Big problems filling my Superb with benzin

Hi.

I have a Skoda Superb Combi Elegance 1.8 TSI from 2011. I have had it since it was brand new.

Every year I drive from Denmark to Italy or other southern countries. And EVERY TIME i get fuel problems.

When I've driven for hours with 170+ km/h and I drive into a gasstation, it clicks when I have 1-2 liters onboard, and filling takes 30-40 minutes, since it will only take about 0.7 - 1.0 liters per minute.

I have visited my skoda garage, who the first year replaced my tank, but now they tell me I should bring a hammer, and hit the fuel pipe where it meets the tank under the car (ehhh)...

If I park the car, opens the tank and waits for some time the problem goes away.

Does any of you experts have any ideas what I could do. It driving me nut, since I'm using alot of time on gasstations, and believe me. I'm not the popular guy on the german autobahn gasstation.

Thanks in advance.

From - "If I park the car, opens the tank and waits for some time the problem goes away."

It sounds like some sort of airlock - the tank breather or something to do with the fuel return to the tank ?

I would ask the garage again - to check those systems

Chris

Don't put the fuel nozzle right in, try putting it in about an inch and a half, and squeeze the trigger slowly, you could also try holding the filler in different positions, your air vent could also be blocked.

If you had bought the diesel you could have gone to the next pump 350  miles down the road

Edited by skippy41
  • Like 1

Don't put the fuel nozzle right in, try putting it in about an inch and a half, and squeeze the trigger slowly, you could also try holding the filler in different positions, your air vent could also be blocked.

If you had bought the diesel you could have gone to the next pump 350  miles down the road

I tried every angle without succes. I will talk to the garage again to make them change both the tank + the pipe.

Are you saying that this problem only happens after long high speed journeys?

Yes. 100% every time I drive through Germany with 170 km/h. For instance from Ferry to South of Berlin in high speed.

I'm running a diesel superb. Have the same problem from time to time.
Didn't Think about it at first, other than "thats a Little annoying".

But it seems to happen with some pump/nozzle/handle types. I'm not quite sure how many different pumps there is though.
I'm driving both in Denmark and Sweden and it happends mostly in Sweden.

My conclusion is that it's some kind of compatability issue somehow.

I'm running a diesel superb. Have the same problem from time to time.

Didn't Think about it at first, other than "thats a Little annoying".

But it seems to happen with some pump/nozzle/handle types. I'm not quite sure how many different pumps there is though.

I'm driving both in Denmark and Sweden and it happends mostly in Sweden.

My conclusion is that it's some kind of compatability issue somehow.

Damn it. Since I was considering buying a TDI 170 DSG, but if people is having same problems with that model, I will consider leaving skoda.

I drive Superb 2010 TDI 140. This happens to me if I park my car too far from the pump, so that hose goes almost horizontal from the pump to the car. What helps (always), is that I put the nozzle in the car, step on the hose so the hose is U-shaped, and then start filling. Why does this help I have no idea, but it always works.

• Like 1

I drive Superb 2010 TDI 140. This happens to me if I park my car too far from the pump, so that hose goes almost horizontal from the pump to the car. What helps (always), is that I put the nozzle in the car, step on the hose so the hose is U-shaped, and then start filling. Why does this help I have no idea, but it always works.

Doesn't the tank owners wonder why you're standing on their hose ?

I have a 2010 1.8TSI and it has happened to me twice recently but only in Northern France. The first time I was at a small filling station and only managed 8 litres before I gave up. I stopped

later on a Motorway but had the same problem. Back in England and the problem vanished. After long or short journeys I've had no issues since.

Baffled from Bolton

Graham

Doesn't the tank owners wonder why you're standing on their hose ?

I'm not exactly standing, I'm just pressing the hose with my foot, the hose never touches the ground. So far it didn't bother them  :notme:

I've not had it yet with our petrol car but it's not just a Skoda thing. Friend's have had it with Audi, Ford, Mercedes, Rover, etc... it seems to be dependant on the fuel nozzle at the pump as some stations you can just drive in and fill up, some you have to hold it out slightly from fully in and at a 45 degree angle, etc...