Sparkly's Racing Barge 1.8tsi 4x4

Sparkly

It is wrong in every which way for track work :)

But if you come down to Castle Combe in September you will see it being thrown around with the Fabia's, Octy's and loony Yeti's

Very tempting....

I'll watch this space!

DC

Very tempting....

I'll watch this space!

DC

I'm already booked in.  I am just deciding on what work I can realistically get done on the car in the mean time :D

You're right. It needs to be better. R8 V10 it is then! Or one of those W16 engines from a Toerag?

Won't fit, there not enough room under the hood.

Look for a V6 from a Passat perhaps, maybe a turbo conversion if it's possible, or a tweaked 2.0 TSi, which would be

a a simple swap, but might need a new transmission.

The car already has 4wd, so it could easlly handle the probable 250 bhp / 280 ft.lbs  torque.

DC

Won't fit, there not enough room under the hood.

Look for a V6 from a Passat perhaps, maybe a turbo conversion if it's possible, or a tweaked 2.0 TSi, which would be

a a simple swap, but might need a new transmission.

The car already has 4wd, so it could easlly handle the probable 250 bhp / 280 ft.lbs  torque.

DC

I'm hoping the car can stomach a little more than 250bhp David

I'm hoping the car can stomach a little more than 250bhp David

I'm sure it could, but that's what you'd expect from a basic re-map without any other modifications.

It's enough for road use in a long wheel-base FWD car, I find that if  "S" is selected & one attempts a swift departure, then

using full throttle is not a good idea.

I'd hate to use the launch control facility on my own car, the FWD would just not cope, but your AWD would do a much better job. 

It's nice to punt around in a big silver barge with & surprise people, no-one ever expects that it can actually go!

SWMBO's vRS Octy looks much more "sporty" & it is, but it hasn't got the "Q" car effect....

DC

I'm sure it could, but that's what you'd expect from a basic re-map without any other modifications.

It's enough for road use in a long wheel-base FWD car, I find that if  "S" is selected & one attempts a swift departure, then

using full throttle is not a good idea.

I'd hate to use the launch control facility on my own car, the FWD would just not cope, but your AWD would do a much better job. 

It's nice to punt around in a big silver barge with & surprise people, no-one ever expects that it can actually go!

SWMBO's vRS Octy looks much more "sporty" & it is, but it hasn't got the "Q" car effect....

DC

Stage 1 Remap is about 200bhp on a 1.8tsi, Stage 2 with TBE will give circa 225bhp.  I'm hoping to get the car somewhere north of those numbers.

The 2.0tsi does leapfrog even stage 2 1.8tsi's at a simple stage 1 with no additional modifications but such a heavy car and front wheel drive mean at the upper end of tune I would be fearful that it would have issues laying down the grunt.

I have no "S" mode or launch control as mine is a manual, I have a deteriorating clutch at the moment so swift acceleration from standstill is a little noisy to the point of being unhealthy but when in good condition weight, traction and tyres currently far exceed the power the car has so no drama even with the most aggressive start.

• Like 1

Have to give serious consideration to some KW V1's given the offers on at Awesome GTI. Still slightly bigger as a spend than the £150 I was thinking of setting aside for springs alone.

Also the car only scraped through the MOT today so I need to sort a new set of tyres. Probably will grab Vredestein Sessanta's

Car taken today to my tame mechanic for a service today.  Cannot fault the guy, apart from being a Vauxhall VXR fan.  We chatted over future plans and what is and what isn't easy to do short term on the car.

Very easy chassis tweaks available include RARB, Springs, Dampers and the lower engine mount.

The car has only done 50,000miles and it's a little early as per Skoda to change the plugs but I decided to pop in some BKR7EIX's.  The plugs that were in were suffering a bit, the engine looks to be running extremely lean, I'll post pics in a little while.  Anyway the plug change certainly feels like it has perked the car up a bit.

Ordered a set of Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's to replace the budgets on the car since purchase.  All part of showing the 'Perb a little more love.

Oh I also forgot to mention, some tween in a Polo took my drivers side mirror clean off last week, with that, the pebble dashing down the side and a ding on the boot from Manchester Aiport CarPark I must surely be done with bad luck :)

So Mr Wheeler has kindly agreed to sell me the 1.8 that previously powered the YeTT-RS Complete with all the goodies to go direct to stage 3 on the superb.

The bonus is my clutch is iffy and I am using oil at an alarming rate, hopefully this can be solved when the engine comes out, if not it will be a straight transplant :)

IMO best off doing straight transplant and then work on oil consumption issue when it's out and no time constraints
  • Like 1

Excellent! I am lookong forward to seeing you on the track. Do you have a provisional timeline for the transplant?

If I get very lucky before the National Meet at Rockingham.

But now I am moving with the project, power is only a part of the big picture, handling and brakes need to be looked at. So we will see.

I have given up drinking so that provides a modest monthly budget for tinkering :)

• Like 1

That is going to be a very sweet running superb Superb! 

Congrats to the deal! 

Would be a very nice autobahnstormer!

• Like 1

I'd need to have a look inside the plug to tell but from what I can see is lots of ash deposit meaning burning oil in all pots.

It also looks like the ignition advance is too much, there should be a dark(er) line roughly 1/3 up the ground electrode.

And yes, from the bit of the center ceramic bit I can see it could perhaps use a little bit more fuel.

I think because of the appetite for oil ECU reads the combustion as rich and leans it out.

Otherwise plugs are healthy, no damage and no signs of detonation.

• Like 1

I'd need to have a look inside the plug to tell but from what I can see is lots of ash deposit meaning burning oil in all pots.

It also looks like the ignition advance is too much, there should be a dark(er) line roughly 1/3 up the ground electrode.

And yes, from the bit of the center ceramic bit I can see it could perhaps use a little bit more fuel.

I think because of the appetite for oil ECU reads the combustion as rich and leans it out.

Otherwise plugs are healthy, no damage and no signs of detonation.

Thoughts on the oil consumption Jabo cause/solution? I changed oil from 5w30 to 5w40 this service. Will see how that goes.

I am looking forward to seeing this done Sparkly.

Got to be tempting to go the 2.0 route though while you are in the process.

• Like 1

Thoughts on the oil consumption Jabo cause/solution? I changed oil from 5w30 to 5w40 this service. Will see how that goes.

There are two ways for the oil to get into the combustion chamber in the quantities we are talking about here i.e. very small. Large amount of oil being burned manifests itself usually as a James Bond style smoke screen behind your car :).

In this case we have valve train or the pistons or more precisely piston rings. In charged applications valve train is less likely a culprit since any oil passing through valve guides along valve stems and into the combustion chamber will be pushed back due to charge pressure. That leaves the pistons and the rings.

As you know my experience with VAG motors is with the now infamous yet brilliant twincharger.

I have seen a report, probbly even through Briskoda, of worn oil scrubber rings causing oil usage, Replacement fixed it.

The most current, not sure if you follow mk2 vRS part of the forum any more, is the piston oil cooling jets. VAG is replacing them and it stops the oil usage, Apparently CAVD engines got it right and they are taking parts from those motors.

So oil is passing the piston rings from the crankcase and into the cylinders. This is exacerbated by high crank case pressure.

Also, a "thicker" oil helps as well. I am using esther oil Motul 5W-50 Sport with high resistance to fuel oil dilution. This seems to almost stop the oil use but does not cure it - I will be needing squirters replaced.

The other thing which almost ALL VAG engines suffer from is a dreadful exhaust manifold design. Cast iron log type unequal very short runners design implemented is simply unusable and kills those engines. Waay to much scavenging leads to poor combustion environment leading ECU to go bonkers, overfuelling or leaning them out. 

I'd not mod an engine without sorting out the exhaust first. Some tuners got it completely backwards and employed stiffer valve springs to cure this issue. Stiffer valve springs are a great idea but it will not sort the underlying issue which is the engine suffocating. Exhaust first then the sky is the limit or the flow of the turbo actually :D.

• Like 1

Something like the 3" APR downpipe mated to the K04 Jabo? ;)

Thanks for the response, very informative. I know we have talked about that Motul 5w50 oil before and it sure looks good. Certainly something I will consider when the engine work is completed.

Photos of my Spark plugs from the change.

Have been replaced with NGK BKR7EIX's

Do these look like the car is running a bit lean?

What mileage was on those plugs out of interest?