Correct Jacks for Underbody Work

ionfly

Hi all. I'm doing an oil change on my 2003 Fabia 1.2. Just got back with the gear (filter, pump pliers, oil) and ready to go... I was going to Jack the car up with the tyre jack that came with the spare wheel, when I noticed the warning. Is it worth picking up a floor jack, or is this just health and safety being overprotective? Obv I wouldn't get under the wheel, so figured if it did slip, worst would be a bang on the head. Thoughts pls?

Never trust ANY jack. Hydraulic ones can fail all of a sudden too. If you're sticking any part of your boys under the car, use axle stands. You don't really want over 1000kg forcing your head into the floor. I nearly had that when I didn't use an axle stand and now I've learnt.

• Like 1

I'd never trust scissor jacks for anything more than an emergency wheel change, and you'd want the other wheel under the car even for that to be honest.

not word = trust

word = tolerate  :)

The 'spare wheel change jack' should only be used for changing the wheel. When working under the car the car should be supported on ramps or axle stands.

OTT for occasional / rare use.

These will do the job fine.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/trolley-jacks-axle-stands/halfords-2-tonne-axle-stands

Although if you need a reasonable jack, you may as well spend £50 and get the whole set - it isn't the highest quality kit, but for DIY use will do the job(s) fine and safely.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/trolley-jacks-axle-stands/halfords-5-piece-lifting-kit

Cheers bud, went with the black ones in the end - ran out of patience!

Having a bit of trouble getting the sump plug off with an alan key and a hammer... Any tips?

Nice one. Well, I gave the plug itself a whack to try loosen it, applied some heat (held a lighter to it for a couple of minutes), and it still won't budge. Looks like I might have to take it to the shop after all... Grrr...

If you've got a length of scaffolding tube or something similar, slip it over the end of the Allen key. The extra leverage this affords is usually enough to budge a stubborn sump plug.

Good luck.

No need to lift the car at all for an oil change, nor to remove the sump plug. Just warm up the car and use vacuum oil extractor to extract oil via dipstick tube. Much cleaner, you get more oil out than through the sump plug (because you can vacuum oil filter housing/oil cooler, and overall the change is much faster and less hassle. I use Sealey TP69, but there are plenty of others. Worth buying one that can be operated single handed, helps while vacuuming oil out of oil filter housing. I had Pela 6000 before which worked, but was not so handy, as it would dismantle itself when operated single handed.

Edited by dieselV6

whenever you jack the car up to remove a wheel. loosen the wheel nuts while the car is on the ground as this avoids trying to strain on the wheel brace when the car is raised which can cause the jack to fall over. Once you remove a road wheel, lay the wheel and tyre under the suspension arm or sill so that if the worst happens, and the jack fails/leans over, then the  weight of the car is taken on the wheel and gives you  a valuable 'space' should you be underneath it. You may end with a damaged alloy but you'll be alive! :)

OTT for occasional / rare use.

These will do the job fine.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/trolley-jacks-axle-stands/halfords-2-tonne-axle-stands

Although if you need a reasonable jack, you may as well spend £50 and get the whole set - it isn't the highest quality kit, but for DIY use will do the job(s) fine and safely.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/trolley-jacks-axle-stands/halfords-5-piece-lifting-kit

I bought the same jack as in that set by itself when I was a bit up **** creek and didn't have my big jack to hand. That was about 3 years ago, I've used it probably once a month on average, had one corner of a transit on it more than once, and it's been fine. Not bad considering I thought it'd be crap and die with a couple of weeks of daily use. 

Hi all. I'm doing an oil change on my 2003 Fabia 1.2. Just got back with the gear (filter, pump pliers, oil) and ready to go... I was going to Jack the car up with the tyre jack that came with the spare wheel, when I noticed the warning. Is it worth picking up a floor jack, or is this just health and safety being overprotective? Obv I wouldn't get under the wheel, so figured if it did slip, worst would be a bang on the head. Thoughts pls?

OLD QUESTION - if you have to ask, are you capable. ONLY SAFE way to get under car is if it's on AXLE STANDS. Why nor invest in a set of ramps, since drain plugi s at rear of sump., because you still have to get at the under tray. Not flaming, but old safety proverb- normal man uses belt. Cautious man uses belt and braces. But to be safe ,I'd use belt/braces and a bit of string.  If you've ever had a car move on what you thought was a solid suport, next and everty time after, you will take precautons.

Edited by VWD

A car landing on your face or chest will probably kill you.  Definitely get good set of stands and a good Jack. Most of the time you will only need one stand for working on one side. 

Also sump plugs with Allen key fixings do my head in as they can round of easily but if you use a cheap Allen key it can help round it off because they are so soft and sh.t. good Allen key and about a 12 inch bit of pipe and you should be grand. Sometimes there as a hex on the outside as well for a socket. Usually a 17mm or so. If so go for that option as its much stronger. 

Unfortunately it is true that good tools make jobs easier and last longer.  Good luck

OLD QUESTION - if you have to ask, are you capable. ONLY SAFE way to get under car is if it's on AXLE STANDS. Why nor invest in a set of ramps, since drain plugi s at rear of sump., because you still have to get at the under tray. Not flaming, but old safety proverb- normal man uses belt. Cautious man uses belt and braces. But to be safe ,I'd use belt/braces and a bit of string.  If you've ever had a car move on what you thought was a solid suport, next and everty time after, you will take precautons.

Thanks for that VWD - axel stands advised and purchased, as stated in the thread before you posted. 'If you have to ask, are you capable?' A fair point, and truth be told probably not without guidance, which is where the forum comes in. Admittedly, I don't know a great deal about motors, but want to find out more without taking evening classes, so do my research and check my facts here. We are all here to learn, no? Seeing as an oil change is a fairly simple procedure, and an important part of regular maintenance I figured I'd give it a go - asking about jacks and axel stands wasn't something I'd thought of before I went to do it, so decided to ask on here - an old question it may be, but I've not asked it before, and I couldn't see it in any of the other threads on the site.

We're all here to learn mate, that's the beauty of forums like is, so that all of us noobs can benefit from the advise of those with more experience who are willing to share their wisdom. If you feel a thread is daft or beneath you, then why comment on it? Safety first, of course... And for me, this place is a major cog in the safety mechanism.

• Like 1