H&R Springs - A Quick Review

I have just ordered a new VRS hatch and I too think there's to much air above the tyre, however I have a back injury which makes an overly hard ride painful.

I currently have a Mk1 VRS fitted with H&R springs and Koni FSD shocks, I now find the ride to firm and hence painful, I don't want to change the springs and find I'm in the same boat.

Are the eibachs a little softer?

• Like 1

Dont have a Mk3 but had Eibachs on a few cars now.

Eibach springs are usually progressive so the ride isnt much harder over small bumps but the spring gets harder the further its compressed so can get a bit crashy over large bumps

You could fit 17" wheels to help the ride and use Eibach springs to give the look and the handling you want

• Like 1

And may I ask how is the ride after they have settled?

I have to admit I found them a bit too harsh but I have always been a coilover fan anyway so always planned to upgrade to KW V1s (as I have done on all my recent cars) so I'm probably not a fair comparator......

• Like 1

Hi Nookiebear,

Do you have a full picture of your VRS? 

It looks very nice!

Thanks… selection of pics (others in my gallery).

H&R's were fitted by dealer prior to collection so it's been lowered from day 1.

First two pics with standard rims were taken on day of collection, and the rest are various pics taken after the fitting of the 3SDM 0.05's (18x8.5 ET42) and Heko deflectors.

IMG 0504

IMG 0507

CIMG1374

CIMG1379

CIMG1377

Next on the list is a (proper) Milltek twin exhaust system!

• Like 2

Love them wheels. Really suits it

Thanks… bit like Marmite - people either love them or hate them!

The styling of the 03 vRS is all about straight lines and defined angles, so the 3SDM's seem to fit in quite well with this.

A couple of side benefits also, are that as they're 80% of the way towards being 'full' wheels they nicely disguise the hub rot that always becomes visible through the spokes of most alloys after a year or two, but they still leave a perfect window to allow the brake callipers to be clearly seen, and they're the easiest wheels to clean I've ever owned.

Thanks… bit like Marmite - people either love them or hate them!

The styling of the 03 vRS is all about straight lines and defined angles, so the 3SDM's seem to fit in quite well with this.

A couple of side benefits also, are that as they're 80% of the way towards being 'full' wheels they nicely disguise the hub rot that always becomes visible through the spokes of most alloys after a year or two, but they still leave a perfect window to allow the brake callipers to be clearly seen, and they're the easiest wheels to clean I've ever owned.

Sounds like win win win to me. My wife just saw me looking at the post and commented on how much she hates them though so you are right about the Marmite effect.

Yes, you're right about the Ferrari rims… I hadn't actually realised the similarity.

The drop on the springs is just over 40mm front and rear (H&R state 40mm but it's slightly more - at least in the case of my car), and I haven't modified any other part(s) of suspension, so it's still running the standard shocks.

When first fitted there was a noticeable difference in the ride quality, certainly more harsh and speed bumps (the little short ones) needed to be approached with caution, but the roads in Jersey are absolutely appalling (the government over here like to throw all the money at the finance industry, advertising Jersey as some sort of upcoming Cayman Island, but with *%$@ weather, and don't spend bugger all on the infrastructure) which made it seem worse than it actually was.

Within a month of getting the car I did a 2500+ mile round trip to the south of Spain, and the engine and suspension were basically 'run-in' in the single 17 hour 1150+ mile trip down there, and on the French/Spanish motorways, which are as smooth as glass compared to Jersey roads, the ride was perfect - very solid, comfortable and precise with hardly any roll - and since returning to Jersey I now find the ride has softened massively and it copes nicely with the lumps, bumps and ridges as I would expect a 'sporty' car to do.

I've driven a couple of other cars recently, one being an E-Class Mercedes Estate, and while wonderfully smooth by comparison, I absolutely hated it - It was like a boat, wallowing around corners with a noticeable need to hold on to the steering wheel when at moderate speed around roundabouts to stop you from ending up in the passenger seat.

I never thought I'd be keen on a firm suspension set-up, but having owned a couple of new Audi's and having changed the springs on the vRS, I now like it. It makes everything more precise and you can 'feel' the road as you should be able to.

There's been a couple of comments made on various threads about the lifespan of the existing shocks (where retained with lowering springs) due to their constant pre-compression, but I can't comment on this as it's too soon since having had the springs fitted, but I would expect that it will shorten their useable life, which is OK by me as it's my intention (when I can afford it in a year or two) to fit fully adjustable coilovers.

Long and short of it is, if you want a kiddy carrier that the wife will drive and you don't want her bending your ear about how difficult it is for her to put her make-up on and do her hair while on the way to school in the morning, then stick with the standard suspension (or just go get a Renault Scenic)!

• Like 2

LOL, no, no worry on that, actually my wife drives her own vehicle. A humble Honda Jazz, but fitted with H&R and modified shocks ;)

Thanks for sharing your driving experience and the image of you (or any driver) holding on the steering wheel to avoid ending up in the passenger seat is really exhilarating!

Thank you!

Nookiebear,

Do you know the reference from your H&R springs?

I´m a little confused about what to choose, Eibach or H&R. I my old car i had coilovers, but the price for the RS it´s huge from H&R  :x

As in stefano1's post above, H&R's for Octy 03 Combi are 28833-2.

The standard Octavia Mk3 Saloon/Combi uses H&R part number 28833-1 (Fit models with Front Axle Load up to 1010kg).

The VRs Octavia Mk3 Saloon/Combi uses H&R part number 28833-2 (Fit models with Front Axle Load of 1011kg upwards).

You can double check the figure on the plate on the inside of the front drivers door.

• 5 months later...

Since 4 days i´m waiting the dispatch of this springs from Dm Tuning...

Anyone order this week? It´s normal to wait such a long time only for dispatch?

They are on the way :-)