Bought the G3 yesterday, connected it this morning and Text functionality is back, the Z2 will be on it's way back to Virgin on Monday.

Yeah rSAP isn't anything to do with your Network provider, it's part of the Phone OS\Software.

Incidentally I've just noticed this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android_rsap.rsap&hl=en dunno if that would have allowed the Z2 to work, I still currently have the phone as I'm waiting for the envelope to return it but if I get chance I might give the trial version a go before I return the phone.

Edited by EyghonUK

The iPhone is not RSAP compatible so you'll never get the texts on the Columbus or maxidot display, with the iPhone and others in HFP mode the car just acts like a giant bluetooth headset. For texts you need a phone that can function with RSAP mode, like virtually all Android phones, older Nokia handsets (not the new Windows phone ones) etc.

My Nokia Lumia 625 Windows phone works brilliantly in my 2013 pre FL Elegance estate. The car reads out texts and allows me to respond by speaking the text message back if I wish.  My previous Nokia symbian phone wasn't so clever.  

I tried the Trial version of that App but it appears it needs to be updated to make it compatible with the Z2, may be worth trying for people with slightly older phones though.

Hi

My galaxy S3 works fine when receiving text messages but once received with the phone connected to the Columbus I can not get them back on the phone. I have tried the save command which should copy them back to the phone but if it is doing it I have yet to find where it is putting them.

Is anyone else having this problem or Know how to access the saved messages

Regards

Roy

I find it doesnt work generally either but they can be accessed on the SIM via the settings menu on the messages app... Just don't delete them from the Columbus or they get deleted off the SIM.

Once you have copied them from the car to the phone, go into Messages on the phone and then settings and look for Sim Messages, once there you should be able to copy them to the phone itself. I have found that it can take a couple of attempts to get them to copy from the car to the phone. Also found that saving them from the Columbus seems to be more reliable than doing it from the Maxidot, quite often I save via both methods to make sure.

No offence intended but is it worth all this hassle to use rsap. I would hate to have to sit in the car and press buttons or lose text messages, and the only advantage that I can see (if it is one) is having a text displayed on a screen as opposed to spoken to you.

Have I missed something?

No offence intended but is it worth all this hassle to use rsap. I would hate to have to sit in the car and press buttons or lose text messages, and the only advantage that I can see (if it is one) is having a text displayed on a screen as opposed to spoken to you.

Have I missed something?

and then reading a displayed text is surely dangerous, I'm surprised it's not been outlawed. My phone doesn't do rsap and i'm kinda glad, the Mrs writes texts like War and Peace - I'd need to pull over to read them.

That is one argument, cars are getting more and more linked with FB, SMS, Email etc, but it's a lot safer to read a text on the Maxidot\Columbus or having the message read out by the car than if you were tempted to pick up your phone and try and read it on there while driving. I do on the other hand think writing text should be disabled while the vehicle is in motion, but of course the system can't yet tell if it's the driver or passenger that is doing the typing.

Have I missed something?

AIUI the choice is RSAP, where texts can be either displayed or spoken to you, or HFP where the car knows nothing of texts so can't speak them to you.