fix or get rid?

Dudeoli

So I've been putting off doing the heater matrix pipes for a months now, and I've had a knocking noise develop on idle which I'm pretty sure is the DMF.

Now my clutch has started slipping (again, although I never actually replaced it the first time).

The question is, do I flog the vRS and buy something new or do I fork out a load of money to fix the clutch and DMF?

Bare in mind it's done 148K miles...

So I've been putting off doing the heater matrix pipes for a months now, and I've had a knocking noise develop on idle which I'm pretty sure is the DMF.

Now my clutch has started slipping (again, although I never actually replaced it the first time).

The question is, do I flog the vRS and buy something new or do I fork out a load of money to fix the clutch and DMF?

Bare in mind it's done 148K miles...

If your cars tidy why not do an engine transplant Saw this you could revive yours with this as a donner?

http://auctions.motorhog.co.uk/vehicle-list/details/2005-skoda-fabia-vrs-tdi-1896cc-diesel-manual-5-door-hatchback-at-mj-autos-mj-autos/239709?x=0&type=0&make=SKODA&trns=0&fuel=2&catc=0&dist=0&sort=0&srch=fabia

why do an engine transplant to fit a secondhand clutch and flywheel which may fail a couple thousand mile later (or could already be slipping).

clutch and fly in and away you go :)

My thoughts are 80K engine against 148K and a spare box to boot  The DMF I assume could be checked before installing. Obviously its all very speculative, but the costs could be offset selling the donner cars bits left over such as the interior, ecu, steering wheel. alloys and undamaged panels etc etc 

Dear god, this forum is becoming the last refuge of the junkyard dogs!

If you sell the car as a fixer-upper and leave enough meat on the bone someone will buy it, do all the work themselves and make a small profit and welcome to it.

I sold my Sharan VR6 for £250 to a local fella years ago and I still see it on the road, it needed a grand and whole load of time spending on it, bloke was well made up with it, I told him exactly what it needed to fix it and I made more than scrap value. Super result.

My thoughts are 80K engine against 148K and a spare box to boot The DMF I assume could be checked before installing. Obviously its all very speculative, but the costs could be offset selling the donner cars bits left over such as the interior, ecu, steering wheel. alloys and undamaged panels etc etc

each to their own. but its a gamble to buy a car hoping the parts that you need are ok. then there is the effort of taking the clutch out. and braking it for parts. assuming you have space and by the time you put that much time into it you might as well have chucked the clutch and flywheel in yourself and saved garage labour.

with clutches and why wheels. the effort of removing them its best to spend the extra. buy new and be done

even if you put the clutch amd flywheel in it and get rid of it. as a healthy running motor. worth more :)

Why not spend a bit of money on the servicing but over a more relaxed time rather than all at once.

I've had my car for like 8 years from new now, that isn't bad given the work I have had to have done (touch something wood)

115K and still original turbo and clutch/DMF ! Drive accordingly and it shouldn't fail suddenly

YES the turbo is noiser, and I've been told since a good 10-15K it could probably benefit being done.

YES I can hear the DMF, like you and probably do the clutch the same. Bearing in mind its been doing it since 80K ish, its not the end of the world is it.

But you know what, I have a spare turbo anyway and I'm either going to keep running til it fails, or possibly next year when I have a bit of savings sorted (which most is going to pay off some of my new house) I don't think I will mind lashing out on what I consider as rejuvenating

If I make the components more like new I might rethink over remapping the BLT then as it would need egr delete anyway.

I haven't got the know how to swap out engine and gearbox, never really done more than change the oil myself. Luckily now I'm commuting by bike so I'm thinking just keep it parked up and fix what I can when I can. Seeing a I'm not doin such high mileage anymore I'm thinking of getting a petrol (for the first time)