Best options for lowering vRS

Kevin_Mc

Hi all

I'm wanting to lower my vRS once i've fitted my 17" Spiders. What's the best option for the Fabia?

I'd like minimal arch gap without being so low that it ruins the handling and ride quality. I've had coilovers on a previous car and wound them right down, took helpers out, removed bump stops etc. and although it looked good, the car was a pog to drive.

I like doing the odd track day so handling is important, but i don't think lowering springs will sit it low enough for me on 17s.

Also, cost is a big factor - a friend of mine's had cheap coilovers on his Golf and they were terrible. I don't want cheap ones if they're crap but equally can't justify £1,100 on coilovers.

Any advice?

I'm looking at Jom coilovers from venom Motorsport only £180 and I have heard some good things about them. I'm going for handling aswell so will also be adding uprated arbs in the future.

Here they are

http://www.venommotorsport.com/manufacturer_product.php?manufacturer=JOM&category=suspension&product=BluelineCoilovers&make=Skoda&model=Fabia

Bilstein Streetline kit or Bilstein B8 shocks with Eibach pro spring kit.  Add Whiteline or Jabba sport RARB.  As you say, avoid cheap coilovers as most just ruin the ride and handling.  You don't get something for nothing where suspension is concerned.

Edited by SEVrs

I'm looking at Jom coilovers from venom Motorsport only £180 and I have heard some good things about them. I'm going for handling aswell so will also be adding uprated arbs in the future.

Here they are

http://www.venommotorsport.com/manufacturer_product.php?manufacturer=JOM&category=suspension&product=BluelineCoilovers&make=Skoda&model=Fabia

JOMs seem a tad tooo cheap to be honest...

I am looking at APs due to price point and possibly Bilstein

As someone who previously had JOM's on the car, I can only echo the above comments. AVOID! They are really harsh and rattle your teeth out!

I've just fitted a set of KW V1's to the car. I have lowered it a healthy amount, and the ride is unbelievable!! I can genuinely say that I now prefer the way it rides to how it was standard. The only slight downside to standard is that I have to hit speed bumps a bit slower. Otherwise, they are absolutely fantastic :)

So I would say if you want both a decent ride as well as handling, then I'm afraid that you need to spend more £££. I honestly wish I'd have just waited for a bit longer and bought some decent kit from the start. Please learn from our experiences!!

JOMs do seem really cheap but they're maybe more suitible than lowering springs. I did consider JOMs as they were almost cheap enough to be throw-away.

How much were the KWs if you don't mind me asking?

I had FKs on a Punto and although they were firm i didn't think they were too crashy.

ETA: is there anyone in the Central Belt that runs JOMs who would 't mind taking me a spin til i feel them?

Edited by Kevin_Mc

I have joms on mine and dont find them crashy or to harsh there a lot softer than the coilovers i had on my 200sx

How long have you had them? I was like that at first. 

"These aren't too bad actually" Then a few month down the line, rattling down the road driving to work at 7am. "Wish I never bought these ****ing things" 

My dash developed so many rattles and squeaks it drove me insane

• Like 1

I have aps fitted to mine abs they are ace! And i use it like you, a daily, not to low, and handful of track days a year and they are perfect! Wound all the way down eith adjusters and bump stops in on the back and the front the same hight! Well worth the money :)

Ilmor

The KW's are about £800 new. Bilstein B14's are another one that I was contemplating also - they'll be just as good.

As above really... When you buy JOM's, you initially think they're not as bad as you were expecting. After fitting these KW's I have now seen the light and finally realised how bad they were!

As for AP's - they're definitely a fair bit better than JOM's and are still good value for money. They're not in the same league as the KW's from my experience of them though.

I have joms on mine and dont find them crashy or to harsh there a lot softer than the coilovers i had on my 200sx

City boy, all show and no go, there is absolutely no way that you would say what you're saying if you drove a lowered car with well sorted suspension, it's night and day.

I had joms on mine for over a year and even though they were bouncy I didn't find them too bad. The wife virtually refused to go in it though as it was so bouncy and my dad was never impressed with it if he had to come to work with me. In the end I took them off and put some eibach springs on and although it's sits too high for my liking I love the ride. Joms are a good kit for looks but you've already said you want abit comfort so from my experience with joms and what I've read about ap I'd say go with ap coilovers

Ive had them on for about 6 months and done 5000 miles on them and have no rattles as i took the locking nut off inside the sleeve and put ptfe tape on them to stop them coming loose wich is very common with them, i also changed top mounts, bearings, ball joints and polybushed my lower arms

JOMs are too cheap and bouncy.

AP are the best at the price point, around £400.

KWs are IMO the best but you pay for that and if the car isn't going to have a fortune spent on it I can't see the point in spending around £1,000 just on the suspension.

For road use I'd happily run the APs.

I have Weitec Hicon GT's which I believe are from the same company that manufacture's KW and AP suspension kits.

The ride is excellent not too firm but holds the road very well and makes the car look sporty and aggressive. As others have said don't buy cheap and if you use them in conjunction with a RARB and quality tyres you will have a massive improvement over the standard setup.

I'd also recommend AP's, I drive 70 miles a day on them down terrible B roads and they are holding up pretty well, haven't got a RARB yet, but thats next on the list along with bigger brakes to fully sort the handling out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk