue but as yet don't have an updated towbar module! Wesfalia are the exclusive supplier of towbar solutions for VAG.  The towbar kits that are supplied to the dealers will not physically connect the towbar module to the new style plug on the factory fit wiring loom. Thier solution is to disconnect the factory loom and install the loom that came with the Westfalia kit. They then recode the car.

The problem I have is that the alarm will not trigger when the towbar electical connector is removed and the trailer stability program is not being activated, which is indicated by the ESP light going out 2 s after the ABS light goes off. Bulb detection and an image of a car with trailer attached on the infotainment system is present.

• Like 1

I also found the above out yesterday when a mobile fitter arrived to fit my Westfalia Detachable Swan Neck Towbar. He was expecting to find what he referred to as a 'red plug' hidden behind the carpetting on the left rear wheel arch. He found an entirely new style plug. Westfalia confirmed this is a new factory (VAG) fitting and they are working on a new module that will fit the plug.

So. Once the plug/module issue is rectified then the factory tow bar prep is worth it as it will be eally straight forward to fit the shorter loom.

Also worth noting is if you require the use of a 13 pin to 7 pin adapter then you will need the additional piece of loom that runs from behind the glove box to provide charging through to your caravan. If you ony intend to use 13 pin connections then the simple loom will suffice.

The mobile fitter also confirmed cutting into the loom will affect the electrical system warranty so 'frenching in' a 'red plug' is not the way forward.

Currently I am waiting for a call from the mobile fitter, who in turn is waiting for a call from Westfalia. I will keep you posted!

Edited by airscool
  • Like 1

I asked Skoda CS and the build code for towbar prep is PKZ, which is on my car.

The issue is that Skoda are fitting an updated wiring loom that has a different style connector on one of the two connectors that mate with the towbar module. I spoke to Westfalia UK tech support and they are aware of this recent issue but as yet don't have an updated towbar module! Wesfalia are the exclusive supplier of towbar solutions for VAG. The towbar kits that are supplied to the dealers will not physically connect the towbar module to the new style plug on the factory fit wiring loom. Thier solution is to disconnect the factory loom and install the loom that came with the Westfalia kit. They then recode the car.

The problem I have is that the alarm will not trigger when the towbar electical connector is removed and the trailer stability program is not being activated, which is indicated by the ESP light going out 2 s after the ABS light goes off. Bulb detection and an image of a car with trailer attached on the infotainment system is present.

Seems odd about the alarm and ESP. Could be it uses the fog or reversing light circuit to detect a trailer is connected?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I now have a car that has been fitted with the right towbar electrics and more importantly, coded correctly. After two weeks of ownership and a total of 4 days at the dealer, if I had not carried out any research or read the handbook from cover to cover, I would still be driving round blissfully unaware that the dealer hadn't coded the car correctly. Case closed!

• Like 2

You too are finding that the dealer knowledge of the new MQB platform is variable - some know it well, some not at all!

Are you sure the towbar prep was fitted at the factory? I thought if it was, all the coding was supposed to have been done already as the towing control module is fitted - it jst needs a short loom from that to the socket and you should be good to go.

Mine had towbar prep at the factory, towbar fitted by the dealer and has just been back for coding.. Probably would not have realised anything was wrong if I wasn't on here.

In response to airs cool above you only need the additional look if you want caravan split charge electrics to charge caravan battery and run ridge on the move. You can still use a simple 13-pin to 7-pin adapter for lighting without additional cable.

Skoda now have the full electrical loom available for caravans as of June.

Lastly the part about ESP sensing the plug being fitted and altering concerns me. How does it know if you have a caravan or cycle carrier?

Exactly! It should be a user selectable option to deselect the trailer stability control if you don't have a trailer attached. I also have towbar mounted accessories and want lighting and alarm enabled, parking sensors disabled but the ESC setup as a car only. As it is a modification of the ESC, how does this affect the driving characteristics of the car in an emergency situation without a large mass in tow?

I also found the above out yesterday when a mobile fitter arrived to fit my Westfalia Detachable Swan Neck Towbar. He was expecting to find what he referred to as a 'red plug' hidden behind the carpetting on the left rear wheel arch. He found an entirely new style plug. Westfalia confirmed this is a new factory (VAG) fitting and they are working on a new module that will fit the plug.

So. Once the plug/module issue is rectified then the factory tow bar prep is worth it as it will be eally straight forward to fit the shorter loom.

Also worth noting is if you require the use of a 13 pin to 7 pin adapter then you will need the additional piece of loom that runs from behind the glove box to provide charging through to your caravan. If you ony intend to use 13 pin connections then the simple loom will suffice.

The mobile fitter also confirmed cutting into the loom will affect the electrical system warranty so 'frenching in' a 'red plug' is not the way forward.

Currently I am waiting for a call from the mobile fitter, who in turn is waiting for a call from Westfalia. I will keep you posted!

Any update on this, all I require is a 7 Pin for a trailer board surely this will not be too difficult