what is your favorite single malt?

oilburninnut

• 3 weeks later...

I tried some yamazaki the othenight, I was pleasantly surprised. Anyone into their Japanese whiskies?

Also tried the Ardbeg now and I'd probably stick to the Lagavulin. Tried a couple of the Dalmores (12 & cigar malt) missed a trick on tryimg the king Alexander III.

I've been a fan of Japanese whisky for a few years now.  Was talking to a chap on the Suntory stand at Whisky Live about three years ago.  He was really interested in our thoughts.  I became a bit star-struck when the interpreter came over and introduced him as being their master distiller  :blush:

This one's really rather nice - comes alive with a bit of warmth:

PICT0061_zps2946ca61.jpg

I really like the Ardbeg's, and have two on the go, but I find them quite hard going recently and prefer things with a bit less wallop.

Gaz

• Like 1

Sitting down after too much dinner, just home from mother in laws and cracked open my Christmas present to myself... Bottle of 10yr old talisker. Been too long since I was able to enjoy a dram of good scotch :) its too friggin expensive to be buying decent stuff here, not that I do enjoy our Irish whiskies too, alot of em are a bit ****e

• 3 weeks later...

Not a malt,. but this goes straight into my number one spot of epic drinks 

4K1U2197-500x500.png

Oh my goodnesss, this is unbelievably amazing, a perfect balance of bitters and sweet, like G&T in 4D

It is £38 a bottle, fair enough, but worth every last penny.  Even with crap Aldi tonic, it rocks on and on.

AMAZING.

I prefer peated,  My favourite at the moment is Old Balluntruan.  The undeclared age is actuall better than the 10 year, and not badly priced.  (Nicely paired with some good Belgian beer!)

1484178_10201547686309169_249243510_n.jp

I prefer peated,  My favourite at the moment is Old Balluntruan.  The undeclared age is actuall better than the 10 year, and not badly priced.  (Nicely paired with some good Belgian beer!)

1484178_10201547686309169_249243510_n.jp

A Glenlivet

Nice Whisky

Good choice

Spent ages doing a gin thread and it crashed, balls, so I'll harp on about it here

Anyone tried Opihr Oriental Spiced Gin?

Cardamon fuelled, coriander laced wonder.  Curry notes and not at all balanced, but WOW!

It won't suit everyone, but a straight g&t with this is very interesting and a lovely diversion from the norm.

They recommend it with ginger ale and yes, that rocks too.

Worth a try.....

The Warner Edwards Rhubarb gin beats it soundly, but still a great "different" drink to interest your guests  :cocktail:

Hugely off topic as you say.......I like Gin

Usually drink plenty of of when on AI on Holiday...even Local made Gin can be OK...ish

BUT

Its not in the same league as Malt Whisky ......or ever will be

But lets not compare....Not the thread for it

A Glenlivet

Nice Whisky

Good choice

Glenlivet?  I didn't know that!  I can't keep track of who owns which brand. 

On another subject, my favourite whisky shop, Milroys of Soho has closed - apparently for refurb.  I hope it does re-open!

Glenlivet?  I didn't know that!  I can't keep track of who owns which brand. 

On another subject, my favourite whisky shop, Milroys of Soho has closed - apparently for refurb.  I hope it does re-open

Its on the label too Glen

Hugely off topic as you say.......I like Gin

Usually drink plenty of of when on AI on Holiday...even Local made Gin can be OK...ish

BUT

Its not in the same league as Malt Whisky ......or ever will be

But lets not compare....Not the thread for it

Oooh, off topic, oh dear-shame it is in the off topic section.  

There's so much snobbery with malt, one of the reasons I don't have that much time for it, or the attitude that it is clearly better than any other drink in the world.

A blind taste test would embarrass many so-called experts who are great at reading the reviews and tasting notes and agreeing with them.

I drink what I like and like what I drink and always like new suggestions of what I could try and as said I set up a favourite gin thread but pc crashed and I did not have the patience to re-do it.

Sorry to spoil a pure thread for the purists of the whisky world, it's never happened to any other threads ever before.