Looking for Jobs

Adam_

Having recently been made redundant from my current role I have been looking for jobs daily online and sending my cv off to those that I'm interested in but the last time I had to look for a job was 12 years ago and this modern way of applying is doing my head in.

there is no interaction at all just fill in the forms and wait.

I miss the good old days of speaking to someone that actually works at the company you're applying to.

Anyway the search goes on and the company I work for have offered me a different role but on less money which isn't ideal. I have 5 weeks to find another job and I can leave with my redundancy money if nothing comes up before that I'm going to have to take the other role.

Rant end.

What industry are you working in?

I changed jobs and location earlier this year. I am in the IT industry and only 3 sites to have my CV and covering letter on.

I had a total of 3 interview and It took me a couple of months before I got offered a job. I had one email address on the website, and a different one on the CV (Normally filtered out on who actually read my CV)

Most of the people you will talk to are recruitment agencies, and they will want to get a bit of a background and have a chat on the phone. (Usually this determines whether you can speak properly, especially if it is a role that requires you to be face to face, or on the phone)

When on the job search sites, get applying however don't fully believe the adverts themselves. If it is vaguely in the right direction, then I went for it.

Generally when I got to the interview stage I found the roles were very close to what I was interested in anyway.

Just keep plugging away, update the CV every few weeks and be patient.

The system isn't fantastic but good luck with the job hunt.

• Like 1

Fingers crossed for you in finding something.

What line of work are you in, if you do not mind me asking?

Maybe someone can point you towards something.

george

At the moment I'm an MTM Technician in a white goods factory. But worked my way up from the factory floor.

I'd consider anything really as long as the pay isn't too low.

Edit* What I mean by that is I'm thinking I'd like to try something different but equally as rewarding. I dont mind what type of work it is as long as I can get stuck in.

At the moment I'm an MTM Technician in a white goods factory. But worked my way up from the factory floor.

I'd consider anything really as long as the pay isn't too low.

Edit* What I mean by that is I'm thinking I'd like to try something different but equally as rewarding. I dont mind what type of work it is as long as I can get stuck in.

I'm not being disparaging (thick maybe but not disparaging), but I have no clue what this is, so you should explain it better unless you're limitting yourself to similar roles with other companies. 

I'm not being disparaging (thick maybe but not disparaging), but I have no clue what this is, so you should explain it better unless you're limiting yourself to similar roles with other companies. 

MTM Technician.

MTM is a scientific way of working out the time it takes for things to be done. Using the MTM system we create rates for manufacture and improve layouts for efficient and cost effective improvements for the business.

But I'm not limiting myself to this type of work. This is a job I have found myself in by working my way up through the business and although I would say I'm good at it, it was all part of me working even further up the ranks.

At the moment the business is struggling and as last in to my department (There is only me and my manager in my dept) I am the first out.

• Like 1

MTM Technician.

MTM is a scientific way of working out the time it takes for things to be done. Using the MTM system we create rates for manufacture and improve layouts for efficient and cost effective improvements for the business.

But I'm not limiting myself to this type of work. This is a job I have found myself in by working my way up through the business and although I would say I'm good at it, it was all part of me working even further up the ranks.

At the moment the business is struggling and as last in to my department (There is only me and my manager in my dept) I am the first out.

Ah, what used to be called "Time and Motion" or "Job Costing" work (I said it was me being thick). I presume there are professional qualifications you can study for in that field then? That's the best way of getting far enough up the ladder from where you are now that the only way you'd get "let go"  is if the whole business goes under.

Ah, what used to be called "Time and Motion" or "Job Costing" work (I said it was me being thick). I presume there are professional qualifications you can study for in that field then? That's the best way of getting far enough up the ladder from where you are now that the only way you'd get "let go" is if the whole business goes under.

Ye. I've got the qualifications. But honestly it not my dream job so I'm using this as an opportunity to look at different kinds of jobs. I miss being hands on really.

What skills have you got? What kind of work is enjoyable for you

Qualification wise not much :( I've got my MTM qualifications, NVQ's in Word, Excel and Team leading.

Academically not very much. School was not my thing but work is.

If you get what I mean. I like working.

I always tailor my CV accordingly to the role, and stick with one agency, one who wants to see you and interview you themselves. That way you can build a rapport with them and they wont put you forward for jobs not suited for you. Also agencies like that have a reputation for being good in the employers eyes.

Then be yourself at interviews, research the company and where it is, go have a look at the staff at the end of the day as Staff dont always have lunch, or the good ones dont, but they still leave on time-ish. Then you can see hwat they wear. Then you can turn up in smart yet suitable clothing. No point wearing a suit for a welders role, but dont wear ripped jeans for an Accountants role either.

Then be honest, don't be all polite and innocent. Don't be rude either. I always try to get a semi rude/arrogant joke in somewhere and maybe go to swear but correct yourself and so on. I have a bit of a potty mouth, no point being a christian at the interview then turn up like the scottish bloke in the thick of it on day 1.

I have done all this and been offered every job I have gone for! twice offered a better job I have gone for. And both times in 'depression' periods.

• Like 2

In Aberdeen we have a roaring oil industry, (not saying it to rub it in) but when my mates ask me the best way to get into it i tell them to find the companies they would like to work for and personally go around them and hand their cv and cover letter in, be super polite to the people on reception and most of the time it works, even if the company aren't looking for staff at that moment in time they should keep your CV on record incase something comes up.

the other way would be to go and sign up with whatever agencies you have in the nearest town centre. I am Speaking out of experience living in Aberdeen of course, but i have found that most companies now just go to these agencies to recruit staff, as it gives the employer must more flexibility, i.e if they are a rubbish worker, they can be told to not come back at any point in the first 6 months, so they do't have to give you a probabtion period and there are plenty of other people they can take from the agency without having to re interview other candidates. once you get into the company and show them your a good worker, they will usually offer you a full time contract. After 6 months you are legally entitled to the same perks as an employee, i.e they can't just sack you without good cause, you get the same holidays and wage.

there are about 10 to 15 such recruitment companies local to me, but i'm pretty sure, Raeburn recruitment, Manpower and Tulloch recruitment are also operating in England.

note:

These recruitment companies split their workforce into 3 groups tho, 1, the poor workers, who have let the agency down before or have little inititive, 2, the workers they can rely on, they show up everyday and never cause any trouble 3. the guys with degrees and experience coming out their ears. obviously level 2 & 3 guys get all the good and well paid jobs, level 1 would be people usually on the dole, but have to find a job so the agency is obliged to help them.

I currently use a recruitment as a managment company for my own limited company, i.e they phone me, tell me what rig they want me on and for what company then i invoice the recruitment company as apposed to the company i am being contracted out too.it saves me having to find new contracts when one has ended and ensures a steady stream of work, Just now i have a 2 & 2 rotation for the next 18 months.

But good luck, there is nothing worse than feeling like you are taking a step back in life when you have obviously worked hard to climb the ladder already!

• Like 1

if you want to relocate, i'll get you a job spooling subsea pipes, easy job, £250 a day, but your stuck on a boat or a dockside for 2-3 weeks! :-) i get sea sick so try and stick to the rigs! lol

• Like 1

if you want to relocate, i'll get you a job spooling subsea pipes, easy job, £250 a day, but your stuck on a boat or a dockside for 2-3 weeks! :-) i get sea sick so try and stick to the rigs! lol

Relocation is not an option at the moment :( but that job sounds ace to me. Real work.

• Like 1

I think you might have a few wanting this job haha and on that where do I sign up lol

Qualification wise not much :( I've got my MTM qualifications, NVQ's in Word, Excel and Team leading.

Academically not very much. School was not my thing but work is.

If you get what I mean. I like working.

I think most roles will call this production processes - certainly that's what it was called when I was at college almost 20 years ago.

Friend of mine does this and is pimped out by his employer to other company to set up new production lines, streamline existing manufacturing processes and a bit of quality control and auditing as well.

Boring work (his words) but seems to get paid very well.

• Like 1

Ye. I've got the qualifications. But honestly it not my dream job so I'm using this as an opportunity to look at different kinds of jobs. I miss being hands on really.

Ah, it was when you described yourself as a technician, which I mentally translate as "practically experienced but with no qualifications towards a professional certification". 

I'll leave my wife, when can I start

I think you might have a few wanting this job haha and on that where do I sign up lol

lol, it sounds better than it is, you sit in a booth and press a button to start the reel, keep an eye on the tension, then press it again to stop it. very boring! set up a limited company and get your butts up to invergordon, they are always looking for guys. Also got a mate who employs lads offshore to be deck hands on boats, 6 weeks at sea and not a woman in sight! :-/ lol there are plenty of guys that fly up from England, do a 2 week shift offshore then fly home again. if your serious pm me and i will put your cv forward, sadly i don't vouch for people anymore after being let down in the past, but will happily put your cv to the right people. 

Just to rub it in i'm on 650 a day, lol obviously this is where the money is! but must admit, it's not for everyone, it is long shifts and your away atleast 2 weeks at a time, then your 2 weeks at home just fly by! :-( also will be missing the birth of my son in November and his first christmas, as i don't fly home till the 28th. :-( but that's the nature of the beast i suppose.