Octavia really thirsty on antifreeze?

Dear all,

Iv'e done 14k on my new Skoda octavia and this is the 5th time im having to fill up with antifreeze becuase its dropped below the MIN line... Has anyone else has this problem?

Im no guru when it comes to engines, so why is my car drinking so muhc antifreeze? does it mean im driving it too hard etc?

cheers,

Jack Miers

The loss of Antifreeze is due to a Leak (fault) not your driving.  

It is a matter for a proper check by the Dealership Workshop with the Manufacturers Warranty paying for any repair.

That is unless it is stone damage or external damage since you collected the car.

george

The loss of Antifreeze is due to a Leak (fault) not your driving.  

It is a matter for a proper check by the Dealership Workshop with the Manufacturers Warranty paying for any repair.

That is unless it is stone damage or external damage since you collected the car.

George

We bought our first new car in 1989, a Rover Metro City.

Within weeks, I came out of the office one night to a pool of fluorescent green liquid under the bonnet.

Phoned the dealer and he told me top it up with water and get it in where they'd fix it under warranty.

When I picked it up, he presented me with an invoice for £14 (this was 1989 bear in mind)............turns out refilling the expansion tank with "Rover approved" antifreeze wasn't covered even if the loss is caused by a failure that IS covered by the warranty ("fluids are never covered under warranty, Sir").

I learned a lot about sharp practices that day.

Why there is no BL / Rover dealerships or Manufactured cars by them now.  

Some Dealerships in 2014 are still like that,

some service managers and Dealer Principals, technicians etc are still serving customers 25 years later and have that same attitude.

& some younger staff copy their behaviour.

george

• Like 1

As previous posts suggests it indicates a potential problem.

The coolant exists in a 'loop' topped of by a header tank, the levels vary slightly between cold and hot but typically don't need a top up at all.

If you're losing it at the rate you suggest, make your next journey to the dealer.

• Like 1

Why there is no BL / Rover dealerships or Manufactured cars by them now.

Some Dealerships in 2014 are still like that,

some service managers and Dealer Principals, technicians etc are still serving customers 25 years later and have that same attitude.

& some younger staff copy their behaviour.

george

I've met some of them fairly recently LOL

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Took the car to dealer-

They acknowledge there is a "major" issue either with engine coolant leaking or engine.

they spent a weak on it and couldnt find out what it is

Been told to let it break down then call skoda recovery and il get a loan VRS...

How hard can it be too find a solution?????

Took the car to dealer-

They acknowledge there is a "major" issue either with engine coolant leaking or engine.

they spent a weak on it and couldnt find out what it is

Been told to let it break down then call skoda recovery and il get a loan VRS...

How hard can it be too find a solution?????

Go to a different dealer that actually knows something about cars.

• Like 1

I guess the dealer wants to spend more time on it, but to get a loan car from Skoda Assist the car must break down. So let the coolant run low, the warning light will come on. Call out Skoda Assist who provide a loan car and take car to dealer.

Personally I'd contact SUK as the dealer is potentially storing a whole lot of trouble for you and expense for Skoda and I bet SUK won't be happy with the dealer's attitude so far. They may well contact the dealer direct and apply pressure to sort this. By contacting them now you also have a record of doing so should it go pear shaped later on. Good luck.

How hard can it be to find the leak. Just follow each pipe and rub your hand on it for wet patches. Same with the carpets inside. Check under the mats if nothing under the car

Sent from my Galaxy S5

How hard can it be to find the leak. Just follow each pipe and rub your hand on it for wet patches. Same with the carpets inside. Check under the mats if nothing under the car

Sent from my Galaxy S5

If its leaking from an internal gallery in the engine he wont find any external evidence of a leak.

But a dealer should be able to test for contamination of the coolant and oil. If it is leaking into a combustion chamber this should be able to be detected as well.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Totally agree. Last time I encountered a problem like this was on my son's Astra a couple of years ago. A cylinder pressure test quickly revealed a gasket leak between 3 and 4 cylinders. Car continued to perform OK as the leak was small but just sufficient to cause the gradual loss of coolant.