Is Britain becoming more stupider and or slash (/) dumberer?

@Lee

H&S is a load of **** IMO

I do an evening motor vehicle engineering course and to go under a vehicle during practical we have to wear a hard hat and glasses! I'm sorry but I don't see how the hell a hard hat is going to help me if 1.5 tonnes of Skoda lands on me! Out here most farm tracks are better than single track roads! GCSE grades have got rather slack and easy over the last few years! I did mine last year and got straight B's and C's as long as you've read through course notes it's easy and IMO some subjects aren't difficult enough. As well as my generation have no ambition or just have wild dreams! (Don't mention a certain Fabia 1.8T) a lot of them need a reality check!

Just my opinion!

Leave it out Lee! Are you trying to make me self combust?

Might be the only way he can, since I saw he did his annual clearing out of his ash tray in the Fabia the other day.  :thumbup:

• Like 2

Might be the only way he can, since I saw he did his annual clearing out of his ash tray in the Fabia the other day.  :thumbup:

yeah thankfully that's that emptied for another year. Probably time to vacuum the floor next :(

T.V is a fair barometer of how the country is doing i would say, and with the current slew of mindless, irresponsible, I want something for nothing oxygen wasters being paraded round it's no wonder many of the younger generations don't care any more. All they see is these idiots getting rewarded so why even try, I also agree with toxic that the gcse's don't seem to be a challenge it's all about the pass rate and not the quality of education on offer.

• Like 1

1) We built the planes the airlines (BAE/BOAC) asked for. Then they bought Boeings anyway as they were less durable but cheaper to run. The VC10 ended up running certain empire routes..... Oh, but those dried up too in the wake of Idi Amin etc.

2) Politicians and the economic realities of the banking crash. I still can't quite believe the complete bolox they've made of the decision though. Reminds me of the Chinooks ordered with no software, that needed complete avionics replacements before being sent overseas.... 6 months after they would have been handy to have.

3) Usually they do a good job fixing them quickly on the M'ways. Other than that, see economic downturn and council finances.

4) Pople don't let politicians get away with things. Their fellow politicians do..... until it becomes an unsupportable position. Then they turn on the weak ones. :)

5) A mutated bizzare combination of wanting to reduce risk coupled with ambulance chasing bull****.

The rot started with the "Comprehensive System"; having moved house in and out of the Grammar system as a child, I can tell you the Grammar system, even at secondary level, was MUCH tougher. The educational theorists got into power and decided that no child should fail, and that no child should be perceived as smarter or better than any other, so the bright kids got ignored and the dumb ones were made to feel smart.

Can anyone else here remember when the C.S.E was introduced?? THERE WAS NO FAIL, As long as you turned up and put your name on the exam paper you got a grade!!!!

At least back then, they were willing to admit the new exams were easy, the top C.S.E. score was the equivalent of a "C" at "O" level; the lowest passing grade at "O" level!!

I see the anal ranger is alive and well. Too busy picking fault (as usual) 

to spot the obvious play on words in the title. Here's a special message from Toxic

especially for you...

Do one... Please :)

• Like 4

Has the weather changed or something?

Everyone's on a downer  :rain:

It's gorgeous out there today, mid September and t-shirt weather......enjoy  :sun:

• Like 4

I see the Daily Mail readers are alive and well.

Oh, and the title should be "more stupid"; there is no need for the er on the end.

there's no need for the 'erer' after dumb but I put that in as well ;)

• Like 3

Coming back to the people nit-picking about education systems and 'easy' GCSEs, I always have to smile when people pick fault with rising academic grades.

There is rightly in this country a constant drive to improve standards, both in teaching and learning. The accountability of teachers has risen massively in recent years, exams continue to be more stringent, and all schools are constantly working to achieve better results, so of course grades will rise. Educators are constantly improving their methods to help students learn more effectively, and students, even from a very early age, continue to learn better year on year. The shift is gradual, but the end result is the same, more and more students will achieve higher grades. 

When people talk about older examination systems being 'harder' they are partly right - achieving the same standards was more difficult, but that isn't because the expectations have dropped, it's because schools have found better methods for teaching the required skills and knowledge, the same standards are, therefore, easier to achieve as the students have been better prepared throughout their time in education.  The only time grades start to dip is when they have to be adjusted to match progression. e.g. an 'A' is supposed to be the level achieved by the top, lets say 10% of kids. If more students achieve that standard in a particular year, the bar has to be raised, so there might be fewer As for a few years until progress inevitably catches up.

We are, as a nation, becoming better educated, but, as others have stated, that does nothing to break down the ever-increasing barriers of politics and bureaucracy which, I can agree, get pretty bloody stupid sometimes.

• Like 1

I see the anal ranger is alive and well. Too busy picking fault (as usual) 

to spot the obvious play on words in the title. Here's a special message from Toxic

especially for you...

Nice try Gary.

If you can't attack the argument attack the person.

Nice try Gary.

If you can't attack the argument attack the person.

There was an argument???

I'm sure most of us saw a minor insult followed by a smattering of pedantry.

Nope, just checked again, no argument that I can see.

• Like 2