VRS TDi start up query

Hi All,

I've had my new TDi VRS for a couple of weeks now. Firstly I LOVE it! 3rd Octavia I've had, previous ones were mk2 2.0 sport (petrol), then the mk2 facelift 2.0 TDi elegance, now this beauty!

They really have upped the quality stakes on the build. This is a beautiful car and really does feel special when you drive it.

Steering and handling are amazing and the engine (on about 1400 miles) goes like a rocket now I've got used to the peak gear changes which are different to my old TDi. I'm sure as I get more miles on it, it will open up even more, as my last two did.

The only thing I think they've not done so well are the doors (inside). The old ones had the bit for keeping a bottle in at the front, tilted back and slightly separated, but now it leans forward with no narrow bit, so when you take your bottle of water or whatever out, the other crap in the door pocket slides into the gap. The new door design has also not got the same brilliant speakers that were in the mk2's. The Bolero stereo is still good, but it's lost the really full bass that they used to have (even sub bass!) The bass is still good but the very lowest frequencies are lost now. Maybe it will improve will more use.

Amazing car nevertheless!!

Anyway, quick question, I've searched the forum but can't find it mentioned so thought I'd ask you wonderful peeps.

When I turn on the ignition from unlocking the car and getting in, sometimes the dials do their spin from min to max and back and sometimes they don't. Also the stereo screen sometimes shows the animated VRS logo, sometimes not and just shows what it was on when I last turned the car off. This is when I've turned the ignition on but haven't started the engine yet.

Seems very random... 

Anyone else noticed this with theirs?

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by deebeedee

Interesting.. Well I never use Eco, I normally use Normal, then Sport sometimes but usually switch it back to Normal when I've finished burning about.. haha! So usually it's in Normal.

When you unlock it starts booting the media system immediately, so if you are quick you will get the logo, of you are slow it's already booted up and goes direct to the last screen you were on is my guess.

Also, if you go back to the car within 15-20 mins of last use the system will have remained booted up (so when you get fuel for example you don't have to wait when you get back in the car).

I would guess, the needle sweep only does it when you get in quickly after unlock?

This is all guess work based on how the many VAG cars I've driven work, but a couple of patterns for you to look for!

When you unlock it starts booting the media system immediately, so if you are quick you will get the logo, of you are slow it's already booted up and goes direct to the last screen you were on is my guess.

Also, if you go back to the car within 15-20 mins of last use the system will have remained booted up (so when you get fuel for example you don't have to wait when you get back in the car).

I would guess, the needle sweep only does it when you get in quickly after unlock?

This is all guess work based on how the many VAG cars I've driven work, but a couple of patterns for you to look for!

Nice one mate, that could be why then, sometimes I faff about for a minute instead of just turning the key straight away, so maybe that's it. :-)

Mine seems to only give me the VRS logo if the system was on when car stopped if turned off before switch off then you don't get anything as it's off I spose.

Nah If it's off when I turn the car off, then it stays off anyway. This is all if I leave it on as I turn the car off, then next time I turn the ignition on, it's random as to whether the logo shows or not and whether the speedo and rev counter dials do their sweep..... odd...  :-)

I think this is all related to power-saving & the time between when you unlock the car & when you actually get in & turn on the ignition.

After stopping the car, some functions like the navigiation unit or Maxidot will stay active for a short time (so that they don't need to restart completely for a short stop).

Maybe 15 minutes or so.

e.g. the Maxidot stays on for some time to display mileage & the time.

If you turn back the ignition during this time then you probably wont get the gauge sweep or vRS logo in the navigation dispaly because these modules are already "powered on"

After leaving the car for a longer time, they will power-off completely.

When you unlock the car, this will send a "wake-up" request to all of the modules on the car.

If you are quick getting into the car you will still see the navigation vRS logo, but if you wait some time the navigation will turn directly on as it has already started.

I would expect the gauge sweep to always happen in this case though.

• Like 2

I think this is all related to power-saving & the time between when you unlock the car & when you actually get in & turn on the ignition.

After stopping the car, some functions like the navigiation unit or Maxidot will stay active for a short time (so that they don't need to restart completely for a short stop).

Maybe 15 minutes or so.

e.g. the Maxidot stays on for some time to display mileage & the time.

If you turn back the ignition during this time then you probably wont get the gauge sweep or vRS logo in the navigation dispaly because these modules are already "powered on"

After leaving the car for a longer time, they will power-off completely.

When you unlock the car, this will send a "wake-up" request to all of the modules on the car.

If you are quick getting into the car you will still see the navigation vRS logo, but if you wait some time the navigation will turn directly on as it has already started.

I would expect the gauge sweep to always happen in this case though.

Probably would have been easier to just +1 my post ;)

Only thing I have experienced on my VRS Estate is when I got the car and turned the ignition key nothing happened for about 15 seconds it then started with fizz and chattering from the relays behind the dash (Only happens in cold temps). So I think the electrics are to blame (or relays so the garage thinks) 

The radio didn't work the day after I picked the car up, but then started working after a couple of hours (mystery) 

Only thing I have experienced on my VRS Estate is when I got the car and turned the ignition key nothing happened for about 15 seconds it then started with fizz and chattering from the relays behind the dash (Only happens in cold temps). So I think the electrics are to blame (or relays so the garage thinks) 

The radio didn't work the day after I picked the car up, but then started working after a couple of hours (mystery) 

Man, that doesn't sound right at all... I haven't experienced that any time I've started the car.

I sent the query to Skoda and a really nice chap rang me yesterday. He said it was a random thing, that when you turn on the ignition sometimes the system will self test the most important things, and sometimes it will test everything. This sounds a bit mad to me, surely each time you drive you want to be sure the entire car's systems are spot on.

Anyway, I think I've found something. Last couple of days, I've noticed that when I get in the car, if I wait for the dash display (showing the time) to go off and then turn the ignition on, then it seems to do the needle sweeps and the full VRS logo on the stereo screen. 

I only noticed the first time because I was sorting a few things out in the car before starting up so the time display had gone off, so I tried again the next time and it seemed to be the same.

So I guess it is related to the comments above from josedebardi and gabbo. Thanks guys!

• Like 1

Ive been keeping an eye on this for a couple of weeks. Seems completely random. Mode makes no difference and neither does how quickly I get in and start the car. I think it could relate to the weather or direction the car is pointing but not sure yet.

• Like 1

I thought I'd cracked it the other day, by turning the key from 'everything off' position to 'ignition on' position but turning it a bit more slowly than before. It doesn't work every time though...

Edited by deebeedee

Ive been keeping an eye on this for a couple of weeks. Seems completely random. Mode makes no difference and neither does how quickly I get in and start the car. I think it could relate to the weather or direction the car is pointing but not sure yet.

Or whether there's an R in the month........or whether the tyres have got mud on them........

You're right, all sounds a bit random to me.

• Like 1