Is my Vrs soon to be past it?

My vrs is on 182k , and it's going up daily. Is it worth me putting money into it or shall I just run it until it's dead and get a lower mileage one?

I know it won't be worth much with such high miles on.

I would personally run it until either it does or it becomes uneconomical to spend money on it. I know it will still need servicing but if something big goes wrong then maybe think about changing it.

That's why I got rid of my old car. Cambelt due, slight leak in rad and oil leak on back of the engine. To repair all that would be 3x the value of the car

Sent from my Galaxy S5

You are going to get many different responses to this buddy as we all have different requirements from our cars to a point. Mine is at almost 160k but to me has loads of life left in it. It is maintained regardless of cost as it is not the selling value I now care about. Just because a car has no resale value is not a reason to me to not spend on it further. As to get a car as clean and reliable for me would be a almost new car anyway.

• Like 2

I see where you're coming from bud. That's kind of the line of thought I'm on. Keep it running until it costs too much to repair. Hopefully with it being well serviced I'll see well over 200k in it.

Im with bowders on this, mines on 130k but im still moving forward with it

I really think a well looked after car on 128k is barely middle aged in car life especially today

I only serviced it 3months ago but im already thinking abiut it next service.

Any work you can do yourself is a big bonus

I can do pretty much most things myself so hopefully keep costs down. Just did a oil and filter service and tbh the engine seems absolutely sound. Think some pipes could do with replacing soon but that's it really.

I'm also with Bowders. My car is at 120k and tbh I cant imagine it driving any better when it was new. Fresh suspension on, nearly new conti tyres, fresh bushes as and when, serviced on the dot, they'll last these things if you care for them. As for this stuff about not worth spending more than its worth I dont agree with that either. Yes maybe if your a car dealer it makes sense. How much is a good reliable car worth? When I look at cars there aint many I'm changing mine for right now. To me, I dont go with what parkers tell me its worth, I go on how much its going to cost me to replace it with a better car. And there's the problem!!

• Like 2

I hope I can add to this; 92k stage 3 conversion.

Since 60k been running stage2 and since 75k been running stage3 and the only perceived change is accelerated bush and rubber wear.

These engines (AUQ) appear bullet proof. And although my car is worth, maybe, 1k to Parker, to me it is a reliable way to go from A to B

As long as the oil is changed regularly and warmed up steadily, they will not let go

I will carry on with paying for cambelt and water pumps every 40k miles, even if that half the value of the car!

• Like 1

"These engines are bulletproof" lol famous last words, after a mate of mine said that his and another friend of ours s3's both had big issues lol.

But like you say the General opinion is that they'll last if looked after.

Thanks guys, you've given me more confidence in my car.

Keep it well maintained and you'll have a winner.

Every time you do a service change the pickup pipe (I just include it into my 3k service schedule) and only ever use a good quality oil, i use Millers Nanodrive 5w-30 or 5w-30 i forgot.

Always warm it up and cool it down after a beating, use a good quality fuel

Simple as that.

• Like 1

Keep it well maintained and you'll have a winner.

Every time you do a service change the pickup pipe (I just include it into my 3k service schedule) and only ever use a good quality oil, i use Millers Nanodrive 5w-30 or 5w-30 i forgot.

Always warm it up and cool it down after a beating, use a good quality fuel

Simple as that.

I agree with you, I always warm up, and cool down the car properly, and service my car every 5k, with good quality stuff. I`ve done my pick-up pipe about 10k ago(at 90k) I`ll do it again in about another 40k, as I think every 50k is about right going off what I`ve read about it. I seriously think doing it every 3k is way over the top personally though.

Edited by VeedubyaGTi
  • Like 1

Changing the oil pick up pipe every 3k is maddness.......i changed mine (the original one lasted 125k) & the old one was clean but i changed it anyway as i had the sump off. Agree that changing it every 50-60k will be fine. 

How much does it cost to replace pick up pipe?

If your doing it yourself then its just the cost of the oil & filter,a sump plug,some sealant for the sump & the pick up pipe,if your paying a garage then there will be a labour charge of around 1 & half hours as the sump has to be removed to get to the oil pick up pipe. 

176k. Totally reliable. If it needs work I will pay for it. Much cheaper to run an older car and pay for the odd repair rather than HP and depreciation. Oil changes every 18k. Modern oils much better than stock 20/50 we used to use.

My diesel rolled passed 234567 miles the other day.  Mechanically it isn't doing too badly.  1 replacement set of shocks (front & rear), rear beam bushes and new bushes in the front wishbones....

I think a wheel bearing has started to fail too (not sure which one yet), but otherwise it has just had service items, so if looked after well, there is no reason to think there is plenty of life left!  I am waiting till something expensive fails and then I think the car will probably be scrapped, but hopefully that will be a few years from now!

• Like 1